Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Accidental spontaneous combustion: what should I look for?  (Read 1555 times)

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
Accidental spontaneous combustion: what should I look for?
« on: January 02, 2016, 08:15:38 pm »

It happens to me, for some reason. Sometimes, during testing, the embark spot just bursts into flames.

I've skimmed through the ignite_point tokens, nothing seems out of order. What else should I be looking for?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:30:43 pm by Valikdu »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Accidental spontaneous combustion: what should I look for?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:09:14 am »

No one can help you without posting your raw changes.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 08:32:58 am »

I don't really know when such a change could have happened. I'd gotten some reports about combustion a long time ago, but I've only recently encountered it myself. I've changed a lot of raws during all this time.

Are there any commonly-encountered causes for this? Except ignite_point, I've checked that.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:14:07 am »

I have seen this before, but have never managed to determine a cause.  Eventually during some raw cleanup or another it just stopped.  Is it by any chance associated with caravans pulling in at hyperspeed?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 10:19:30 am »

42.03 with tilesets?
One wheel short of a wagon

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 10:44:56 am »

42.03 with tilesets?

.04 with Phoebus.

I suspect that it's from trying to add a dragon's immunity to fire to a caste... The fire seemed to start at that creature's location. I'll test again.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 10:52:19 am »

It is not from the fire immunity.

But if you have added some inorganic liquid, without declaring it correctly, it will automatically be replaced with !MAGMA!. So if you say bring LIQUID_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:OIL, but have not added INORGANIC:OIL correctly to the raws, they will bring magma.

Some with poisons, I once had kobolds that bite people, instead of injecting poison, they injected magma.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 11:59:50 am »

I have had this happen when spawning a LIQUID_MISC of a material that is not liquid at environmental temperature. It will just spawn at whatever temperature it is liquid in, so when i spawned a puddle of iron, Fun happened.

Perhaps some poison/tears/sweat/etc liquid is solid at room temperature, or something is being brought as those silly 'ant ichor barrel' things by caravans?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 12:05:40 pm »

42.03 with tilesets?

.04 with Phoebus.

I suspect that it's from trying to add a dragon's immunity to fire to a caste... The fire seemed to start at that creature's location. I'll test again.
You sure Phoebus is out for 42.x then?
One wheel short of a wagon

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 11:07:45 am »

You're Valikdu.  I's have figured creatures bursting in to flame and destroying everything was deliberate.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 12:49:44 am »

--snip--
 I once had kobolds that bite people, instead of injecting poison, they injected magma.
That sounds appealing.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 08:45:54 am »

--snip--
 I once had kobolds that bite people, instead of injecting poison, they injected magma.
That sounds appealing.
Target instantly turns into smoldering corpse that starts a fire. not good for FPS.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 08:11:00 pm »

Did you make sure blood, sweat, and other various liquids have reasonable melting points? If they don't, and come out liquid, they would be hot enough to cause spontaneous fires.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 10:44:45 pm »

This is in Friendship is Magma, right?  Is there one specific race affected?  Or anything in common with the sites where it happens?

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 06:53:19 pm »

This is in Friendship is Magma, right?  Is there one specific race affected?  Or anything in common with the sites where it happens?

It only happens to Diomedians. I think the one that caught on fire was the deathwing. I've tried to make it so that this doesn't happen again, that seems to have worked. I think.