Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I have found a great location  (Read 4910 times)

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have found a great location
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 11:34:43 pm »

Seven dwarves embarked to right next to a dragon's cave, knowing that around the cave lay many riches. Immediately they dug in and sealed the entrance behind them; they would not see light again until over half a year. Four miners explored around underground, carefully avoiding the chasm and cave system, two farmers producing food and drink and plenty of plants. The last dwarf made preparations for what would come ahead.

After getting established, the dwarves knew that they must have some sort of entrance outside, so that when the supplies were to come they would have access. To that end a single door, with a tiny moat around it, as inconspicuous as possible was constructed; they knew that Dragons cannot fly and so with the bridge over the moat retracted the Dragon was not a threat. A trade depot was also constructed, outside, camoflaged with the rest of the stone.

Shortly thereafter the dwarves discovered the magma pit, and built a tunnel for magma to reach the fortress for the purpose of a magma forge, which was sorely needed. It wasn't too long after the magma had been breached when the merchants arrived, wagons left at home. Immediately all of the outpost's trade goods were brought to the trade depot, nothing more than trinkets made of obsidian.

With no skill in appraisal, the merchants surely ripped off the dwarves of the outpost. The trader headed inside for a nap. Then the Dragon struck. A wave of heat and fire flamed over the outpost, incinerating it instantly and killing the axedwarf guard outright, while also lighting the two merchant dwarves on fire. The liaison was miraculously unhurt. All of the awake outpost dwarves were suddenly drafted into the military to pile into the lever room to close the bridge and leave the merchants to their fate when it was noticed that the Dragon was unconscious!

The crossbowdwarf guard had done his duty! The five awake dwarves instead ran outside; when crossing over the tiny moat they noticed that the Dragon had woken back up, although it was still stunned and winded. They fell upon the Dragon, and after sustaining exactly zero injuries the Dragon lay lifelessly upon the ground. It wasn't even mid-autumn yet.

DoomedDragon had lived up to its name.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 11:53:29 pm »

niiiice one!

Hmm. Am I the only one who thinks slaying a dragon or something oughta get you a lot of something rare and awesome?

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 11:57:07 pm »

I'm just hoping for a masterwork Dragon Tallow Roast and such.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 10:50:20 am »

Hmm. Am I the only one who thinks slaying a dragon or something oughta get you a lot of something rare and awesome?

Nope, I thought that way too, well at least until I saw how weak the dragons truely were :(
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

iskurthi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 12:00:54 pm »

I should have known it was going to be trouble when the fort's name resolved to "Passageoils".

Seven highly trained dwarves, several with decent combat skills, embarked on this unbelievably rich location and immediately set to digging in, quickly walling in the wagon and getting all of their supplies inside before the dragon could notice them. Crops were quickly planted in the sandy underground soil and everything was going rather well. Well, except for the refuse. And the fact that the caravan and immigrants would be along shortly... The starting fortification would have to be enlarged so that they could get in, while still allowing it to be sealed in case of dragon. Unfortunately, at some point during this process, the dragon finally took notice and descended on the little fort... Scattered about and unable to organize into a cohesive defense, the hapless dwarves were roasted one by one as the dragon tore through the stronghold, lighting everything on fire and destroying all their hard work.

In 1052, lured by tales of the astounding riches of the abandoned fortress of Passageoils, a reclaim party of 70 heavily armed dwarves marched in to secure the site. Passageoils had in the meantime been infested by trolls, animal men and giant cave swallows... but the dragon was nowhere to be found. Two of the reclaim party were slain securing the site, then the demobilization began. Perhaps it wasn't a good idea to demobilize Urist McHunter, who proceeded to march off and get killed trying to hunt the incredibly dangerous local wildlife. And that's where the trouble started...

It wasn't so bad during the spring, but when summer came, all of the lakes dried up! Someone should have looked more carefully at the climate. Now, the dwarves were really cranky, poking around in subpar facilities incredibly cramped for the number of dwarves they were supporting, and several were still wounded. Then the tantrums started, and the injuries, and without water...

The cycle looked something like this:
* Urist McUrist has died of thirst.
* Urist McUristsFriend is throwing a tantrum!
* Urist McWorker cancels task: getting beaten on.
* Urist McWorker has died of thirst.
* Urist McWorkersFriend is throwing a tantrum!

By the time desperate exploratory mining had finally located the underground river and installed a well, it was mid-winter, and the reclaim party had been reduced to 55. They had begun to pacify the surroundings, though, and the entire cave complex had been cleared, though flying abominations continued to come out of the chasm periodically.

In summer of 1053, the first migrants showed up, along with the dungeon master... That was the good news. The bad news was that they found where the dragon ended up...
Pages: 1 2 [3]