Tropical Madagascar and India
- 0 (0%)
Arid Asia
- 1 (33.3%)
An Overlapping Area
- 1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Stonepage: Dwarves and Dinosaurs Succession (Version 42.04) [Always Open]  (Read 3329 times)

SwordSpiritAlpha

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no mead and I must scream
    • View Profile

Dwarves and Dinosaurs

Hey there. The succession fortress I'm proposing is exactly what it sounds like. Through some kind of time travel to escape the vicious, cutthroat world of 'modern' dwarven society, a small group of dwarves has been transported to the Late Cretaceous1, a world of huge scaly and feathered monstrosities: dinosaurs. Armed with only their wits, or lack thereof, these bearded settlers attempt to survive and thrive. Or whatever story device you choose to make this work.

The creatures in this mod have been divided by real-world fossil locations into the various biomes found in the game in order to prevent overlap. That said, the genera provided are slightly anachronistic for the sake of variety. The rest of the world has not been changed though I am open to requests and suggestions should you want anything done. Being more conservatively minded in terms of gameplay, I leave it up to you to create challenges and predetermined conditions. If nothing appears, parodying the Pilgrims and the Sixers from Terra Nova is something to fall back upon. Given that not everyone is familiar with all one hundred and ten dinosaurs in the mod, I have placed a generic tooltip per type of creature in the descriptions that gauges how dangerous the creature in question is. With the information below, you may choose the climate in which the fort is going to be settled.

The biomes we picked were Arid Asia and Temperate North America, the fauna of which are detailed below. There are a lot of small to medium-sized herbivores but the number of tyrannosaurs (6) should make this somewhat more interesting...
Temperate North America2
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Desert and Plains Asia3

Having no experience in sprite-graphics, we will be using the ASCII graphics for this run.

Rules:
  • Take as long as you like in real time to fulfill your year-long obligation to the fortress.
  • If your write-up is not done yet but your game year is, pass the fortress file on, please.
  • Try your best not to destroy the fortress. We can and will bounce back from a single man
  • The rest of the rules will be negotiated to everyone's preferences.

Dwarf List:
Leave a reply with your specifications if you would like a dwarf named after you.

1. SwordSpiritAlpha Paintmachine (Overseer No. 1] Done
2. Dark Archon Fortresstundra (Overseer No. 2) Done
3. Urlance Woolsbane Workplanned (Overseer No. 3)
4. Sanctume Glovework
5. jwoodward48df Lancedtreat (Overseer No. 4)
6. Gwolfski (Overseer No. 5)
7. LordBrassroast
8. Shofet
9. TheCheeseMaker (Overseer No. 6)

Achievements
Beasts Vanquished:

Contributions of any kind, playing or not, are very much appreciated. Thanks for reading, and enjoy your day.

1. The Maastritchian if you're curious
2. Mostly Hell Creek and a few assorted beasts
3. All over the Gobi Desert and Nemegt Formation
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 07:18:28 am by SwordSpiritAlpha »
This can only end well...

Dark Archon

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mathematician
    • View Profile
Re: Urist Nova: Dwarves and Dinosaurs (Version 42.01)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 04:22:25 pm »

Wow, that's an interesting idea. May I be the second overseer?
Maybe you are dreaming right now.

"Meh, what's scientific progress without a few dead planets?"

SwordSpiritAlpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:28:56 pm »

Sure!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 04:42:28 pm »

Interesting.  PTW.  Iirc, there was someone who was making a raw /mod file based on accurate dinosaur stats.

Similar to this?

I'd definitely be interested to see how open door taverns fare with dino's roaming, haha.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:47:15 pm by Sanctume »

SwordSpiritAlpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 04:52:30 pm »

Interesting.  PTW.  Iirc, there was someone who was making a raw /mod file based on accurate dinosaur stats.

Similar to this?

I'd definitely be interested to see how open door taverns fare with dino's roaming, haha.

My raptors are kinda lazy, so I'll definitely check this out, thanks.

Dark Archon

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mathematician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 05:32:49 pm »

I have a few propositions:
1) Troipical climate sounds fun. For me, dinosaurs associate with jungles; I blame the Lost World.
2) Let elves have dinosaur pets; also embark in such way that they are the only civ with access to dwarfs. Dwarfen architecture and craftsmanship aganist prehistoric elves with dinos on their side.
3) Need to decide how to explain migrants and caravans. One way is to decide that time portal is still open, and dwarfs and traders still arrive from the other side. Second way is to never build trade depot, and/or turn off migrants. In that way time portal is open for some time, but destroyed from other side by migrants; two waves is all fortress wil ever got (except trade liason, who got it and became trapped in the past. Suits him for his greed). Third way is to generate world with dwarfen civs extinct; we will never have caravans what way, and waves of migrants are explained as above).
That is if time machine isn't figure of speech. In that case, disregard everything I said  :D

SwordSpiritAlpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 05:43:34 pm »

I have a few propositions:
1) Troipical climate sounds fun. For me, dinosaurs associate with jungles; I blame the Lost World.
2) Let elves have dinosaur pets; also embark in such way that they are the only civ with access to dwarfs. Dwarfen architecture and craftsmanship aganist prehistoric elves with dinos on their side.
3) Need to decide how to explain migrants and caravans. One way is to decide that time portal is still open, and dwarfs and traders still arrive from the other side. Second way is to never build trade depot, and/or turn off migrants. In that way time portal is open for some time, but destroyed from other side by migrants; two waves is all fortress wil ever got (except trade liason, who got it and became trapped in the past. Suits him for his greed). Third way is to generate world with dwarfen civs extinct; we will never have caravans what way, and waves of migrants are explained as above).
That is if time machine isn't figure of speech. In that case, disregard everything I said  :D

I'm actually going to remove the capability for everything but dinosaurs to be mounts. Should make the obligatory elf-killing more interesting :D... (Alamosaurus is a possible mount BTW)
On the topic of time travel, the way I imagined it was stolen wholesale from Terra Nova, in which there are time devices which send 'pilgrimages' (migrant waves) to the new settlement with a no-returns policy aside from some shady business-types (nobles and traders) who do not have the settlers' best interests in mind, just greed (as you mentioned). Does that cover all the bases?

Dark Archon

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mathematician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 05:51:50 pm »

I'm actually going to remove the capability for everything but dinosaurs to be mounts. Should make the obligatory elf-killing more interesting :D... (Alamosaurus is a possible mount BTW)
Okay, that's cool. Looks like the sieges will be fun. We should explore conquistador theme, with dwarfs being merciless and mad race (from elven point of view, of course), bent on corrupting and destroying beatiful pre-historic nature.

On the topic of time travel, the way I imagined it was stolen wholesale from Terra Nova, in which there are time devices which send 'pilgrimages' (migrant waves) to the new settlement with a no-returns policy aside from some shady business-types (nobles and traders) who do not have the settlers' best interests in mind, just greed (as you mentioned). Does that cover all the bases?
Yeah, that's covers it. We should build our own time laboratory, I think, with crystal glass blocks, and lenses and masterwork diamond gems in middle of powerlines  :D

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 06:18:54 pm »

Take as long as you like in real time to fulfill your year-long obligation to the fortress.

Well then, I'm in!

I look forward to this. We need more modded-succession games.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

SwordSpiritAlpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 06:21:43 pm »

Welcome and thanks for the interest.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 08:23:24 pm »

Just a quick question: We're not actually using 42.01, right?  Because the subsequent 42.0x releases are much more stable.
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

SwordSpiritAlpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist Nova: Dwarves and Dinosaurs (Version 42.04)
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 10:08:25 pm »

No, that is the just the version the creatures had been made and where I'd done most of the work.

Now changed to 42.04
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:12:14 am by SwordSpiritAlpha »

SwordSpiritAlpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist Nova: Dwarves and Dinosaurs Succession (Version 42.04)
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 01:11:56 am »

Update:

I'm going to start up the world soon (all previous test-runs have been absolutely crash free :) ). Depending on how many people sign up in the next day or two, I will fill out the remaining spaces with custom nicknames as 'NPC' dwarves. In terms of name-claiming, the available dwarves at embark are, by profession:

1. Proficient Miner/Proficient Engraver
2. Taken: Dark Archon (Skilled Miner/Proficient Mechanic/Novice Architect)
3. Proficient Woodcutter/Proficient Appraiser
4. Taken: SwordSpiritAlpha (Proficient Carpenter/Proficient Architect)
5. Taken: jwoodward48df (Proficient Mason/Adequate Woodcrafter/Adequate Stonecrafter/ Novice Bonecrafter)
6. Taken: Sanctume (Proficient Brewer/Proficient Butcher/Macedwarf)
7. Taken: Urlance Woolsbane (Proficient Grower/ Competent Tanner/ Adequate Animal Trainer)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:08:14 pm by SwordSpiritAlpha »

Dark Archon

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mathematician
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 02:36:48 am »

Proficient Miner/Proficient Mechanic
That one is mine. Give him a point of Architect at cost of Miner, please.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 03:06:47 am »

I'd like to be dorfed as the grower, si vous plait.
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."
Pages: [1] 2 3