Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mörulzursùl - Pagechewed, the Unparalleled University for the Uncultured  (Read 626 times)

Urist McBlind

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile

Nevermind nothing to see here, save got corrupted. My apologies.

Welcome to Mörulzursùl or Pagechewed, the Unparalleled University of Udon Kajeth, The Domain of Griffons!

Tldr: I won’t be farming and instead trade for food.

This will be a community fortress in the traditional sense i.e. not a succession, I will be playing and documenting my unmitigated success and reader input will be limited. You’re of course welcome to request a dorfing, just give me some specification on what kind of dwarf you want to be.

However, there will be some limitations, which brings us to the theme/rules I’ll be playing by. For a while now I have thought that agriculture is ridiculously overpowered in Dwarf Fortress, since you can feed a fortress of two hundred with tiny fields worked by only a handful of skilled planters and some fertilization. This makes survival quite easy once you get the hang of it and makes trade basically superfluous after the first few years. So I’m going to play this fort completely without farming for food or drink and instead trade for it. (Though  I suppose Farmer isn’t the most sought after vocation around here)

I will probably farm some sort of fiber plant though, since, as I already mentioned, I’m also going to try to be a university with a constant output of writing as that’s one of the big features of this release after all. I’m in fact hoping to make books my primary trade good, and caravans just don’t bring leather or cloth in the quantities I’ll need for that(-wait, can you even trade books? I’ll have to check).
I considered having an all merc military as well but I think I’m going to require a proper military if I really plan to be so reliant on trade.

So here we go!

Also, English isn't my first language, so i apologize for mistakes and some stilted writing.

Journal of McBlind Orbrooted
1st of Granite 550
I was actually pretty nervous this morning, getting out of my bed in my quarters in the mountainhome for the last time. I mean sure, today I’m setting out to found the first university this side of the world has ever seen but I prepared very carefully! I searched for potential sites, worked with prospectors to find out what sort of resources I could expect and I managed to gather some enterprising minds and guards before I even applied for a grant with the king. And with the promise to also establish a faculty for military science and metallurgy I managed to get the money for supplies and permission to set out. So set out I shall and the part of me who is grumbling that my bed is comfy can just shut it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2nd of Granite 550
A priest! The goddamn clergy demanded I take a goddamn priest with me to “make sure all matters attended are proper”! Proper! How do you do Science that’s proper? You don’t dammit!

10th of Granite 550

Priestess. She has pointed out to me that she is, in fact, a woman. I need to hide my journal better.
She also appears to actually have an actual interest in science, in the matter of heredity in particular. This, she claims, is the real reason she has come with us but I’m not convinced. Some of her theories on the why and how of brewing and distilling are still quite intriguing, I must admit.

15th of Granite 550
We have arrived! I figure this is as good a time as any to elaborate a bit on just why we have set out to found a university. See, down here in the south there has long been a dearth of intellectual progress due to the many destructive wars that have been fought by the elves in an effort to eradicate the two goblin civilizations that also lived around here and which was additionally magnified as they turned on us after the goblins had fallen in the most destructive war that has ever been fought, killing in total more people than there are elves left today in this world.
This lack of progress has caused us to be looked down upon by the humans and goblins of the north. As the son of merchants I have visited the north many times and found myself grudgingly agreeing with them and from that point I had only one goal: Get The Pillars of Feeding, our civilization, to take back its rightful place among the foremost nations. So the idea for this place was formed.

Anyways, I think I may have been shafted with the fees for the prospectors.
Sure the ores promised, iron and gold, are present but I don’t think an expert was necessary to figure that out.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, currently available for dorfing are two hammerdwarves, two miners, the priestess who'll also be our brewer and one dwarf who's currently our wood chopper and carpenter but will soon be made a glassmaker. My dwarf is a paper-maker/scribe but it'll probably be a while till i can really get to that so for now i'm helping wherever.

For those interested, the wars I mentioned actually happened, I discovered them through legends viewer. While the 83 wars that have been fought on Udon Kajeth have been split evenly between north and south, of the 10 most destructive wars only 2 were fought in the north, and those take the 8th and 10th place. This is all the more notable as roughly 75% of the people in the world live in the north, all the humans and goblins. The elves in the south wiped out and assimilated all the goblin civs in the south but with over 5000 dead the most destructive war by far was the Scorching Conflict between our civilization and the Fated rains and as i said, a lot of people died there. As in more dwarves were killed than live in our civilization today. By about 500. That war was over 200 years ago.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 04:06:17 pm by Urist McBlind »
Left eye

Urist McBlind

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile

<snip>
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 04:04:57 pm by Urist McBlind »
Left eye