Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Scale worship output by race cost? (changes will be applied retroactively)

No (flat 0.3E/T/u, break-even times 3T, 5T, 8T, 13T, 19T) (pro: Balances T4-based agents, contra: Takes forever to break even)
- 6 (33.3%)
Yes (1/3 creation cost/T, break-even times 3T, 3T, 3T, 3T, 3T) (pro: 3x break-even ratio preserved, contra: Low-tier races useless)
- 2 (11.1%)
Yes ((tier + 1)/3, break-even times 3T, 6T, 8T, 10T, 12T) (pro: Maximizes above two's strengths? contra: Maximizes above two's weaknesses?)
- 9 (50%)
Yes (other scale posted in thread)
- 1 (5.6%)
Yes (another scale posted in thread)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 71

Author Topic: Ye Gods Lite OOC [Open]  (Read 72443 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods Lite OOC [Open]
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2016, 09:41:36 pm »

Fakeedit: Question was already answered, I just had to read a bit more.

Will we be learning our Sphere powers through trial and error, PM, or other?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2016, 09:44:25 pm »

Stirk: Yes, but Resurrective requires Hard to Kill rather than Harder to Kill (and this tells me that one of them will need a good rename)

Rolepgeek: Sphere powers: By PM, for the most part.

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2016, 09:47:15 pm »

Stirk: Yes, but Resurrective requires Hard to Kill rather than Harder to Kill (and this tells me that one of them will need a good rename)

Rolepgeek: Sphere powers: By PM, for the most part.

Oh, I misread then :p. At least I got the concept right.

((I vote naming "Harder to Kill" "Die Hard", keeping the general theme name while adding a pun that fits its function.))
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:49:35 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2016, 10:06:21 pm »

2.) Don't borrow from litigious folk. :P
You really have to stop worrying about that. ::) No one's gonna sue you or Toady because someone did a Super Saiyan in your game.

Spoiler: Let's find out! (click to show/hide)
I.....what? Sorry, I don't know how to math this hard. Could you explain in simpler words?

((I vote naming "Harder to Kill" "Die Hard", keeping the general theme name while adding a pun that fits its function.))
Please no. I was looking all over the traits list before I remembered that "Resurrective Immortality" was being called "Will be Back".

Agility, Smarts, Strength, Spirit, and Vigor are defined nowhere.

May the Immortal GM-God of Ye Gods grace us lowly peasants with the mythical Angel Template?

$$$
Price check on [Can't Use Magic] where the subject cannot use magic but is no more resistant to it than normal
Price check on [One School of Magic (school)] where the subject can only use one specific school of magic, assuming it can use magic at all
Price check on [Unaging] where the subject cannot age
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:18:58 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2016, 10:16:14 pm »

Andres, did you look at the Savage Worlds supplement?

Also, I agree with KJP, though on the principle rather than because of worries about copyright. Just don't rip off GW, and you should be fine.

And did you read what I said about the Affinities?

My guesses for the price check: -1 trait point (80% confidence); -0.5 trait point (40% confidence), and +3 trait point (50% confidence)

Question, KJP: Does having a high Worship reduce how much Influence you benefit from? What about vice versa?

Side note, Pantheons currently ends with the line, directly before the example laws, "Pantheons with more than 5-6 members are strongly encouraged to create a". I just wanted to let you know, though I think most people can guess what you would say there.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2016, 10:25:40 pm »

I couldn't find any traits similar to these, sorry about these KJP.

$$$
[Infertile]: Cannot reproduce.
[Fusion Breeding:] Breeding requires the fusion of several individuals.
[Authority Equals Power]: Higher-ranking individuals of the race are more powerful.
[Savage]: Technological progress is slow.
[Mutualism]: Has a natural friendship/affinity with another species.
[Gluttonous]: Possesses organs that can digest most organic matter.
[Wild Child]: Cannot be tamed/subdued/intimidated.
[Nomadic]: Most groups of the species lack permanent settlements.

If this complicates the system I can just make this flavour.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:40:59 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2016, 10:29:05 pm »

And so it begins  :-\. Time will pervert KJP's simple system into something just as complex as before.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2016, 10:31:42 pm »

Andres, did you look at the Savage Worlds supplement?
Up until you mentioned it, I didn't know anything about such a supplement. I'd just expected to find all the information I needed in the Trimmed Tome o' Information. Now I've seen the supplement and I am distraught. This is supposed to be Ye Gods Lite and the new rules are several pages long! How is that "lite"!? Even if we're only cherry-picking some of the rules, why are those rules not included in the TToI? I am not going to read through 16 pages of rules from a completely different game just to find out what "Vigor" does (and it doesn't even explain what it is in the supplement!) YG, YG2, Litany, and Symphony all did traits better than what we have now.

And did you read what I said about the Affinities?
I did but the rules seemed to change arbitrarily so I don't think you quite had it right. Close, but not exactly right.

EDIT: I've calmed down a bit and I realise that my claim that "this is the worst traits system EVAH" was going overboard. That said, I still think that reading the entire supplement shouldn't be necessary and all the cherry-picked necessary stats should be included in the Tome.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:16:12 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2016, 10:42:57 pm »

Just call it YG3, it already is...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2016, 10:49:14 pm »

Just call it YG3, it already is...
That implies that it was an advancement rather than a simplification.

EDIT: To clarify, this isn't an insult or a complaint. YG2 added a bunch of features while clarifying how some of the rules work. YGL takes that and makes it less complex. Nothing wrong with that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:10:45 pm by Andres »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2016, 10:50:54 pm »

Andres. Did you or did you not read the context in which said supplement was involved?

Please stop whining. Because honestly, right now, that is all you're doing. Maybe the impact of my saying it is lessened by Stirk and others (including myself at times) having said you were before, but 'this has more rules than I thought it would have and I have to read a whole sixteen pages now' is whining, without anything resembling a good cause.

It's used as examples for which you can pick hindrances, a general explanation of the sorts of things those attributes refer to (if they weren't obvious from the name, that is, which would have been my first response). It's not meant to be laid out explicitly with exactly what things are. Because then the system can be and will be gamed, and has a lot less flavor and substance to it, once it's torn down to bone and scaffolding.

Like I said, he rounded farther, and the rules didn't really change all that arbitrarily. It's called significant figures. Additionally, you asked for a deeper explanation, KJP gave you one, you said that was too difficult to understand, thus I referred you back to my explanation which is simpler, but not exact, because the exact explanation you said had too much math in it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2016, 10:53:42 pm »

You really have to stop worrying about that. ::) No one's gonna sue you or Toady because someone did a Super Saiyan in your game.

Personally, I am more worried with your critical lack of creativity in creating races  ::).

I.....what? Sorry, I don't know how to math this hard. Could you explain in simpler words?

Agility, Smarts, Strength, Spirit, and Vigor are blatant in what they are supposed to be. Do you really not know what something called "Smarts" is? These are the standard attributes for almost any RPG ever. It is a waste of time to ask for it to be described.

Agility=Dexterity
Smarts=Intelligence
Spirit=Willpower
Strength=Strength
Vigor=Endurance

This is pretty apparent to the casual observer. You really should know what each of these does already.

The Angel Template is just the Agent template  ::).

Up until you mentioned it, I didn't know anything about such a supplement. I'd just expected to find all the information I needed in the Trimmed Tome o' Information. Now I've seen the supplement and I am distraught. This is supposed to be Ye Gods Lite and the new rules are several pages long! How is that "lite"!? Even if we're only cherry-picking some of the rules, why are those rules not included in the TToI? I am not going to read through 16 pages of rules from a completely different game just to find out what "Vigor" does (and it doesn't even explain what it is in the supplement!) YG, YG2, Litany, and Symphony all did traits better than what we have now.

You didn't even bother reading the OP? Its sixteen pages. It isn't hard to read or even just skim. You know, one of your most annoying traits is the fact you don't put any effort into your activities. You will stalk the thread all day, but not put in the hour it might take to actually learn the rules, expecting someone else to come in and give you the abridged version.

Its not "Rules Lite". Its "Lite on the poor GM to keep from overworking him for a third time and murdering the game". The AP system and the traits list are made so that KJP doesn't have to do as much, because the stuff we expected him to do before was an absurd amount. If you want to know what the Rules of the game are, read the book. If you don't, don't expect us to inform you every time you get something wrong.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2016, 11:33:23 pm »

Like I said, he rounded farther, and the rules didn't really change all that arbitrarily. It's called significant figures. Additionally, you asked for a deeper explanation, KJP gave you one, you said that was too difficult to understand, thus I referred you back to my explanation which is simpler, but not exact, because the exact explanation you said had too much math in it.
Ah, so your explanation was just his simplified. I thought you were presenting your own explanation to fill in the blanks. Well, thanks for helping me understand the math involved. :)

Personally, I am more worried with your critical lack of creativity in creating races  ::).
The only uncreative races I've made are humans and things based off of humans. All my other living creations are fairly creative.

Agility, Smarts, Strength, Spirit, and Vigor are blatant in what they are supposed to be.
Not really. For all I know, Vigor is willpower and Spirit is basically a mana level.

The Angel Template is just the Agent template  ::).
*facepalm* Right, right. I keep on forgetting that you were the one with the problem with the angel template. I'm not even sure how I keep making that mistake. :-[

You didn't even bother reading the OP?
I saw the line and promptly forgot about it because it said nothing about -needing- to read it to understand some of the core stats for race creation. I knew enough from the title and its PDF nature that it was a tabletop rulebook and I didn't want to read several pages of rules unless I had to.

Its sixteen pages. It isn't hard to read or even just skim.
For a tabletop game. For a forum game, it's a lot. Even YG2 only had rules 2 pages long and one of those pages was just a list of traits. Moreover, it's a tabletop game about normal people (for a given definition of 'normal') rather than gods. If I have to read a 16 page rulebook to play a god game, I'd like if most of those pages related to all aspects of the game rather than just race traits.

You will stalk the thread all day, but not put in the hour it might take to actually learn the rules, expecting someone else to come in and give you the abridged version.
I'm ok with reading most of the rules in the BBoI/TToI because they're all directly related to the game and they're all substantial, interesting, and without having a bloated size. The 16-page supplement is a lot of words to read that only relate to a single facet of the game. I could spend an hour reading the whole thing and getting bored out of my mind...or I can just read the summary you posted and be done with just a few seconds of reading. Seriously, that summary could be put right in the Tome and nothing of value would be lost.

Its not "Rules Lite". Its "Lite on the poor GM to keep from overworking him for a third time and murdering the game".
Fair enough, but you can see how someone could be confused like that.

If you want to know what the Rules of the game are, read the book.
If I want to know what the rules of the game are, I'll read the Tome. It's one page long and tells me nearly everything I need to know about the game.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:17:20 am by Andres »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2016, 12:18:08 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2016, 12:19:38 am »

How much in game time has passed between ye gods 2 and this one?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 71