Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I have found a great location  (Read 4914 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have found a great location
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 02:35:31 pm »

Tip 1.  Bring kittens?  (Doesn't that defy Dwarven principles?)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 04:45:12 pm »

My God, that's genius!
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 04:57:12 pm »

Tip 1.  Bring kittens?  (Doesn't that defy Dwarven principles?)

Exceptions can be made if you are feeding them to a dragon.

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 05:29:13 pm »

I didn't WANT to feed it to the dragon. It just happened.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 09:53:40 pm »

I'm on my first reclaim of the dragon map - the demise of the first fort happened in early Spring, when the dragon noticed me building my anti-dragon crossbow towers. It stomped on in, burned everyone, and took up residence in my main stockpile. The only survivor was one miner who ran away, built himself a shelter at the north end of the map, and went crazy when he couldn't find any food or water - he went melancholy and suicided, and the reclaim team interred his corpse in a place of honor the following spring.

The funny thing was that I'd already sealed off my fortress. I broke ground for maybe a week game time before re-walling myself off, and the dragon came in through the last three-tile hole in the tower wall. All the drawbridge did was lock my dwarves into the death chamber... :-X

I haven't found anything scary yet in the first year or so of Reclaim Mode (7 reclaimers - 4 marksdwarves and 3 speardwarves), but it adds a bit of spice to things knowing that a stealthed legendary dragon is lurking somewhere on the map.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 11:06:05 pm »

Holy rejects, batman!!

Somebody could have warned me. 81... that took a bit longer than I expected. Oh well.

Will embark and attempt soon...

EDIT: Blast. I got a different world. DF 0.27.176.38c under WINE 0.9.59 on Linux. Not sure if this qualifies as a bug. In the meantime, could some unimaginably charitable person upload a proper gen of this world? I was so looking forward to rabbiting and developing underground until I could defeat the dragon...

EDIT EDIT: Now see here.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:22:29 pm by grelphy »
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 11:19:29 pm »

Seeds preform differently depending on version and OS.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 11:26:07 pm »

Apparently. But I'm not sure it's supposed to be that way, and I'm quite sure that I have gotten identical worlds generating under Linux. In any case, this world is very similar to the one that others are generating--it's got the same topography and rivers and stuff. It's just biomes and features (and presumably history) that are different.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 11:28:55 pm »

It may be considered a bug, but it is well-known regardless.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 11:57:45 am »

It wasn't this seed/world, but I was trying to recreate a world and kept getting different underground features and civ locations, despite everything else being the same.  What I discovered is that civilization generation probably happens before underground features are generated.  My raws were different for the two systems.  As the map generator filled in different civilizations, it would alter the random numbers available for generating the rest.

Solution: get the same raws as the OP.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 03:02:29 pm »

I got a different world. DF 0.27.176.38c under WINE 0.9.59 on Linux. Not sure if this qualifies as a bug. In the meantime, could some unimaginably charitable person upload a proper gen of this world? I was so looking forward to rabbiting and developing underground until I could defeat the dragon...

EDIT EDIT: Now see here.

How did you get the same world in the end? I'm unable to :(
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 07:18:49 am »

Hmmm.... I can't get the dragon map to work- a region upload would be VERY nice.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 10:42:55 am »

Okay so it turns out I have a machine with windows on :) so here for those that want it.

(sorry about the ads, but it's 21meg and I'm not hosting that myself)
region1.tar.gz - 21.11MB

Just a warning, when I started the dragon was about a screen away from my dwarves,
Enjoy
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 11:37:18 am »

When I started, the Dragon was in the NE corner and I was up near the magma in the SW corner. I was next to a chasm. The fertile soil/trees were on the other side of the chasm, so I quickly made a bridge. My miners doubled as warriors so they killed some bats and a gremlin. Sadly a troll took one of them down to the depths of the chasm.

I might have encountered a bug here. My dwarves treat the dead gremlin corpse the same as a live one. Since he died right at the end of the bridge, this kept my dwarves from making any progress and so I abandoned the fort.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 11:19:38 pm »

MANY THANKS. You will be forever remembered by the dwarves in that world as the guy who let spawn and dump them in endless waves upon the mighty dragon until it at last expired and all could be claimed for the glory of dwarfdom (that of it as was left, anyway).
Pages: 1 [2] 3