Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25

Author Topic: Mercenaries of [FATE]: IC  (Read 19780 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenaries of [FATE]: IC
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2016, 09:39:26 am »

"It was, young master."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2016, 10:33:55 am »

Larok, being closer, arrives at the house of commerce first, followed after by Nabih and Ghamina.
Gigantic brass doors are swung wide open, steel chains swooping from the tops to cross high above and disappear into whatever mechanisms are hidden within the door-frame.
Whilst there is a fairly noticeable bustle of activity both within and without, it is dwarfed by the sheer space of the massive hall. Outside, merchants and hawkers try to sell wares to the various people moving in and out of the gate. An unlicensed contractor calls out to Larok, petitioning him to do some town-work.

Inside, there are multiple small booths along the walls - some regal with brass-coated counters, some temporarily set-up to deal with the trade-day influx.
At the back, and of particular interest to Nabih, is the permanent offices of the commerce scribes, and no doubt where a notary would be found.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2016, 11:28:57 am »

Ghamina cast glances back and forth, trying to pick out any possible threats. The building was both huge and busy... it brought back memories. She pointed out the office.
"There, at the back, young master."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2016, 04:03:28 pm »

Nabih had been distractedly examining the brass doors' chains and wondering how easy it would be to replicate - and maybe even improve - the mechanisms for the base he had planned when Ghamina woke him up from an inventor's daydreaming. "Ah, I see. Thank you, Ghamina." he replied before moving towards the offices.

"Good morning, I am Al-Safi Nabih Shahin and I have come to register a mercenary enterprise." He introduced himself pleasantly as aways.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:17:36 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2016, 01:36:15 pm »

So much noise.. So many people talking at once. Familiar and foreign at the same time. Well, the contractor had caught his interest first, so he wandered over to the man.
"What sort of work?"
Black lives matter.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2016, 10:29:49 pm »

The man beckon Larok closer.
"Nothing special, friend. A client owes some money, and he'd rather pay that money to a bodyguard than the cheating thug 'e owes it to. A big bodyguard like you, if you're int'rested?"

Nabih sweeps past the early morning crowd and into the main hall, eyes following up the chains until he barely spots the glint of enormous cogs.
The clerk is only too happy to receive you, with the queue at this desk being almost non-existent.

"Excellent. I'll need your name, the name of the company and a third party who can fulfil the necessary legal obligations in the event of your demise, along with the starting fee of 500 silver."
He seems happy to continue speeling at you as he hands over the requisite paperwork.
"Oh, and a signature at the bottom along with your thumbprint. Once you've registered a company you won't be held to the same policies as the freelancers and will be able to take on civil projects, such as guard duty and war contracts, (although you're unlikely to find those here). Taxation will also switch from a 'per contract' format as it is for the freelancers, over to a 'per earnings per season', to reflect any income from holdings or spoils. Naturally there's no upper limit on the size of your company, and once you have the requisite paperwork, you'll have these rights anywhere in the States, (although I'm told that the goblins and the kingdom also like hiring registered companies). None of your men will have the tattoo, of course, however your reputation will still suffer for missed or uncompleted missions, and we still require a down-payment on contracts, although for registered companies that's a percentage of the contract fee, rather than an auction against the fellow man.

As Ghamina can see, that is exactly what is happening.
Entering the building, her eyes were more focused on the people surrounding her charge, and she noticed the unlicensed vendors and contractors outside, including the single only ogre seen so far in the city.
Inside, there are small groups of mercenaries talking amongst eachother and raising hands at intervals as the clerks at the booths call out. Upon further inspection, the crowd are indeed haggling for the contracts delivered, and most of the groups have at least one 'X' tattooed upon their palm. The only ones not in groups appear to be a hooded figure furtively attempting to almost hide behind one of the booths he's hiring from, and a larger man in a shining set of chainmail under a tabard, occupying all of the attention at another booth.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2016, 10:32:40 pm »

Oh, Larok was definitely interested now.
"Cheating thug... I despise cheaters. I accept."
Black lives matter.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2016, 01:53:27 am »

"Great. Yes. Very Good. If you're free I can take you to the man in question right now." he states, rubbing his hands together.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2016, 08:15:40 am »

"...All right."
Black lives matter.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2016, 08:21:33 pm »

Nabih was smiling up until the clerk talked about the information required to start the company. His bronze skin lost some of its natural color as if he had been struck by a terrible revelation, something that became even more obvious as his head slowly turned to face Ghamina. "...Ghamina. A name. I never thought of a good name for the company." he admitted, having planned so much and somehow overlooked a detail such as that one. "Could you help me with that?"
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2016, 09:40:56 am »

Ghamina blinked, caught off guard by the sudden question.
"A name, young master? How about... Nabih's Tigers?" She shrugged slightly and looked away, a tad bashfully. "I was never very good with naming things, young master."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2016, 12:13:42 pm »

"Nonsense. I have trusted you with my life, helping me name the company would be a given. As for your first suggestion, I would rather not have my name be placed in the company's." Nabih rubbed his chin as he began thinking. It occurred to him that name anything he invented could turn out more difficult than building the invention itseç. "Tigers, however, is not a bad idea. What else can you come up with?"
>Yes?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2016, 07:35:30 am »

Ghamina tapped her chin in thought.
"Tigers are good... the Tiger Claws? Fighting Tigers? Tigerskins?"
She tapped the tigerskin she wore.
"A tiger skin could be our banner, if we can locate another one."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2016, 12:20:54 am »

The scribe smiles happily to himself as the pair continues to bounce name ideas off eachother.
"Oh, I should probably mention, we recommend that when you name your third party, it should be someone who won't be near you. An investor or a family member, usually.

"...All right."
The man leads Larok back down the cliff, and into a nearby tavern. You see a man begin to scramble out of his chair.
"Woah Ranek! This is the bodyguard you asked for. Somehow came across the only other ogre you'll find in the gorge!"

The frightened man settles down. 'Right. Yes. Should've known by the clothes. What's your name?'
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:23:41 am by Tack »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2016, 12:27:47 am »

"I am Larok."
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25