Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25

Author Topic: Mercenaries of [FATE] OOC (Players Needed)  (Read 24592 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenaries of [FATE] OOC (Players Needed)
« Reply #345 on: July 22, 2016, 02:41:15 pm »

Just realized what my third stunt should be.

Confidant: +2 to Empathy rolls against individuals or groups for which at least one successful/good (?) Rapport roll has been made (including against individuals in the group, but for individuals who've been in a group which has been Rapported).

Also counts for people with decently positive relationship status (if that makes sense).

Would that work?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 22, 2016, 03:45:05 pm »

Re: That stunt.
Whilst I love it, it's already actually in the game mechanics. If you use Rapport to put an aspect on someone (Like, say, Talkative), that's already a free bonus on whatever else you want to roll afterwards.

To make the process easier would be something like:

Flirty Touch: Can use Rapport instead of Empathy to assess a person's stats.
Lying to a Liar: +2 to all Empathy rolls made to discern or discover lies, whether they’re directed at you or someone else.
Deadly mood: Can use Empathy instead of Notice when combat begins, if it is due to a change in hostility.
Black Widow: +2 to Empathy checks against men. (Unless they're anti-goblin.)

Also Re:
Failsafe Process: Nabih can re-roll results in Craft checks that would result in loss of material.
I just realised that Craft basically applies to everything.
So, rather than doing something silly like this, would you just prefer something like:

Steel Wizard: Nabih can re-roll negative results for Blacksmithing craft checks.
Or Weaponsmithing. Or Armouring. Or Inventing.

Although before you squeeze an extra stunt out of the game, I'm thinking of reverting the FATE rules to the standard, with the addendum that they have to be pre-emptively allocated.
Forking aspects was a pipe-dream which just seems unpopular and unlikely to be used. Ironically it seems it'd be easier if people just spoiler'd or abbr'd a (Burn Fate) on their actions.
Of course, I will be sniping big spenders with impunity-- I mean, doing my best to make an interesting and action-filled game.

For those new to Fate- basically this means that before an action you can spend fate to add a +2, or to re-roll a failed roll.
I think to save forum-time:
I'll choose the reroll if it fails by more than 2:
I'll choose the +2 if it either failed by less than 2 or was less than 2 away from a critical success
Or if none of the above applies I'll just refund the Fate.

Problem is, the biggest time-investiture around-the-table re: Fate Spending is usually people arguing with the GM over aspects.
Which, over the table, is one of the most fun and hilarious parts of the game. But when I'm posting updates less-than-daily, it will cause way too much bogging-down, so I'd prefer people try and keep their fate-spending as iron-clad as possible.
Probably my best bet would be: If you're uncertain, post reasoning in a spoiler or in OOC - like:

"Larok needs to use Athletics to climb the stairs quickly. If he's a 'Fighter from the hills', can I spend fate because he's used to running up the hills?"

If it's in OOC I encourage players or passers-by to comment on how solid or weak that reasoning is.
I can then tally it up next time I'm posting and if it's too much of a stretch, it'll get Vetoed.

Does that sound good?

tl;dr I'm making the game more complicated but also easier to learn.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 22, 2016, 04:12:00 pm »

Well, Crafts does apply to a lot of stuff, as does Lore. I'm stretching Nabih thin here because he's a renaissance man but a wimp in combat, so that creating and managing will be my greatest joy. That Stunt was designed because both I and my character are paupers and the thought of losing material to a failed check is abhorrent, specially because I'm worried about the economy.

If you do bring the old system back I guess I could do the same via fate re-roll, and though I could deal with preemptive allocation, I'm against it because in the system you can choose to spend Fate after the roll. I don't trust myself not to forget to allocate Fate to some important/above average useful roll.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 22, 2016, 04:20:12 pm »

Well the third and only other option is to play it as intended over table, and deal with every fate expenditure when it comes up.

Which I'm still pretty convinced will slow the game down by a factor of three at least.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 22, 2016, 05:37:31 pm »

Lying to a Liar sounds pretty great

I think keeping it moving might be the best way to do it?

Not sure what the forking aspects meant, though...:?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 22, 2016, 06:08:51 pm »

I'm going to be honest here and say I never knew how the system worked in the first place, so any change is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ to me.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 23, 2016, 10:38:45 am »

Ok, so I will go back to the old system.
Layman's terms:
Fate is a special resource basically revolving around the personality of characters.
If it's important that you pass a specific roll, and your chatacter's got an aspect which suggests they'd be good at that stuff, then say you're gonna burn fate when you make the action, and it'll increase your success chance.

But the only way to get fate back is when I bribe you into doing things which are detrimental but in-character.

There's a couple of other ways to spend fate, like making assumptions about a place or person,
(E.G. "This guy's a dock thug, so I'm gonna burn fate to see if he's dimwitted.)
("We're in a warehouse, so I'm gonna assume there's a Crane-chain I can swing dramatically from")

Or for getting extra invokes on on aspects or advantages you've used up the invokes on.
(E.G. I know that Broken leg is only good for one invoke, but I wanna burn fate to kick it again, just to make sure he's not planning on getting up.")
-- Useful if you want help on a roll but don't have an aspect which you can trigger fate off.

Or, lastly, for dictating the actions of an NPC based on their aspects (better hit those empathy checks)
(E.G. "Dock Thug is dimwitted, so when my character gives a complicated reason for why he can't give any money, he probably will take about ten seconds to work it out, y'know, when I'm already at the other end of the alley")

Also:
That Stunt was designed because both I and my character are misers.
FTFY

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 23, 2016, 06:25:22 pm »

I'm not saying I won't do the preemptive allocation: like I said, I could do it exactly to save time, though I don't trust myself to not forget to allocate a FP now and then. The original system will require some reading from most players and keeping it simplified might be better for some people. I'm overall unsure about a change due to that. Instead of asking people about the system change, asking them "will you bother reading the SRD to learn the system?" might yield more accurate replies.

And do you have a plan B if the economy turns out to not work out very well? Nabih is kind of the sink-or-swim Middle-Eastern guinea pig here.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 23, 2016, 08:58:55 pm »

I want nobody to Have to read the SRD.
Is the entire idea of this campaign.

So given that people so far are enjoying the game simply by having rolls happen to them when they do something specific, I'm just gonna keep doing that.
So basically despite all the changes the only person who'll be squeezing the full potential out of the system will be Caellath.
Freaking Caellath.

Edit: Things got kinda quiet.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:07:22 am by Tack »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 25, 2016, 06:38:21 pm »

People, weekend's over and I think it's about time you return to posting.

And that is mean.
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 26, 2016, 01:54:03 am »

C'mon, ain't mean if you own it.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 27, 2016, 01:10:27 am »

Oh. Sorry. I got this mixed up with a different game which I had posted in. I'll do it tomorrow.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 28, 2016, 09:26:43 am »

Tack, I believe they just don't have much to do at the moment. We could try quickly resolving this business before moving on to more exciting prairies.
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 29, 2016, 04:25:52 pm »

All chatter's good chatter.
But I might have a poke at it some time this weekend.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 03, 2016, 07:18:33 pm »

Still got my dice on my desk if any PC's wanna speak up.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25