Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sieges. Bad or good thing?  (Read 1606 times)

Moronical

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sieges. Bad or good thing?
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

What do you think. I'd say it's a sort of good because sometimes my dwarves pick every single one at a distance and beat them to death with maces. And the results? Tons of metal objects waiting to be melted down.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Sieges. Bad or good thing?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »

I've never had a siege, I've only had a double-ambush.  I wasn't ready.
Shoes...

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »

I like sieges but i modded the game a little so the goblins dont wear clothes, only armors.

Otherwise, the hauling is a total pain in the neck.

Moronical

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

True. The hauling and stockpile sizes are insane

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »

funny this should come up, i just had one, one led by a master lasher, one led vy an axe lord, one led by a guard, total 2 casualties, because my military decided to go to bed.

Btw, is them sending a guard a bug or a feature?

Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 12:41:00 pm »

Goblins kidnap children and raise them. So a Human swordsmaster is not uncommon. A guard though makes me wonder. Do goblins have enough intelligence to form a legal system that involves guards upholding the law? Babies are not born as guards, neither is it a skill gained by practice, such as aforementioned swordsmaster. Guards are installed.
So it is a good question. A guard?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »

I imagine a guard is just somebody who's posted as a sentry and has some skill with weapons. His job in a primitive, evil society is to put down anyone making a ruckus by killing them, and guard the towers.

One could imagine that in a pinch, he'd be chosen to lead a siege because of his skill with weapons if there's nobody else available.  :)

When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 08:16:00 pm »

as long as your fort is limited to some moderate wealth, sieges are managable. Ive reached 2,5 mil networth now, and there are always 4-6 groups of siegers (about 50-80 goblins), and to top that of ive given my goblins [TRAPAVOID] and restrain myself from magma/water flooding chambers.
End result is always locking my dwarves inside, and maybe letting 1 group in due to micromanaging bridges ^^

But damn, these goblins are really persistant! Sending an average of 60 invaders to a fort with 59 dorfs, where 11 are soldiers.

They must really want my gold, although my wealth seems not to attract any migrants!

een failing lately?

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »

Sieges are fun!

As long as you have an impenetrable fortress, that is.  Or some really hardcore dwarves.

I've got a fort w/about 120-130 dwarves right now.  I get sieges every so often.  Because I have set up some solid defenses, and because the kickass geography of the site I picked, I can manages sieges pretty well.  Usually only suffer 0-6 deaths. But I expect more deaths as my defense gets more sophisticated.  At this point I am building up my army and my defense systems to be complete.  So I usually only end up killing one squad (maybe 2 sometimes) of goblins each time, then I just wait them out.  Once I get just a few more things done...its go time! (If everything goes as planned....ha!)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 11:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Run Comrades:
<STRONG>Sieges are fun!

As long as you have an impenetrable fortress, that is.  Or some really hardcore dwarves.

I've got a fort w/about 120-130 dwarves right now.  I get sieges every so often.  Because I have set up some solid defenses, and because the kickass geography of the site I picked, I can manages sieges pretty well.  Usually only suffer 0-6 deaths. But I expect more deaths as my defense gets more sophisticated.  At this point I am building up my army and my defense systems to be complete.  So I usually only end up killing one squad (maybe 2 sometimes) of goblins each time, then I just wait them out.  Once I get just a few more things done...its go time! (If everything goes as planned....ha!)</STRONG>

Losing is fun as well. I tend not to make my fortresses impenetrable just for the challenge. It is a lot funner when you have multiple undefended entrances with your only hope resting on an unprepared military. Many deaths = Loads of fun.

Great Sun God

• Bay Watcher
  • AAAAAAA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 03:09:00 am »

A guard is someone who at chapter three (or ten minutes into the film) rushes into the room, attacks the hero with his friends one at a time and get visciously slaughtered.

Nobody asks them if they wanted to.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 06:02:00 am »

My fortress no longer produces anything, I just trade narrow GCS-silk shirts for food.
On the downside, I've had approximately 150 dwarves doing nothing but hauling for a season and I've still got bones on my doorstep.

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: Skizelo ]

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 07:30:00 am »

Yeah, I like getting massive amounts of dwarven deaths as well.  But I'll try to keep them safe for now.

Besides, an my impenetrable fortress isn't exactly so.  I had a siege happen a while back while I was still in early preparations.  It happened right after a hydra came and destroyed a handful of my floodgates leading into my fort.  They killed 50 dwarves that time.  Now I am preparing for revenge!!!

I don't want to keep my dwarves totally safe.  As soon as I get my sniper towers set up, and a few bases outdoors, I am probably going to lose lots more dwarves, but these will be calculated deaths.

lol @ great sun god!

I mainly trade clothes as well now.  Sometimes I'll produce crafts when we have a 'dry' season.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 08:52:00 am »

Sieges= Fun
Ambushes= Annoying, especially that really fun Ambush Chain when a Dwarf finds one ambush, run away, finding another ambush, then another, then another..

And then you've got a mishmash of Crossbows and Lashers coming for your fort.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 11:06:00 am »

My last fort was a poured obsidian tower on an aquifer map. For the first few years my dwarves lived under the open sky with just thin wooden walls around them.

My first artifact was a steel chain mail. The immigrants and goblins just poured in after that. I don't kill dwarves on purpose, so most of them just stood around for years. I actually had a legendary peasant in that fort. Anyway I relied on an archer's nest above the main gate for defense. I don't use traps either for defense if I can avoid it.

I had one epic moment in it. A siege showed up, 3 bands, hammers, swords and bowmen. And they showed up on top of the cliff that stretched across the southern part of my map, overlooking my walls. I just knew if I let those bowmen get to the walls they'd slaughter my civvies.

So I sent out my axedwarves. I had been training them since the beginning, transfering any spinal injuries to the crossbows. I had 5 champions, legendary wrestlers, armor users, shield users and axedwarves outfitted in complete sets of masterwork steel plate, armed with masterwork steel axes. I sent them to the base of the cliff where the goblins would come down-- there was only one way down. The bowmen were the closest, so I hoped to dispatch them before the rest arrived. I would be quick and dirty and once the bowmen were gone I had no worries about the rest, even though the hammerers were led by an elite spearman, the last local ruler left alive in the goblin civ.

Well as it turned out, the spearman was a good bit faster than the leader of the  other bands, the hammerers arrived slightly before the bowmen. There was nothing to do but charge, so up the ramp they went, straight into the oncoming invasion.

The bowmen unleashed a volley of arrows, and as they did so the body of their elite ruler went sailing over their heads, far into the forest behind. His head went the other direction, landing somewhere near my fortress walls. By the second volley all the hammerers were dead. There was no third volley. Lor, my first champion chased them all the way to the edge of the map, beheading left and right. There was not a scratch on any of my dwarves.

Pages: [1] 2