Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25

Author Topic: Mercenaries of [FATE] OOC (Players Needed)  (Read 24625 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenaries of [FATE] (3.5/5 players)
« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2016, 06:21:22 pm »

You can basically invoke a boost for a +2 or reroll, though it goes away after used or if left unused after an action or a round (I guess it depends, I don't remember).
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 09, 2016, 10:20:35 am »

Are we waiting on someone?
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 10, 2016, 08:00:41 am »

Sorry all, my computer went kaput.

Present-tense, we're all fine, update nowish.

Also be aware I'm not charging FATE points for bonuses, but you cannot use them to reroll and the +2 is just a +1.
You can only use FATE points to add or invoke an aspect on other people.
... I think. It's been ages, and my forumbrew is weird.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:02:25 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 10, 2016, 01:20:09 pm »

so I can use it to punch people really hard
Black lives matter.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 10, 2016, 02:01:24 pm »

Also be aware I'm not charging FATE points for bonuses, but you cannot use them to reroll and the +2 is just a +1.
You can only use FATE points to add or invoke an aspect on other people.
... I think. It's been ages, and my forumbrew is weird.

I'm not sure I understand. FATE says you get a free +1 bonus from actions related to your character's Aspects, and you can spend a FP to invoke one of your character's Aspects at an appropriate time, re-rolling a result or adding +2 to it. What did you change on that?
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 11, 2016, 01:03:10 am »

The Fate system doesn't normally give you the free +1.

The Reroll and +2 which FATE spending would have provided is now switched to a free +1, because normally fate expenditure requires quite a bit of OOC discussion which could slow down the game a lot.

I'm happy to change it back to the standard, but I'm very sceptical as to how well it will work in a forum setting.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 11, 2016, 12:52:30 pm »

I think I mixed up your version and the original then. The re-roll's loss is pretty hard, though, I'm a fan of those.

And aspects can only be added or invoked on other people? What about objects/scenes?
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 12, 2016, 02:19:09 am »

That's usually done with 'create an advantage', iirc.
If not, then sure.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 12, 2016, 08:47:13 am »

I posted IC, by the way.

And could you provide an explanation of the differences between your version and the original? Is it just limited to the ones already mentioned? With the smaller number of applications for FP available, I'm considering taking more Stunts.
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 12, 2016, 09:09:37 am »

Basically just that one change. The goal is to rely on fate points as little as possible. You want to take more stunts, be my guest.
That will result in you being less resistant to character invokes, but I haven't been pulling many yet so the risk is minimal.

Any other changes to the system, I have no idea. I wrote the OP many months ago, we're all kinda playing catchup.

Edit: Also I'd update you, but SB hasn't posted yet, and Ghamina hasn't posted in near a week. Rolepgeek should be on the clear after this too. Don't really wanna leapfrog with one character, especially when high-action things are going on in the other scene.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:37:21 am by Tack »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 12, 2016, 10:12:39 am »

I am here, don't worry: I just didn't have to input to the conversation. I'll think of something to post in a bit.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 12, 2016, 10:56:20 am »

Yeah actually that makes sense. Taciturn is difficult to display over text.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 12, 2016, 11:06:20 am »

Sorry, I would but I'm not entirely sure how to word the fact that I want to use a boost in my post. ;-;
Black lives matter.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 12, 2016, 11:47:41 am »

Sorry, I would but I'm not entirely sure how to word the fact that I want to use a boost in my post. ;-;
Having an adrenaline rush, perhaps?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 12, 2016, 11:48:46 am »

Larok narrows his eyes menacingly. Pretty intimidating look.
"You are hardly better than the dirt beneath my boots, miserable wretch."
Boop.
That kind of hint is plenty enough for me, although I can also pick up more subtle ones.

In other news I've finally figured out weapons and armour. (at long last).

So, we currently have equipment aspects for what your character is armed with. That'll stick around. They're aspects which can be relied just as much as your other aspects-
Taking a stealth check? "Jonah is wearing Dust-covered travellers clothes, so he blends in better."
You've been grabbed? "Because of Alanah's Silks, she has an easier time slipping out of that"
Or the GM could use them against you.
"Because of your heavy armor you sink like a stone in the cold water"

Never be afraid to fork in aspects for most of your checks, or even fork in more than one.
(Yes, another gameplay change from standard FATE now. Every cumulative relevant aspect is another +1 to a check, borrowed from the Burning Wheel system.)

Weapons are slightly different. Sure, you can prop things up with your spear or cut holes in a tent with your knives, but their real value is dealing extra stress to armor- that being, blunt vs free-moving armor, slashing vs non-metal armor and piercing vs plate. (Some damage types may be OP, please advise)

Finally we get to quality and crafting.
Weapons and armor of a sufficient quality have a stress value and an equipment consequence.
All equipment has a consequence slot, however the stress value of any particular piece of equipment is commensurate to the difficulty of the craft check in order to make it.
Equipment can be made 'Masterwork' quality if a check is succeeded with style- which is naturally harder to do the harder a check the crafter decides to attempt.
Most crafters will have to choose between sturdy, pragmatic gear or subtle, delicate gear. Great crafters may get away with attempting to reach both.

Armor:
Armor's stress is added directly onto your personal physical stress. If you were to take 2 stress and your armor has a [2] stress box, you can tick that box instead of taking the damage.
Armor only ever has a single stress box, which is equal to the craft check attempted to craft it. (check, not result)
Likewise the armor's consequence box can be ticked instead of you taking a consequence, however rather than healing on its own it will require an investment to repair.

Light armor confers a Mild [2] consequence, medium armor a moderate [4] consequence, and heavy armor a severe [6] consequence, although they also have many downsides to their aspects.
When the armor's consequence boxes are ticked, that armor is considered 'damaged', and cannot be used until time and money (or skill checks) have been put into fixing them.
Broken light armor will just require an afternoon's sewing, whereas broken heavy armor will require a full refit and can be far more expensive.
Armor cannot be taken out of action. If damage dealt is too high to fill a consequence box, it is instead put directly onto your health.

Masterwork armor does not confer a direct combat bonus, instead it allows you to add extra positive 'flair' onto your equipment aspect, making it more useful later.
"Light" chainmail would allow you to move more freely, giving an athletics bonus, whereas "gilded" plate armor would make you appear ostentatious, possibly helping rapport or provoke checks.

Weapons:
Weapons have stress much like armor does, however weapons of quality have commensurate stress boxes all the way up to their highest box. The reason for that is simple.
Whilst a weapon is being used, it automatically confers a +1 to all physical stress dealt by attacks using that weapon- however it is also accumulating stress as it is dealing damage.
The amount of damage you deal with a weapon is also dealt back to that weapon (and that weapon alone!) as stress. If you cause [2] stress with a nick, your weapon will become less damaged than if you were to cause [6] stress by cleaving through something important (and solid).
Weapons all have a Moderate [4] consequence slot. If that slot is filled, then the weapon is 'blunted', 'cracked' or 'chipped'. At this point you can choose not to use the weapon's bonus, you can assume your character is being more wary with their weapon. However, if the weapon is ever taken 'out of action', it is broken and is treated as a consequence for the purposes of actions, advantages and actions.
(Yes! Enemies can use invokes from your broken sword!)

Crowdsourcing ideas time:

1: What looks Overpowered/Underpowered?
2: Should masterwork weapons work in the same way as armor, confer a ++1 to stress, or something else?
3: Are the equipment rules too complex?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:50:36 am by Tack »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25