Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25

Author Topic: Deep Infirmary: The boning begins again  (Read 52174 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Deep Infirmary: Mr.Bone's Wild Ride
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2016, 10:07:47 pm »

Examine some of that gray powder while I wait.
On closer inspection, it appears to be a very fine ash.

Oh.

Grab a knifey thing.  Just in case.
You pick up the biggest scalpel you can find.  Not exactly the most deadly of weapons but...well...probably better than nothing. You can give something a wicked... minor laceration.

Check the cart's drawers and then try to break through the iced up door.
The cart's drawers have very little left in them; most of it was sprayed around the room when they were pulled out. It's more of the same, general medical tools and supplies. Nothing interesting.

You walk over to the iced over door and it tries to open on it's own.  You can hear the concealed electric motor humming and straining somewhere in the wall.  You look the door over for a few seconds and then start breaking the ice up with the butt of your rifle. After you knock a few good chunks out of the ice around the edge of the door, the motor seems to get some traction and the door grinds open, shedding chunks of ice as it does.

The room inside is fairly small, and as far as you can see completely empty, save for a single thing sitting in one corner. It looks like a ball of ice; Though it's kind of...strange looking. Lumpy with creases and furrows in it.

"Damn! There goes stealth, and I'm all alone... " Arty thinks to himself. he steps away from the door from which he came.
Dropping into a stabilizing crouch, he keeps the weapon ready while listening for movement on the rooms along the corridor. He keeps in mind that the guy with the cane may have been transformed into some aberration like those he saw on the files, and he might have to kill him.
If there are no sounds from the rooms, he'll open the first one; if there is something in one he'll open the other; if both seem to have occupants, he'll stay put, alert, and silent, while waiting for the doors to open, as the other guy also might be actually OK.
If the door opens and Zormod's character is mutated or behaving (more) abnormally (than usual), shoot kill him first and ask questions autopsy him later.

You carefully crouch walk over to the first door and listen. It's silent. You stand up so the door's sensor will see you and the door slides open. Inside is what appears to be a storage room of some kind; On one wall is a large metal shelving unit with five shelves. Each shelf is occupied by about a dozen objects, each the size of about two fists placed side to side. The objects are robots by the look of them, with two sectioned, peanut shaped metal bodies. Sticking out of one end of the things is a long, multi-sectioned conical appendage that ends in a metallic nub. The nub has many small holes in it, and appears to be a sniffer of some kind; a sensor designed to pull in air and examine the particulate within it. Attached to the back of this little robot is a miniature flame thrower, with the tell tale igniter positioned right in front of the liquid nozzle.

Along the back wall, perpendicular to the shelf, is a desk with a computer. Cables run from the computer up into a large black box that is affixed to the side of the shelving unit. Some kind of maintenance station, perhaps? Or simply the programming interface? Who can say.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2016, 10:10:17 pm »

Look over the ball of ice with my vision modes and then pick it up.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:27:18 pm by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2016, 10:17:04 pm »

Morph pimpcane into pimpcane.
Quote from: Zek'thal to:Team
The gray powder is ash. I do not regret this occurrence.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2016, 10:27:41 pm »

After receiving zek'thals message say,"Zek, as your doctor, I would consider it medically advisable to make a dome of pimpcane around you and cower under that." over the radio.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2016, 07:19:56 am »

Lock the door; keep an ear out for what's going on outside. If someone calls for Arty, answer.
Make a cursory search on the computer for logs. See if I can understand what kind of program is connected to the shelves, and if there is a control interface. Upload a backup to the cloud or save a compressed version on the wrist pad. Take a couple of the robots and put them in the backpack; if I can assign them to do my bidding, activate a third.

What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2016, 07:21:48 am »

"What do you have over there, anyway?"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2016, 01:11:55 pm »

Look over the ball of ice with my vision modes and then pick it up.
You flip through your vision modes. Thermal shows that it's cold, big surprise.  X-ray shows not a whole lot; whatever it is it's dense enough to prevent you from getting a good look inside it. Motion tracking and infrared don't really help either.

You shrug and take a step into the room to pick up the ball. You don't really see what happens next; you catch a blurred glimpse of the ball unfolding, each furrow widening into a gap as tentacles curl out away from the lopsided octopoid head. A tentacle lashes out, like a striking cobra, and punctures you right through the left bicep. Another slashes across the  room in an arc, and the razor tip of it catches you straight in the chest and carves  a gash through your ribcage, just below the sternum. It misses your heart and only punctures one lung but, leaves you with a great sucking chest wound.  You manage, despite your injuries, to leap back and punch the door close button before stumbling slumping down against the wall opposite the door. Despite the severity of the injuries, you're bleeding very little. The blood, and indeed the flesh immediately around the wound, appears to have frozen.

Morph pimpcane into pimpcane.
Quote from: Zek'thal to:Team
The gray powder is ash. I do not regret this occurrence.
You return the pimp cane to pimp cane form.

There's a sort of click, a metallic "CTICK", and you see a small spark leap between the metal boots.  The flame is triggers cascades off the boots and rolls across the ground like a ripple in a pond, spreading out in all directions. It coats the ground in a fraction of a second, crawling across your feet and legs as it burns the heavier than air gas that has settled to the ground. When it reaches the walls of the chamber, it climbs and then it catches the gas that is still mixed into the normal atmosphere. And the room ignites.

"What do you have over there, anyway?"
You see Trier step into the room and then stumble back a few seconds later, a great crescent gash in his chest. He stumbles and collapses, sliding heavily down the wall and landing in a sitting position, his chest heaving rapidly. You run over to help him and just as you're about to examine the wound, the hall shakes violently. The door leading back the way you came, the one that slammed shut behind you and separated you from the other half of your team, explodes open, and a wall of flame and smoke rolls down the hall. The fire dies before it reaches you but the shockwave knocks you flat on your back and the entire hallway becomes  a blind haze of black smoke. Your ears are ringing and everything sounds distant and muffled, as though you're underwater.

Lock the door; keep an ear out for what's going on outside. If someone calls for Arty, answer.
Make a cursory search on the computer for logs. See if I can understand what kind of program is connected to the shelves, and if there is a control interface. Upload a backup to the cloud or save a compressed version on the wrist pad. Take a couple of the robots and put them in the backpack; if I can assign them to do my bidding, activate a third.

You close the door and you're just sitting down at the terminal when something explodes very near by. The entire room shakes; you have to brace yourself on the desk to stop from falling out of your chair and the shelf of robots swings back and forth uneasily, threatening to fall. You get up and catch it, pushing it back against the wall before it falls on you.

What the hell was that?

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2016, 01:14:43 pm »

Curl into a ball, and morph Pimpcane into a cocoon.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2016, 01:15:26 pm »

"Crap!  Man down, some sort of hostile thing probably on the loose, and I have bad hearing now!"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2016, 01:41:02 pm »

Curl into a ball, and morph Pimpcane into a cocoon.
I'm afraid you're unconscious. Possibly dead. We'll have to have someone else look in there, since you can't observe yourself right now.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2016, 02:04:21 pm »

"Crap!  Man down, some sort of hostile thing probably on the loose, and I have bad hearing now!"
"Dr. Arty here, I'm on my way!"
Arty puts a couple of robots in the backpack, readies the weapon and open the door. Keeping an eye out for surprises coming from the corridor, he goes back to the boots room.
Arty checks the vital signs through the monitoring system, and broadcast "Zek is also down, please stand by or bring the wounded here. Did you see any medical supplies?" If he's still alive, look at the vital signs for indications of a pneumothorax or a cardiac tamponade; see if there's anything I can do for him; if not, and Zek isn't completely crushed (as opposed to having just a few broken ribs or a flail chest), try increasing the O2 level in his suit and a cardiac massage - it might be futile, but it still has a chance of working.
Keep the weapon at hand at all times.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:05:45 pm by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2016, 02:10:38 pm »

((Don't look at him it's a trap! Wait until you learn quantum wizardry, then you can turn him into a volatile self-reviving being, just like Grate! :P))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2016, 02:29:41 pm »

"Hey… Mycroft… I have an Idea…" Here Trier trailed off and gasped for air. Recovering he continued "It involves you giving me that can of medifoam you have and me not dying. Also, I guess you were right there are a lot of sharp things here." At this he once again trailed off weakly laughing and continued his desperate struggle to breath.

Patch myself up using the medical supplies scattered around the hallway and Mycroft's medifoam if he gives it to me.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 02:13:30 am by MidnightJaguar »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2016, 02:53:03 pm »

Medifoam, then... The announcement of the end of the universe.

"I'd like to return to the Sword and not die before the universe does.  Anyone else?"
Sigtext

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2016, 03:44:51 pm »

PTW
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25