Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workaround for soldiers taking ownership of their rations?  (Read 1281 times)

fluffymormegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Workaround for soldiers taking ownership of their rations?
« on: January 05, 2016, 04:58:36 am »

Is there a way to deal with part-time soldiers dumping their unused rations in random places that doesn't result in my stockpiles being strewn with loose owned food that I can't do anything with, or do I just have to stick to using exclusively permanent soldiers?

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Re: Workaround for soldiers taking ownership of their rations?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 05:17:38 am »

Do they have their own rooms? I've heard if they have their own rooms they'll store the food in there. But I've also heard it causes the food to rot. Maybe if you set their rooms' floor as a stockpile and have it recieving from nowhere that'd stop it rotting, and also not fill up with other food.

This is of course just my speculation and may not work at all.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

fluffymormegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 05:30:12 am »

I'm kind of allergic to giving my dwarves spaces where they can be covertly preyed on by vampires :(

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 05:41:33 am »

I'm afraid not. Well, not as far as I know. Maybe just don't give them rations? They are only part time soldiers, they shouldn't need to be standing guard that long.

The only other thing I can think of is: If you have your food stockpiles securely linked to only take and give to their specific workshops, with no input from food lying around. Then you could make a food stockpile which accepts from anywhere but has no links, and it would be the only place for unused rations.

Other than that you're stuck.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 05:42:44 am »

Would individual rooms without walls work for you?  Kinda like a well-spaced dorm with each bed defined individually - I've heard of people using this to combat vampires whilst retaining individual rooms.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 05:51:29 am »

Do they have their own rooms? I've heard if they have their own rooms they'll store the food in there. But I've also heard it causes the food to rot.
If you give them a chest and a cabinet in their room, they'll store things in them. I think that prevented rot too but not sure. I heard personality can affect how tidy they keep their stuff (and how much they hoard).

Dwarves certainly should have their own rooms. Note that 'room' can be a 3x3 space in the middle of a corridor with easy visibility. Reminder that you don't even have to individually assign these rooms to dwarves, they'll claim them once you set them up.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 06:32:57 am »

Forbidding stuff will remove the ownership after a while (not very long). At least, that's how it works for clothing. Perhaps for food too.

Other than that, just go into the military menu, press (u), and order your soldiers to carry no food. Problem solved.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 09:58:08 am »

Cabinets are used to store clothes (I don't know about trinkets). The only actual use I've seen for chests in rooms is to (buggily) store pilfered food. I think food doesn't rot in chests, or at least that their miasma is contained.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 10:42:35 am »

Cabinets are used to store clothes (I don't know about trinkets). The only actual use I've seen for chests in rooms is to (buggily) store pilfered food. I think food doesn't rot in chests, or at least that their miasma is contained.

Chests are used to store trinkets as well.  Non-currency coins too, one of my dwarves grabbed my stack of 10 year anniversary platinum coins and stored it in a chest in his room. It does seem a lower priority job to store belongings in a chest than it is to store clothing in a cabinet though, so it can take a while for dwarves to put things in their chests. Also, dwarves with certain personality traits never (or perhaps really really rarely) store their stuff.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 01:58:33 pm »

Other than that, just go into the military menu, press (u), and order your soldiers to carry no food. Problem solved.

This is also what I do.  In addition to fixing the "Hey, that food is mine, so you can't dump it even though it's rotting and stinking up the place" issue, it also gives good thoughts for having the soldiers eat in a dining room instead of standin' in the barracks.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz