Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25

Author Topic: Mercenaries of [FATE] OOC (Players Needed)  (Read 24604 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: [FATE] Mercenary Co. Startup/OOC (6/6)
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2016, 06:33:23 am »

If someone with a reasonably powerful Will inscribed an elder rune for "keen" on a sword, it might be noticeably sharper.
But it isn't much more powerful than placebo, so charlatans can take advantage of it. Ogres and Goblins don't generally believe in it, and humans are fifty-fifty.

So. You can be a Mage, but you ain't throwing fireballs.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: [FATE] Mercenary Co. Startup/OOC (6/6)
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2016, 06:35:29 am »

That sounds more like an enchanter to me.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: [FATE] Mercenary Co. Startup/OOC (2/6)
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2016, 06:36:48 am »

That sounds more like you shouldn't be arguing with the GM about the setting to me.
Black lives matter.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2016, 06:39:47 am »

What gave you the idea that I was?  I'm talking about my character, I need to frame them in the right terms to play them right.  And if it's mostly about increasing the natural effectiveness of things, it's more an enchanter or artificer type of magic, as opposed to the throwing of fireballs.  Unless I'm vastly underestimating the scope of what can be modified.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2016, 09:50:01 am »

To start with- Magic is uncommon and kinda crummy. It consists almost entirely of charms, wards and the like- spells written on parchments or carved into items, making it hard to distinguish from folklore.
Depending on the magic, it will usually take a mixture of Lore and Will.
First paragraph dude. I mean. I didn't beat around the bush with it.
It's called "Low Fantasy" for a reason.

However, if we're after a definition debate- "Mage" is a person who Uses magic.
Considering that all magic in this game is that same type, I don't think society would ever really think to categorise magic. So "Wizard", "Enchanter" and "Mage" are all basically buzzwords used by people trying to sell you something.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:52:55 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2016, 10:13:11 am »

So Nabih's clan has been in the Surrounds for a good while. Since aspects are generally capable of generating opportunities and problems, the last aspect seems to address them pretty well.

I try to make High Concepts that sound like a class name, so "Steel Wizard" has more than than one meaning there since it's used in both meanings: magic-user and skilled/prodigy at something. I noticed it was low fantasy, but the concept seemed pretty good.

All in all, still working on my character but I guess the general idea is already clear. Any questions?
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2016, 10:40:29 am »

Nope. I like it.
Especially re: human invention stuff. Basically people will only develop something if there's a shortage, so Steel is actually still a relatively new invention amongst humans, even though they've been trading it for centuries.

Game's Open.
Although it's starting rather slowly.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:29:26 am by Tack »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2016, 12:34:43 pm »

[Larok decks the fuck out of the miner]
Not really, though. And sorry about the not finishing my sheet stuff. I can do that in an hour and a half or so.
Black lives matter.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2016, 12:47:46 pm »

I see the situation. Now that I got some time let me see if I can help.

And I'm now in doubt whether Rapport or Contacts would work better for trading/purchasing material.

Edit: And are we using Resources since it isn't in the Skill Table?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:42:20 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2016, 01:57:35 pm »

We are not. Money is gonna be quantitative. Y'know, once I figure out a gold standard for the world/buy the company contracts.

Contacts will be knowing good people to buy from.
Rapport will be how well you can haggle.
Deceit or Provoke might factor in there too if you can sell it to me well enough.
So basically, all of it will contribute a little towards getting the best price.

Right, I think I've figured out the basic economy. Once everyone's characters are done, I'll distribute the money, as people like Caellath will likely have a larger amount of borrowed funds, whilst characters like SB's will have a year's wages, minus rent.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:27:34 pm by Tack »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2016, 02:16:16 pm »

Yeah, I suspected it'd be like that. It's why I got Contacts and Rapport; I suppose knowing/finding good people to buy from will make haggling less of a problem.

I've only been in one FATE game so far (and it was Accelerated) so despite being moderately familiar with this stuff some of it still feels off. Stunts, for example, will probably be a bit hard to write down as far as effects go, though at least one's already done.
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2016, 02:35:55 pm »

Inspiration?
Building stunts SRD
Stuntmaker tool (less recommended)

All of the skill pages have a few stock stunts too.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:40:28 pm by Tack »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2016, 03:00:17 pm »

[Larok decks the fuck out of the miner]
Not really, though. And sorry about the not finishing my sheet stuff. I can do that in an hour and a half or so.
No worries- just check out the advice I gave and finish up your aspects.
Skills don't necessarily need to be done yet, but you'll count as mediocre at everything until they are.
Which really doesn't matter currently. Worst case, you floor the miner, and get kicked out.

However, I really should explain how you can fight back.
Basically, you can either Attack, or Create an Advantage.
Basically, Attack straight-up inflicts stress on someone, which is what the miner did to you.
He used his Provoke skill, which involves bullying, taunts and threats.

Creating an advantage involves making new aspects or discovering current aspects, and most importantly, racking up free invokes on them. Invoking aspects usually costs Fate, which is very rare. If you can succeed a skill check whilst creating an advantage, you'll later be able to pop that aspect for free, getting a 2+ on a relevant skill check.

So basically, if you used Rapport to create an advantage on his Racist aspect, you could rally the nonhumans in the bar. Then, later if you decided to Attack with a Mental or Social skill, you could pop that free invoke in order to help your cause.

But that's the simplest options here. You could challenge him to a game of cards, or offer to take it outside- the world is your oyster except currently your oyster is a filthy tavern packed with randoms.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2016, 05:52:05 pm »

Doubleposting 'Cos. I'm the OPGM. Do what I want.

So a few quick things, Re: the IC.
1. Hopefully this is giving a decent demonstration of the mechanics of this game. Combat will be much like this but probably with more blood (Maybe! The night isn't over yet!)
2. I tend to seriously spam the [.abbr] tag, so if you see dots- hover!
3. Currently, making up boosts and consequences are fun, and like most fun things, I want you guys to do it. So if it doesn't affect the outcome of that turn dramatically, i'll usually let you do a bit of fluff and slot in the desired thingo next turn.
4. Boosts are one-hit aspects. They should be thought up with the purpose of only lasting a few moments, as you'll probably burn them on your next turn. They can be either something you're doing "Intimidating pose", or something they're doing "Momentarily taken aback".

Don't hesitate to ask if any of y'all are confused about the massive blocks of greytext.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2016, 06:05:54 pm »

Fixed the sheet, probably.
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25