Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Last Outpost (Apocalyptic Survival Suggestion Game)  (Read 2462 times)

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Last Outpost (Apocalyptic Survival Suggestion Game)
« on: January 05, 2016, 12:16:11 am »

5 survivors huddle inside a bank vault in the aftermath of the apocalypse. This is their story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a different kind of suggestion game.

The goal is simple, survive in the outpost (bank vault) as long as you can. The suggestion mechanics are not so simple:

1. Any poster may suggest actions for any given survivor.
2. If no action is suggested for any survivor, I will choose an action for that survivor (that fits my narrative).
3. If more than one poster suggests an action for a particular survivor, the most popular suggestion will be used.
4. A poster may only suggest an action for one survivor per turn,  however active posters will receive points which they can use to give extra suggestions

These rules allow people to come and go from the game as they please, but reward active posters. You can suggest for one character only or alternate between several or do whatever you want. New survivors can be recruited, old survivors can die. The goal is always to protect the Outpost. More "rules" will be revealed as the game progresses, for now, lets begin.

----------------------------------------------------

Within the bank vault are 5 haggard survivors. Around them lie bills stacked in neat piles. Once these paper slips would have made them kings and emperors, now their only use is tinder. 4 of the survivors are seated, 1 of whom is sleeping blissfully in a corner. The 5th is pacing back and forth. One survivor sits with closed eyes, sucking on a cigarette nearly spent. The end of the white cylinder glows like a firefly's tail. The other two are children, a girl about 13, and a boy, around 7. Sister and brother hold themselves tightly, for the metal floors are cold in the dark.

Several inches of steel protect these survivors from the horrors of the outside world. Here, they are safe. But here they cannot remain; mortal pangs - hunger and thirst - are gnawing away even now and must be satisfied.

Spoiler: Survivors (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Outpost (click to show/hide)

What happens next?

Nunzillor

Re: The Last Outpost (Apocalyptic Survival Suggestion Game)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 01:37:02 am »

2: Leave to scavenge water bottles or find a permanent source of water.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 02:40:48 am »

1- Look to see how many more cigarettes there are... and also any other supplies or tools in the vault itself that can be used.

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 11:11:04 am »

We're in a bank vault, so probably in a town. That means that unless it was an unusually drawn-out apocalypse, we have supplies nearby. More problematic is how to get them. We currently have no idea what caused this apocalypse, so it's possible even that it's something gaseous which will kill us if we open the vault, and bahihs plans to have someone open the door with gas masks a couple of turns in. However, I think this unlikely, so I'm going to go for:

3: Take a look outside the vault and, while staying close by, check the condition of the city. If anything within a few metres looks like it's relatively safe and will provide food or water, collect that.

We'll have to go outside sooner or later anyway.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 11:19:59 am »

PTW.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 12:05:11 pm »

Let some People stay behind  just in case
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 12:54:26 pm »

Agreed, Gwolfski. I've no idea how long a turn of this will last, having never done anything similar before. Maybe it would be a good idea to only have one person go outside first of all...

I've just read the OP again and noticed the word "horrors"... maybe I've been overly adventurous...

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 07:35:37 pm »

Post to watch.
Max avatar size is 80x80

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 07:38:06 pm »

1:Put out the cigarette, dying in a fire would be very stupid.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 01:47:47 pm »

2: Leave to scavenge water bottles or find a permanent source of water.

Sleeper awakes snorting to the smell of Smoker's dying cigarette. He rubs his nose and eyes, wipes his mouth, scratches the back of his earlobe. Then, as if understanding something long on his mind, he nods his head and rises, and walks to the vault door.

1:Put out the cigarette, dying in a fire would be very stupid.

Smoker spits the cigarette nub out and drives it against the cool floor. "Where the hell are you going?" She says to Sleeper.
"Out. I'm thirsty. I saw a water cooler out there."
"Bullshit. I don't remember seeing anything like that. You open that door and you might let the Mutes in. Then we're all dead."

We're in a bank vault, so probably in a town. That means that unless it was an unusually drawn-out apocalypse, we have supplies nearby. More problematic is how to get them. We currently have no idea what caused this apocalypse, so it's possible even that it's something gaseous which will kill us if we open the vault, and bahihs plans to have someone open the door with gas masks a couple of turns in. However, I think this unlikely, so I'm going to go for:

3: Take a look outside the vault and, while staying close by, check the condition of the city. If anything within a few metres looks like it's relatively safe and will provide food or water, collect that.

We'll have to go outside sooner or later anyway.

"No. He's right. There is a water cooler there. By the bathroom. I remember." Says Pacer.
"Y'see? Now then, if you'll excuse me." Sleeper walks toward the vault door. Pacer grabs his shoulder.
"Hold on a sec. I'm going too."
"What?"
"I just want to see what the situation is outside. We can't stay in here forever right? Besides, two people can carry it easier than 1." Sleeper hesitates, but good sense is good sense and he assents. The two children remain huddled together and Smoker remains seated, now silent.

Slowly the vault door rolls open and sunlight rolls in.
The bank is quiet. The sunlight blinds the survivors, they cover their eyes, then their mouths as they see the bodies, bloody, strewn about the floor. They step carefully around the corpses, toward the hallway where the water cooler sits. Pacer glances through the shattered windows of the bank. Outside it is snowing, but Pacer knows it is not snow. It does not snow in July. Pacer sweeps his eye toward the teller booths, one of the pillars has crumbled, crushed one side of the building. One woman - Pacer knew her, her birthday was a few months ago - lies with a steel rod through her neck. Sleeper coughs and Pacer returns to his task. They move through the broken mass of cement and steel. Somehow the hallway is intact, and the water cooler, knocked out of its holder, still whole and half full. They each grab a side and start to shuffle back.
"Wait. The cups." Says Pacer. Sleeper nods and grabs the remaining Styrofoam cups with his pinky finger. Then they make their way back to the vault. Smoker stands and closes the vault door behind them. And the darkness returns.

What happens next?

Spoiler: Outpost (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:53:47 pm by bahihs »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 01:59:19 pm »

3. Pacer seems to know the area.  Have him tell the rest what use to be out there.  Things like where food water and protection might be nearby.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 08:12:26 pm by VoidSlayer »

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 06:45:38 pm »

Well, we now have enough water for a little over a day. More interestingly, snow in July? My first thought was supervolcano, but then there's no way there would be bright sunlight. We're talking something either very thin or only falling from a bit above ground level, I'd expect.
"Mutes"... well, at least now we know what we're facing. Sort of. Assuming they're what caused such material devastation, I'm hardly surprised by how terrified everyone is. I have a feeling bahihs will not continue to be so kind as to leave us alone for long.

I'm also starting to wonder why bahihs has made the medicine store so prominent. It might just be for ordinary illness or injury, or just maybe they're hinting to us that there's some malady which will affect everyone, so it's vital to start stocking up now. Or maybe I'm reading too much into this.
Let's try:
1: discuss briefly with the others experiences of the apocalypse. Try to understand both the nearby area as pertaining to our current situation as well as what happened with the disaster(s) as a whole.

If my brief summaries are obvious and/or annoying, please tell me. I'm still new to this and don't know what's helpful.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 06:49:54 pm »

Well, we now have enough water for a little over a day. More interestingly, snow in July? My first thought was supervolcano, but then there's no way there would be bright sunlight. We're talking something either very thin or only falling from a bit above ground level, I'd expect.
"Mutes"... well, at least now we know what we're facing. Sort of. Assuming they're what caused such material devastation, I'm hardly surprised by how terrified everyone is. I have a feeling bahihs will not continue to be so kind as to leave us alone for long.

I'm also starting to wonder why bahihs has made the medicine store so prominent. It might just be for ordinary illness or injury, or just maybe they're hinting to us that there's some malady which will affect everyone, so it's vital to start stocking up now. Or maybe I'm reading too much into this.
Let's try:
1: discuss briefly with the others experiences of the apocalypse. Try to understand both the nearby area as pertaining to our current situation as well as what happened with the disaster(s) as a whole.

If my brief summaries are obvious and/or annoying, please tell me. I'm still new to this and don't know what's helpful.

This is fine so long as the others don't make suggestions completely contrary to this one. Remember that you can only control one character at a time, never the group as a whole.

Nunzillor

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 06:54:16 pm »

My guess is a nuclear apocalypse.

2: Oblige Smoker.  Exchange names.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 04:20:00 pm »

4: Listen carefully and speak when necessary.
Max avatar size is 80x80
Pages: [1] 2