Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: How Crazy is Talking to yourself?  (Read 5924 times)

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How Crazy is Talking to yourself?
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2016, 11:43:46 pm »

Mostly I find the question of "is this crazy" a little silly. Questions like "Am I enjoying my life" & "Am I messing up other people's lives" seem more important to me. That said everyone talks to themselves, it's just most people don't do it out aloud 'cause people look at you funny. Whether that bothers you is up to you.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2016, 11:57:20 pm »

Mostly I find the question of "is this crazy" a little silly. Questions like "Am I enjoying my life" & "Am I messing up other people's lives" seem more important to me. That said everyone talks to themselves, it's just most people don't do it out aloud 'cause people look at you funny. Whether that bothers you is up to you.

Listen to this man, he speaks the truth!
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2016, 12:09:05 am »

So much this.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2016, 05:24:31 am »

Oh goodness!

Now, dont go basing a decision on my anectdote here (because I really am quite crackers for a number of other events in my life, and whatnot. Acceptance is the first part of the healing process.) but I also not only talk to myself routinely, I also admonish myself for foolish actions, refer to myself as "foolish human" on occasion, and frequently use the third person when referring to myself.

The reactions this invokes in others are delicious. (figuratively of course.)

for an example of the strangeness of using the third person when speaking of one's self, check out just about any scene with Radical Edward from cowboy beebop.

What it is it exactly about such deviations from social conventions that make others so disturbed I wonder?
Me, I find them entertaining and fun to do.

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2016, 01:38:56 pm »

It's not really crazy...

I mean, I do talk to myself whenever I see something shocking and say things about it.
It's just weird.
Rubidium has RETURNED!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2016, 08:10:36 pm »

I don't know, "is this crazy" seems like a more relevant question in situations where you're pondering doing stuff like drinking bleach

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2016, 09:25:56 pm »

How else will I disinfect my insides?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2016, 12:49:40 am »

People bleach their teeth. It's not exactly drinking bleach but some is bound to go down.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2016, 04:53:37 am »

Not the same stuff.

Bleach == Sodium hypochlorate
Tooth whitener == Combination of phosphoric acid and hydrogen peroxide (when done professionally, used in conjunction with UV lamp)

Both produce oxygen radicals, but they are not the same thing. :P

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2016, 05:57:37 am »

Not the same stuff.

Bleach == Sodium hypochlorate
Tooth whitener == Combination of phosphoric acid and hydrogen peroxide (when done professionally, used in conjunction with UV lamp)

Both produce oxygen radicals, but they are not the same thing. :P

They may not be the same thing but they are both in fact bleaches. Besides as sodium hypochlorite is sometimes used to sterilize drinking water, people do in fact drink tiny amounts of bleach.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2016, 06:17:23 am »

but semantics
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2016, 08:27:50 am »

Crazy or not it bothers people: not good.

There are degrees of it; worst is if you think people are talking back to you and there are none....
Best is when you're memorizing, rehersing or practiing things.

How to deal with it (Bright yellow room visualization):

When you catch yourself talking to yourself, mentally imagine being in a room painted very bright yellow. Imagine a representation of yourself talking there instead of in the real world. It has helped several of the lients and people I care about. The idea is simple a.) it's imaginary, so no harm, b.) very bright yellow rooms are rare, c.) You get to silently talk things out that are bothering or oncerning you without doing it vocally in real life.

That said the bigger problem is the time, energy, effort, and perception waste when people talk to themselves. Obcession doesn't help. It hurts.

Need to figure out how to deal with the feelings. It's hard, but possible.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 09:02:54 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2016, 08:41:27 am »

Glad to have someone from the other side of the argument bring up some reasonable points. I was worried we might get trapped in an echo chamber (This is bay12 after all. The majority of us aren't what you would consider normal).
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2016, 09:04:18 am »

I'm touched someone thought I was normal.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2016, 04:39:05 pm »

Ehm, everybody here thinks that u are normal( except choosing law as major, why would someone love reading fat ugly codexes full of laws all the time?)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5