Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help - Running latest version on Mac  (Read 1207 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Help - Running latest version on Mac
« on: January 08, 2016, 02:31:16 am »

Note: I am COMPLETELY computer illiterate here.  I have no idea about the names, definitions, functions, locations or whatever else there are of anything to do with running df_osx.  Any immediate explanation will probably go completely over my head. 

That being said, I would appreciate any help in actually getting this thing to work.  I have the latest Mac Intel download on the main page, and the latest version of Xquartz ( version 2.7.8 ).  My Mac is using El Capitan, version 10.11.1.  Everytime I try to run executable file "df" in the extracted folder, using either Xquartz or Terminal, I get an application not responding message.  I'm not sure if there have been any threads recently regarding this, especially for the latest version. 

The wiki tells me this about installation:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Again, my ability to understand all this in all probability exceedingly basic technical jargon is very, very limited.  I'm not entirely sure either if this is applicable to the latest version.  If there is any simple explanation or solution that I have blatantly missed, please enlighten me.

Now with all that aside, any advice would be, again, appreciated.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Running latest version on Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 05:49:44 am »

There are a few bugs there recommending you open df/data/init/init.txt and change the PRINT_MODE line to STANDARD instead of 2D. Perhaps try that?

It should be as simple as finding the file, double-clicking on it and changing [PRINT_MODE:2D] to [PRINT_MODE:STANDARD] (there's only one place) and then saving it.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

UristWoodie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 08:06:08 am »

What about the Mac Newb Pack? Might make things a little easier.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 07:18:37 pm »

There are a few bugs there recommending you open df/data/init/init.txt and change the PRINT_MODE line to STANDARD instead of 2D. Perhaps try that?

It should be as simple as finding the file, double-clicking on it and changing [PRINT_MODE:2D] to [PRINT_MODE:STANDARD] (there's only one place) and then saving it.

THANK YOU.  It worked, so far, seriously, thank you for simplifying the solution, I am eternally grateful.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

iheartpie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 03:46:50 pm »

Thanks for this tip!