Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: goblin seige not getting caught in cage traps  (Read 1172 times)

davidc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
goblin seige not getting caught in cage traps
« on: January 04, 2016, 12:00:52 pm »

Firstly, how do I stop my dwarves from going out there to remove/reload cage traps?  Can I just set standing
  • rders to ignore [a]nimals? Or do I need to do something else?

Also, I had a bunch of traps in a 1-wide corridor to get into my base, and as soon as the first trap was triggered the goblins stopped... I tried removing some sections of wall to draw them in further and that got them 2 or three deep into the traps, but there was still a crowd of goblins standing outside my fort, outside the trap area, not moving further into the traps.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: goblin seige not getting caught in cage traps
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 12:38:54 pm »

If you set a burrow and restrict them to it before the conflict starts they shouldn't complete any jobs requiring a destination outside of the burrow.

Changing the stnading orders will likely keep them from retrieving the filled cages but it wouldn't stop a job for reloading the trap, they likely would just move the filled cage aside to put a new cage on the trap and then leave the caged goblin there.

The second issue sounds like something that was fixed in 42.02 where siege squads would stop moving if their leader was killed or trapped. Are you running the latest version?
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

davidc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 12:48:01 pm »

40.24 :(

Upgrade?

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 12:51:30 pm »

Well, that will fix the thing where the siege squads stall, that's for sure. Or you could just send out the military to kill them, if you have one. Otherwise, there's no wy to get them to move.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 05:44:51 pm »

Upgrading will probably result in some issues, since the new needs system has needs that cannot be fulfilled with an old save. Your fortress will probably work with slightly depressed dorfs, though.

EBannion is not quite correct on the movement front, though, in that the goblins will still chase targets (such as dorfs or animals, tame as well as wild). Sending a civilian within sight of them MIGHT get them to move, unless the civilian sees them first and flees. Also, missile using goblins may very well make a pin cushion out of the sacrificial civilian without moving. If the enemies are few enough, sending a militia against melee weapon wielders have succeeded for me, as most goblins then manage to get caught in traps ["most" as in 2 out of 3, not out of a horde].

If the siegers are straight outside your corridor (i.e. no z level difference) you might be able to kill or injure some with a ballista (placed out of sight of them, or the operator will flee and/or get extra holes in the body.

If all else fails, they'll give up and leave after either one season or one year.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 05:46:47 pm »

I believe you can forbid the traps and cages, so the dwarves will ignore them until you unforbid them, but I haven't use traps in a while, so I'm not positive.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 06:09:04 pm »

Filled cages can be forbidden, and I think if you can forbid the traps as well as the cages within them to block reloading and cage hauling. I use a civilian alert burrow, though, and forbid filled cages individually if the cancellation spam gets too annoying.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 08:05:16 pm »

Why not just set your animal/cage stockpile to 'take from links only'? If the job is already created, forbid the cage.