Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing skill rust  (Read 2676 times)

HerbalistRanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Removing skill rust
« on: January 09, 2016, 02:46:45 am »

Never edited raws before and cant find recent topics. Has anything changed? I want to do this right..

[PHYS_ATT_RATES:STRENGTH:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [PHYS_ATT_RATES:AGILITY:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [PHYS_ATT_RATES:TOUGHNESS:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [PHYS_ATT_RATES:ENDURANCE:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [PHYS_ATT_RATES:DISEASE_RESISTANCE:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [PHYS_ATT_RATES:RECUPERATION:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [MENT_ATT_RATES:ANALYTICAL_ABILITY:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [MENT_ATT_RATES:CREATIVITY:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [MENT_ATT_RATES:EMPATHY:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [MENT_ATT_RATES:FOCUS:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [MENT_ATT_RATES:INTUITION:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [MENT_ATT_RATES:KINESTHETIC_SENSE:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [MENT_ATT_RATES:LINGUISTIC_ABILITY:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [MENT_ATT_RATES:MUSICALITY:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [MENT_ATT_RATES:PATIENCE:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [MENT_ATT_RATES:SOCIAL_AWARENESS:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [MENT_ATT_RATES:MEMORY:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [MENT_ATT_RATES:SPATIAL_SENSE:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [MENT_ATT_RATES:WILLPOWER:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]

[SKILL_RATES:100:NONE:NONE:NONE]

Will that work if drop at bottom before each new race?

How many races do I need to do this to? My tavern is booming despite all the FUN! i'm having even at pop cap of 30. Must be the waterfall :)
I aquired a goblin, human and elf. I dropped those lines at bottom of their text too. Is there any other race that I need to do this to? Kobolds, gnomes, Demons? I don't know what races can be usable in fortress mode.

I'm a slow learner and just slow. I might like skill rust when I get good but right now Its not fun at all just constant anxiety.

edit- im playing the lastest lazy newb pack. Is there a mod i can get to make this easier for noob?

random thoughts- Maybe i'm looking at this wrong and should accept as the flow of the game. I rather keep skills forever gained than learn how to cheese. Havnt made danger room yet.
WereOtter killed 12 soldiers.. My Great Axedwarf first to go. The Doctor struck the WereLizardman Fisherman in the neck with her <CopperPick>. Severed parts flew everywhere. My new hero.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:44:08 am by HerbalistRanger »

sv-esk

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry for my bad english
    • View Profile
Re: Removing skill rust
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 10:10:06 am »

Is there any other race that I need to do this to?
Animal men. You can do it to all animalmen at once without modifying their raws:
c_variation_default.txt
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON]
   [CV_NEW_TAG:PHYS_ATT_RATES:STRENGTH:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON_LEGLESS]
Also you can make your own creature variation.
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE_VARIATION:NO_RUST_SKILLS]
And then drop one line [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:NO_RUST_SKILLS] at bottom of humans, elves, dwarves and goblins instead of many same lines.
Concrete musical instrument skills and musical/dance/poetry forms skills are not affected by SKILL_RATES.
But they do not seem to rust either.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:18:34 am by sv-esk »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 03:57:34 pm »

I never play with rust on. It's just an extremely time-consuming micromanagement task to make sure everyone performs their job skill at intervals.

Yes, that's the right basic idea. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token is a good reference.

However, you have 50 for the improve cost, instead of 500. That'll make your dwarves advance 10x faster than normal. If all you want is to remove rust, change the 50 to 500.

Add the PHYS_ATT_RATE and MENT_ATT_RATE entries anywhere before the [SELECT_CASTE] tags under [CREATURE_DWARF] in creature_standard.txt. I usually put them right after the MENT_ATT_RANGE entries.

Last time I checked, the SKILL_RATES tag needs to be applied to a caste. So put the [SKILL_RATES] tag right after [SELECT_CAST:ALL]

You should be good to go. That's been a standard mod for me for years and has worked fine.

HerbalistRanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 12:57:28 am »

Thanks guys input helped gonna change the improve cost to 500. The other races didnt work out for me ended up with all legendary werecreature humans. I can probly handle the occasional legendary dwarf lycanthrope. Hopefully they don't rampage too much and dwarves kill off other races.

What I want ideally is for attributes and skills to only rust after good stats. I want to keep some gains but not have every dwarf godlike.
Would that be easy to write a mod for?

I want attributes to only rust after 1600 and skills to rust after 16000