Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we do with Jaccarmac's turn?

Continue afterwards
- 8 (66.7%)
Continue before
- 4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: "The Strip" Tavern Fortress Succesion Game Redux  (Read 26747 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: "The Strip" Tavern Fortress Succesion Game Redux
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2016, 09:45:56 pm »

Cool, I need to update and see what shenanigans interesting things happen.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

jaccarmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • jaccarmac.com
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2016, 03:14:52 am »

The Record of Zas Ralodkish, Silverfern.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

106, mid-autumn.

Zulbanlorbam; Bannerstandard; "The Strip".

Two years ago the place was a word to me, an idea without meaning, a place I would arrive at eventually.

Now, The Strip is home. And it has continued to grow into a bustling city while I have been here. The liveable areas of Zulbanlorbam are spread out not too far beneath the surface. Meanwhile, two long staircases lead deep into the heart of the stone, past caverns and to a place where the ground grows warm. The volcano lies to the west everywhere a normal dwarf spends his days. Magma from it flows to one of The Strip's taverns.

And now I, a humble trapper, have been put in charge of the whole mess of a city! All things considered, I can't complain. We have ample stone, residents young and old, and even visitors. The dangers that have threatened our nascent home have been mostly dealt with and the city can keep itself alive without too much micromanagement by me. And that suits me just fine...

...because change must come to Zulbanlorbam! For too long already have we lived in neat and tiny cells. A dwarf needs to be able to look up and see the reflection of molten stone reflecting from the ceilings of great halls. What kind of impression of our race are we giving to the human who has decided to take up residence with us?

Ah, yes. Soon I will be able to begin work on the great plans I have for the western side of the volcano. But before then, I'm hungry, and my culinary choices are as limited as the food supplies are sparse for a fortress of 120.

jaccarmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • jaccarmac.com
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2016, 03:16:49 am »

Got busy again today and didn't get nearly enough done :-/. Took the time to update after getting my bearings, though. I'm extremely grateful that there are no catastrophes in progress on the strip at the moment! As soon as I find ways to solve the annoying starvation and animals-stealing-things problems I'll be able to start on the real work.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2016, 11:38:29 am »

The starvation thing seems to be a running theme here. It was a problem for me, it appears to have been a problem for Deus, it's a problem for you-I hope we can end this before everyone starves to death :P

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2016, 12:59:10 am »

A restaurant themed succession fort has everybody starving to death. Bravo.

jaccarmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • jaccarmac.com
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2016, 04:39:34 am »

Wouldn't be a succession fort on Bay 12 Forums without massive incompetence! Speaking of which, I just noticed that we misspelled "succession" in the thread title.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2016, 10:33:52 am »

We got plenty of beer, but no chicken wings?

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2016, 10:59:21 pm »

Yep. And the misspelling is both minor enough to have been missed until now, and major enough to anyone that does catch it that it's obvious we're fairly incompetent here.

jaccarmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • jaccarmac.com
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2016, 11:43:13 pm »

All right friends, I realize that it has been technically more than two weeks now and I have been derelict in my duties. Given that it's still Wednesday evening for me and no one has started a complaint thread about my laziness yet, I'm going to start marathoning my two years ASAP. Priority will be on playing and uploading the save tonight. I can reserve a post for the write-up to be added when I have time to write.

That said, if anyone takes issue with my plan and would like to stick to the rules to the letter, I have uploaded my turn, such as it is. To be honest, you can get an equivalent experience by downloading the save before mine as well :-/.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2016, 12:02:40 am »

A restaurant themed succession fort has everybody starving to death. Bravo.
Let me quote you on that.

jaccarmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • jaccarmac.com
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2016, 01:40:13 am »

The Record of Zas Ralodkish, Silverfern (continued).

106, mid-autumn.

Sadly, my hunger was still unsated when I went to sleep last night. My dreams were images of sides of beef hanging in the butcher's shop, deliciously seasoned livers and kidneys, and... how could I forgot minced flour roast? Mmm... Well, I'll have to see what I can do about that little problem. Low-hanging fruit first, jaccarmac. That's what I always tell myself. Certainly the animals our migrants have brought have produced some delicious young...

WHAT KIND OF PASTURE IS THIS?!? As far as I'm concerned, this city needs livestock, not a zoo. Armok... Sadly, as much as as I'd butcher the lot of the useless creatures to fix the crowding issues and my appetite, I can't risk making the owner of Melbil the Cavy Sow too sad. No, this won't do; We need a less controversial food source.

Now that I think of it, several of the craftsdwarves have been whining about little monkeys getting in their way and stealing tools. Can't say I've ever considered chopping one of the buggers and putting it on a plate, though.

*drool*

It's even slow and half-dead already. On second thought, it is definitely time to hunt those tasty little fat morsels down. I'll put the military on it. Meanwhile, better check the status of that new tavern project. Just down the stairs and the miners are bound to have started excavating a cozy little tunnel next to the cone.

This sets a new low for dwarven laziness. Armok... I know old Chaotic Skies Bridgelake, though; Certainly I can convince him to start a project for a friend. You there, Chaotic Skies! Yes, you can stop moving animals and seeds around. I have a real job to satisfy your miner's itch.

Excellent, now that that's taken care of...

Oh, for the love of this fortress, Chaotic Skies! Move your lazy carcass down the stairs already and get to work! You're not ready? Need a pick? Just tell me, dwarf, don't hold your silence and skulk away from a job! We have enough mouths to feed without dwarves wandering around with No Job.

There you go, friend. Try to make yourself useful, will you. Oh, COME ON. You need to walk the other way to get to the mining area! At least tell me WHY you can't go down there; Again, silence isn't helping anyone...

Perhaps direct command isn't my forte. At least I can direct from the background so all our dwarves' bellies are more or less satisfied. Now, how much time do we have before those stores become a real worry.

Erm... I believe that that means NOW.

Speaking of now, a few of the performers traveling through are interested in permanent residency. Hmmm... Well, I suppose all of us were travellers with no permanent home at one point. They can at least get a chance to contribute to the success of this mess of a venture.

Sadly, there are those who... abuse the hospitality of a prosperous and secure city like ours. I have no idea why whoever granted this layabout citizenship did so. To be honest, I wonder about how he survived before The Strip; How many fortresses are in desperate need of excellent lye only when the maker of said product sleep more than they work?

A shiver. That's never a nice sight for a fortress overseer. At least our miners have done a good job of breaching the caverns and Mukca is confined to their boundaries. Perhaps, sensing its inability to reach the populated tunnels, it will vanish to come back when we are better prepared for it.

Now THAT is something a bit more urgent. Wouldn't do much for migrant attraction if a distinguished citizen was mangled in the halls of his own home, would it? But The Strip prevails; Even the wrestlers among our military's ranks are well-equipped for the crocodilian menace.

Interruptions: They will eat up your time like the mundane bits of fortress life never do... I hear grumbling about the food situation, but the time means it's something I can deal with after another good night's sleep. And after the mining fiasco, perhaps it's best if I retreat to take care of more mundane, personal problems. Who would be... Mmm, of course. rupdeus has always been interested in how the big dwarves live and work. He might make the perfect replacement.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:04:14 am by jaccarmac »

jaccarmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • jaccarmac.com
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2016, 01:47:01 am »

As it turns out, putting off jumping into the fort until the end of my turn was an awful idea. To be fair, my finals were in the middle of this and I also was in the process of traveling for some of it, but I apologize profusely for my negligence. In any case, I managed to move the clock forward for less than a month (!?) before deciding I had not nearly enough expertise to finish the turn.

BEHOLD THE SAVE

A lot of interesting things happened during my short tenure, which will be expanded upon above. Basically, I can't get our miner to mine, monkeys are stealing things and being a giant nuisance, cave crocodiles got into the stairwell, and a forgotten beast entered and then left the visible map in the caverns. We are out of food; I don't have a clue where our farms are or how to get that industry up and running again; Most of our population seems to consist of useless elf poets. (Speaking of which, I finally dorfed onciblu; You are a sleeping performer whose greatest skill in life is making lye and dissecting fish: Congrats!)

Good luck and godspeed to the person who takes up the mantle of overseer. I may return when I figure out how to play this game again.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2016, 07:16:21 am »

I can't get our miner to mine, monkeys are stealing things and being a giant nuisance, cave crocodiles got into the stairwell, and a forgotten beast entered and then left the visible map in the caverns. We are out of food; I don't have a clue where our farms are or how to get that industry up and running again; Most of our population seems to consist of useless elf poets.

So, it's a typical succession fort. ;)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2016, 12:44:36 am »

It's weird how bad our food situation seems to be. We've got a lot of farms and I thought we had plenty of seeds, but they just seem to not be producing anything. Maybe they're getting cooked or something?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

jaccarmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • jaccarmac.com
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2016, 01:22:25 am »

I honestly have no idea. I didn't check during my turn, but is there some kind of burrow dwarves are being restricted to? That would explain why I can't get miners to mine and, perhaps, why food isn't getting produced.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15