Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25

Author Topic: Mercenaries of [FATE] OOC (Players Needed)  (Read 24614 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenaries of [FATE] OOC (1 slot left)
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2016, 10:09:16 pm »

Heh. Probably why money isn't in standard Fate. But it should all work out.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2016, 12:16:36 pm »

Isn't the base fee a little too high compared to the figures previously provided plus the fact the A-list seems a bit short on warriors?
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2016, 05:07:05 pm »

So you're aware, in standard pathfinder fashion, the things of adventurers are far more expensive than that of a ditchdigger.

For perspective, a basic sword is 20 silver. A weapon of sufficient quality to give you an attacking bonus is 3000.
I didn't intend for anyone to be wealthy enough to afford even one of those for a very, very long time.
However, this game is kinda built around freedom of action, so I'm happy to let it happen.
I'm just scrambling to keep up with this Miser-Billionaire.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:40:15 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2016, 10:46:04 pm »

Sorry, been focused on something else and actually forgot to get the haggling post in. Oh well, I'll post a retroactive action.

And don't worry, I'm fine with that. I am a bit familiar with PF (far less so than with its source, 3.5e DnD, but still) so I can understand some of the problems.

Won't use any FP, in order to spend them tomorrow instead.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 11:00:16 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2016, 07:09:54 am »

Alright! I guess it's time we kicked this game off for real!

Also Caellath: inn stay is 20 silver per person for two basic rooms with bed and chamber pot, 40 per for more roomy rooms with a fireplace, and 80 silver each for a two-bedroom good-lock fireplace suite.

It gets cheaper than the 20 but that involves sleeping on pallets in the common room.
(We'll make the assumption that Ghamina wouldn't be able to fit a pallet on the floor of the 20 silver room, at which point a room which would accommodate Ghamina is therefore 20 silver each anyway, if she prefers to stay in the same room as Nabih)

I figured you'd take the 20 option but if you feel the better or worse options are more thematic or affordable, lemme know.

Edit: Also hot damn I've gotta stop second-guessing myself on Nabih's name.
Maybe I should set up an autocorrect :S
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:50:53 am by Tack »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2016, 03:26:27 pm »

Nabih would either go with two rooms for 20 coins each unless Ghamina herself preferred the 40-coin room with a pallet/mattress of reasonable comfort so she isn't too far from her charge. The result is probably the same in the end. And in case the place has enough capacity and cheaper rooms like a flophouse's, he'd haggle, asking for a discount to be considered in exchange for the promise of constant business.

He's not a full-blown miser - he actually has good uses for the saved cash, for one - but is cheap enough to seem like one. Really cheap.
>Yes?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2016, 03:27:46 pm »

larok puts on a show for the dawn guard
Black lives matter.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2016, 04:17:35 pm »

By the way, I wanted to discuss pre-game purchases. While purchasing and towing metal wouldn't be exactly intelligent, Nabih'd likely have purchased and brought with him some slightly-fancy stuff that's at least theoretically cheaper for the Easterners depending on how your setting works. Things like moderately-fancy silks he could use to create uniforms (he knows the importance of selling a good image).

Oh, and probably kits for certain crafts, like sewing and medical work.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:21:08 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 01, 2016, 05:54:20 pm »

I assumed you'd have certain things from there, such as the aforementioned coffee and some silks, but I didn't expect you to have large quantities of trade goods, most of which would probably have been liquidated before this point anyway. So I'm gonna say no on trade goods sorry, if only because out this far east they would actually fetch a great price, and without the trial of the journey ingame, it just seems like free money.
That being said, medicines and and a surgical kit, crafting supplies and particularly various odds and ends to use in inventing would almost certainly be on Al-Safi, or more likely his horse/wagon.

As for haggling on a room, haggling seems to be heading towards similar problems as burglary, where someone with a high enough skill can just generate money. I think I'll try to relegate it to certain purchases currently. Haggling over the minimum price to stay in a room at night will likely just annoy the innkeep, especially as the 20 silver rooms are literally the smallest rooms available.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 01, 2016, 06:13:31 pm »

Yeah, having any financially relevant amount of trade goods wasn't my intention. I was thinking more like a length of silk to create something visually distinctive to add to the mercenaries' outfit, like a hood or short cape, specially since we'll start with few of them, though it's in no way necessary and can be easily replaced. And that sounds reasonable.

That's why I made it a possibility based on a specific condition; he wasn't going to resort to haggling unless he saw use in it, and I can simply leave it be.
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2016, 06:35:00 pm »

Good point. I'd say try to haggle whenever you see an opportunity, but if it's 'not exciting' or thematically appropriate, I'll just have the tradesman shut you down.

As for the distinctive colors for your mercenaries, I'm in a tough situation because something as simple as silk scarves are apparently up to 50 silver each here.
I think I'll just end up handwaving it as a purely thematic 'identifying mark', of which you have a number equal to the weight of Al-Safi's ambition when he set out, and which for some reason isn't commercially viable because of the symbol on it or something.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2016, 06:36:09 pm »

As for haggling on a room, haggling seems to be heading towards similar problems as burglary, where someone with a high enough skill can just generate money.
One could argue that is, perhaps, the objective of burglary as an activity.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2016, 06:42:03 pm »

It really is, however after recently playing a FATE game where the character stopped every ten seconds to pick the pockets of yet another crowd member...
Needless to say it becomes unfathomably boring, something which FATE insists for a good GM to never let happen.
So I told him he could only pick the pockets of rich (and therefore harder to steal from) people.

Which is a similar idea I'm implementing for haggling. Unless it's worth it, I'm not gonna bother.
Getting a room for a couple silver less is not enough to justify the extra reading people would have to go through.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2016, 12:46:34 pm »

Yeah.

Nabih wants to get to the house of commerce early so I'm good to go. Gigla, anything?
>Yes?

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2016, 01:02:50 pm »

Am intrigued, will make character
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25