Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: How Crazy is Talking to yourself?  (Read 5929 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: How Crazy is Talking to yourself?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 01:24:37 pm »

The worst thing now is that with very small and unobtrusive Bluetooth earpieces, someone talking loudly and animatedly to no one in particular is not a clear sign of mental illness.

Still creeps me out though, even if they do have an earpiece.
now ask yourself - "how many of them have actually turned on their earpieces?"
Hey now, this gives me an idea if you want to talk to yourself without seeming crazy: just wear an earpiece! It doesn't even need to be turned on, people will still think you are talking to someone.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 02:22:00 pm »

So how crazy IS it to talk to yourself?

Ask yourself. See what you say.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 03:04:27 pm »

The worst thing now is that with very small and unobtrusive Bluetooth earpieces, someone talking loudly and animatedly to no one in particular is not a clear sign of mental illness.

Hey now, this gives me an idea if you want to talk to yourself without seeming crazy: just wear an earpiece! It doesn't even need to be turned on, people will still think you are talking to someone.
Until somebody manages to hear parts of your conversation and it slowly dawns upon them that it isn't the kind of conversation any sane person would be having over the phone. Then they'll really think something's not right with you.

The resulting assumption will be that either you're imagining someone's on the other end, or yet worse, that there actually is someone on the other end and you're telling them every little thing that's on your mind.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 03:09:39 pm »

The phone call is coming from inside the house!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 03:12:05 pm »

Useful for revision, if you don't get sidetracked.
One wheel short of a wagon

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 03:17:18 pm »

If it's not for memorisation purposes, etc, it's pretty weird.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 03:22:21 pm »

It's probably important to specify whether you mean out loud or not.

I've found it helpful from time to time to debate/discuss things with myself in my mind.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 05:29:28 pm »

THEN WHO WAS PHONE?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 05:37:38 pm »

no u was demons

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 06:46:38 pm »

The phone call is coming from inside the head!
ftfy  :P

And hey, I overhear people having conversations that don't sound sane even if there IS another person on the end of the line. I think one problem with bluetooth is that since nobody else can hear the other party, it gives people this weird sense of privacy. And muffles their hearing of surrounding noise, so they talked louder than they realize. I have heard WAY more about people's sex lives/medical problems/family drama/babydaddies/etc. than any rational person wants to know.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nunzillor

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2016, 06:58:00 pm »

So how crazy IS it to talk to yourself?

Ask yourself. See what you say.
This.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2016, 07:02:34 pm »

I just imagined Mark Hamill's Joker singing the Star Spangled Banner. *mind blown*
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 07:28:57 pm »

The phone call is coming from inside the head!
ftfy  :P

And hey, I overhear people having conversations that don't sound sane even if there IS another person on the end of the line. I think one problem with bluetooth is that since nobody else can hear the other party, it gives people this weird sense of privacy. And muffles their hearing of surrounding noise, so they talked louder than they realize. I have heard WAY more about people's sex lives/medical problems/family drama/babydaddies/etc. than any rational person wants to know.

Could also just cut to the type of personality that feels the need for Bluetooth. There are practical applications but you wouldn't see them outside of work most of the time. So it's always come off as an image thing to me. Not necessarily "ohohoho look how fancy/important I am because I use Bluetooth" but getting to stand there without holding a phone up to your ear.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 07:34:02 pm »

Fun story, I started at a new job recently. My boss walked into the room today, started rummaging through the files. She asked me to do some things, and we got through about four lines of conversation before she walked out and I realized that she was totally talking into the headset and not to me. I cried a little-bit on the inside.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 10:10:13 pm »

Madmen run the asylum and the doctors never existed
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5