Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25

Author Topic: Mercenaries of [FATE] OOC (Players Needed)  (Read 24617 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenaries of [FATE] (3.5/5 players)
« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2016, 11:58:09 am »

Boop.
That kind of hint is plenty enough for me, although I can also pick up more subtle ones.
but you didn't pick up the "shatter a human's jaw" one ;-;
Black lives matter.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2016, 12:02:20 pm »

@Tack: I was asking about the result for trying to get those two contracts, which I requested a turn ago. How about this for a Stunt? Shrewd Cheapskate: Twice per session when a failure or tie would result in loss of materials or funds, Nabih can re-roll the result.

@SB: You could do it in an OOC spoiler like the mechanics note I add to my posts.

Ninja'd.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 12, 2016, 12:20:03 pm »

I'm not sure I get the homerules precisely, but doesn't that make weapons really fragile?

And to me it'd make more sense if the armour's protection decreased as it got damaged more - breaking a pauldron doesn't mean the breastplate doesn't work, after all.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 12, 2016, 01:38:07 pm »

I agree the weapons seem a bit fragile. Using those rules wouldn't killing a single unarmored person deal enough stress and consequences to a sword to give it the blunt/cracked/chipped condition?

And armor could have all the previous levels' consequence boxes as well, so that a heavy armor that had its [6] consequence box used would have taken a harsh blow but still keep the [4] and [2] boxes, while if said armor instead took a [2] attack it could be, like Gigla said, knocking off or damaging one of the pauldrons but keeping the breastplate intact. That might make armor quite powerful, but to be honest it seems like a legitimate addition. Either that or a change to the armor's stress system.

And by "If damage dealt is too high to fill a consequence box, it is instead put directly onto your health." do you mean it's completely bypassed? Checking the box then making the excess go into your health makes more sense, in order to represent damage being mitigated but not completely prevented.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 12, 2016, 01:46:03 pm »

It's like... well, armour should be good. That was the whole point of it - it should be better to wear armour in a fight than not.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 12, 2016, 02:15:07 pm »

Yeah, and good armor is supposed to be expensive and cost more to repair, which provides a natural balance. The suggestion I made makes heavy armor much better, medium armor gets a good boost, and light armor gets nothing, hence an alternative might be to keep the current consequence system but make each armor passively shave stress from hits taken in a scale like -1/-2/-3.

Another option would be having Light armor only have [1] stress boxes but a few of them as a means of mitigating several blows. Medium would get more [1] boxes than light armor with the addition of some [2] boxes and the same would work for Heavy, now with the addition of the [3] stress boxes.
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 12, 2016, 06:34:41 pm »

I'd prefer to make the stress be exactly based on a craft check, that way player crafters (seeing as we have one) feel as though creating their own armour is viable and strong.
I could potentially change it to X boxes based on the craft check, with light armour getting [1]'s, medium half [2]'s and heavy 2/3rs [2]'s and [3]'s as you suggested.

The idea I had for weapons was that they were fragile, or at least difficult to keep an edge on, much like real life. You go into battle with a keen sword, and it cuts true for the first few cuts, but once you use it as a can-opener to kill someone in full plate, that edge is gone.
At that point it has basically lost it's 'sharpness' bonus, but you can still use it to take advantage of aspects and whatever. However, if you REALLY need to do some damage, you can continue trying to act as though it's sharp, hacking and ramming it into a joint- but at that point it's gonna break under your abuse.

So to prevent swords from being too powerful, that's what I was going for. It's really good for helping you add on a little bit of damage to a difficult opponent, but if you rely on it to hew through mooks, then it'll just chip on their delicate skulls.
I think I'll have to change it to a system similar to the new armor system though, so that the consequence box fills no matter how far over that stress threshold you do, and it's only abuse after that which puts the weapon itself at risk.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 13, 2016, 12:08:52 pm »

The idea for armor seems reasonable. And yeah, I'm in favor of crafting quality affecting the stats.

Sentient Bowtie, you should probably post.
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 14, 2016, 12:26:12 am »

I see what you mean about the boost thingy. I think I left the result of the attack blank so that you could fill it in yourself, and throw something in like time to wind up or staring at his knuckles.
Hits man very very hard loses some on the poetry, but you definitely got the point across, so I'll call it a win.

Normally the type of boost should be given to the player though if people prefer I could just throw one out and the you guys can choose how to take advantage of it.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 14, 2016, 12:27:44 am »

sorry ;-;
Black lives matter.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 14, 2016, 12:32:51 am »

Woah your rolls are not great this combat.

Anywho, Nothing to 'pologise for. Considering that as a GM I'm teaching you the system of a fairly complex RPG on the fly and through a forum...
I mean I'm pretty impressed.

I myself am still messing up quite a bit in this game - For instance whatshisogre should've gotten a boost on the last tie.

Got a new stunt for your Ogre, btw Sentient Bowtie - (Funnily enough it's a stunt I'll probably be putting on most ogres now)

Cav Malėg: Gain a +1 to both Rapport and Will when you've taken a physical consequence this scene, or gain a +1 to Fight and Athletics if you've taken a mental consequence.

(Caellath, as an impartial, is that a bit too weak?)

Whilst I'm on it, yes I am rolling up/making up contracts as I go along. I think before next post I'll try to rack up a bunch so that you can attempt or pass on them at your leisure.
I've been dipping into empire mechanics from a different game system  so hopefully in a few days I should have 'set up' the various city-states to run on their own and generate their own 'issues', so to speak.
So I guess watch this space.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 01:06:02 am by Tack »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 16, 2016, 12:18:53 pm »

@Stunt: Hmm, I'm not sure. It depends on how long a scene goes on for taking in account we're in PbP.

And hey, I'm interested in the management aspects of the game since in the future I want a pike-and-shot army to dominate all of the known world.

And Gigla, do speak up if you have ideas to get Ghaminia more screen time. Maybe going around the hall and starting some arm-wrestling matches to mortally wound the pride of some men?
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 16, 2016, 11:21:21 pm »

I very much like that ambition, although the pile and shot may need tweaking in order to deal with fantasy races.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:13:30 pm by Tack »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 17, 2016, 03:06:57 pm »

It's a shame there's a dearth of contracts available in our current location. It's probably the price we pay for a safer location and no one jumping out of the bushes and trying to stab us so far. We'll probably have to relocate or establish our base of operations here but seek contracts at the closest of the big cities. Veracim, was it?
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 17, 2016, 06:11:05 pm »

Closest is the sister-city Reridge.
Almost as safe from conquering armies as Dashness, but for a different reason: their main exports being peat and tar.
Makes up for that with a scarily high crime rate.

Or Aurelar the big city which, being big will probably have many.

Next step on my weird fatefacking homebrewing stuff - Lore.
I hate games which roll on Lore/Knowledge. Like you 'Might have' heard of this monster but 'might weirdly be missing knowledge' about this one.
I wanna tell people about my world, damnit!

So, for lore- re- facts about stuff, I've decided to make it tiered and simple.
Lore:
0 Some knowledge about local.
1 Much knowledge about local, some knowledge about neighbouring.
2 ^ + Much knowledge about neighbouring, little knowledge about distant
3 ^ + Some knowledge about distant, little knowledge about secretive
4 ^ + Much knowledge about distant, some knowledge about secretive, little knowledge about ancient.
5 - and so on.

If anyone wants to know something I'll just consult and blah.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:06:15 pm by Tack »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25