Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I have found a great location  (Read 4911 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have found a great location
« on: June 02, 2008, 01:58:00 am »

[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:STANDARD]
   [SEED:3235243655]
   [DIM:257:257]

It has flux, iron, sand, trees and two rivers meeting in a natural waterfall.
It doesn't have HFS, magma, chasm or cave river/lake.

But what really makes it great is the nine pages of locals that live there. Well, most of them don't really live there since they're undead. Undead fish and undead hippos, to be precise. And a month or so into the game, a herd of undead elephants make an appearance.

This must be the hardest map I played so far. After several tries I barely managed to get my dwarves underground before they're eaten by the extremely aggressive skeletal hippos. The problem is, I can't go out to get my food and booze because a pair of hippos is patrolling around them.

Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Anonemoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have found a great location
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

If I were you, I'd just dig straight down from my wagons and buil up some walls around said wagons as soon as possible. Then proceed as normal.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »

Yeah, just hide as soon as possible. Get 'em off the surface, and they'll be okay. And do NOT send fishers out there.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

That's what I did. I dug straight down, deconstructed my wagon and assigned a meeting zone underground. Problem is, a skeletal hippo came in just as the last dwarf was getting to safety, and the hippo is now sitting on all my food and booze while my dwarves starve and thirst. I did catch an opportunity to get the booze when he moved some ten tiles away, but then my dwarves got trampled by a herd of skeletal elephants.

Seriously, this map is freaking insane. I've never seen anything like it, and I've played that map with 25 GCSs.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »

25?!  I've never seen a GCS in dwarf mode.  I can't imagine a slaughter like that.
Shoes...

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »

A few days ago i started a map that lasted exactly 5 seconds, from the moment you embarked everything got swarmed with tens upon tens of skeletal and zombie carp. Simply impossible unless maybe if embarking with 7 proficient warriors. I also remember one place (4x4) wich had 10 or so pages with wildlife. (the terrifying kind)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Sinnach

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 11:20:00 am »

I just found a very interesting location for anyone who is interested.

Reasonably compact, magma, sand, adamantine, flux, chasm, underground river, obsidian, etc

Interesting part is the cave.  The dragon who lives there is dozing off on the surface, which can put him right under the area you embark at unless you get lucky.  The cave itself is huge, it goes down some 8 z-levels and actually reveals several walls of adamantine.

[TITLE:STANDARD]
[SEED:3900066553]
[DIM:257:257]

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

Same seed, same area, same volcano...

:(

I really wanted to try that map, too. It sounds fun.

[ June 03, 2008: Message edited by: Moogie ]

I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

You are looking at the wrong biome (F1, F2, F3...) I think... >.>
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Sinnach

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

Odd.  v0.27.176.38c, Seed number generates the dragon-infested map I posted above.

I do have the world saved pre-embark, but I'm not sure that would solve anything if the seed isnt generating the same world for you.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »

Sorry, chalk this one up to user stupidity. I figured Prospector was already active because I could see the magma tile. Turns out, it wasn't.

Just to be sure, I embarked there and got the map - named Dragon and all.  :D

I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 05:39:00 am »

Bah! That is nothing. I started in a one with
- A chasm, 4 pages
- A cave, 1 page
- A dragon
- A cave river/pond (haven't found it yet, but there's dead frogmen and giant olms), don't know how many creatures
- Did I mention the chasm is almost completely made out of obsidian?
- Magma pipe, 4 imps and a magma man

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 01:33:41 pm »

Ok that was just silly (in a funny good way that is), just started on this map... seeing I'm still kinda "new" to DF I used tweak to give myself 19 dwarves, included a few "backups" for the tradeguys I really wanted, 3 of each.

Ended up with about 6 hammerdwarves and 30 wardogs... to defend my start location while I digged down.

*Embark... Strike the.. OH DEAR GOD RUN!!!!*

I started *next* to the freaking river.... someone already mentioned the skeleton hippos so lets just say the river ran red with blood... Fun location... gonna keep trying to see if I can get a foothold and start something up. Thank for sharing OP.
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 09:10:35 am »

Glad you liked it. And I know this sounds bad, but I'm glad you failed. I've tried this map a dozen times, and I failed every time. The best I achieved was getting my dwarves underground without any supplies. I was planning to make a bridge across the lower river to get to the safe western plateau, but my mason kept getting interrupted by hippos there.

I seriously think this map is impossible.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 01:28:28 pm »

Man, I embarked on that map with the dragon. You could have mentioned that the dragon is only a little bit north of the starting area, and not actually inside the cave.

Three dwarves dead and smoking, and the rest have walled themselves off inside after managing to get a few supplies down while the dragon chased a kitten.
Pages: [1] 2 3