Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about Frequency of Animals and Plants  (Read 1053 times)

Kuschelflummi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Nekos Geschichtenkörbchen
Questions about Frequency of Animals and Plants
« on: January 08, 2016, 04:54:00 am »

Hello!
Actually I though it would be a minor modification to push the chances of Tigers and Giant Tigers for my fortress. I also wanted Papyrus.
I just changed the [Frequency] Tag ton 100. But it doesn't seem to do anything.
Never got Papyrus on any Wetland Biomes or Tigers or Giant Tigers in Savage Bioms.
Somehow I have the feeling I misses something really important but I cannot put the paw on it.
Someone has a Tipp for me, please?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:02:08 am by Kuschelflummi »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Frequency of Animals and Plants
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 06:22:00 am »

Did you gen a new world?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Kuschelflummi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 06:50:52 am »

Hmm... I'm inclined to try this today. But as far as I remember, I did this prior a worldgen also.
So, afterwards it tooks no effect even if I copy it into the savegames raw folder?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 09:36:54 am »

Frequency value is just a weight, not a direct % chance.

If you have a biome with 25 different creatures with FREQUENCY:50 and those two tiger species with FREQUENCY:100 competing for a chance to spawn on the map, the actual chance that the randomly rolled group has tigers in it is 15% at best. If the tigers had FREQUENCY:50 too, the chance would be something like 8%. You could think it's like a lottery where the FREQUENCY number is the amount of tickets the participant has in the hat.

If you want to really control what appears and what doesn't, you could give everything by FREQUENCY:5 by default and then boost your favorites as you like.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:38:57 am by scamtank »

Kuschelflummi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 10:43:32 am »

If you have a biome with 25 different creatures with FREQUENCY:50 and those two tiger species with FREQUENCY:100 competing for a chance to spawn on the map, the actual chance that the randomly rolled group has tigers in it is 15% at best. If the tigers had FREQUENCY:50 too, the chance would be something like 8%. You could think it's like a lottery where the FREQUENCY number is the amount of tickets the participant has in the hat.

If you want to really control what appears and what doesn't, you could give everything by FREQUENCY:5 by default and then boost your favorites as you like.

awwww... that's a bit disappointing.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 11:24:39 am »

awwww... that's a bit disappointing.
Actually, if you want them to spawn for sure, use UBIQUITOUS. For example, if you add it to a creature with the MOUNTAIN biome, it will be guaranteed that the creature will be present in every single mountain biome. Keep in mind that only so many creatures are picked to populate each region, so each creature with that token decreases the overall chances of something else (without it) showing up.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Roxfall

• Bay Watcher
  • Evrywundies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 03:13:25 pm »

And when in doubt, generate a new world.

Kuschelflummi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 03:54:39 am »

Actually, if you want them to spawn for sure, use UBIQUITOUS. For example, if you add it to a creature with the MOUNTAIN biome, it will be guaranteed that the creature will be present in every single mountain biome. Keep in mind that only so many creatures are picked to populate each region, so each creature with that token decreases the overall chances of something else (without it) showing up.
Does this works for plant to?