Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: Arms Race - 1784: British Loyalist Design Phase  (Read 12074 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race - 1784: British Loyalist Design Phase
« Reply #225 on: January 25, 2016, 09:20:46 pm »

Yeah, a carbine isn't too important right now. IF anything we can just use our cavalry as dragoons, give them the full-sized rifle and not worry about that too much.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 25, 2016, 11:08:41 pm »

Yup, I agree for rifled cannons. Think we can try to also get some ammo types we don't already have, like a Shrapnel shell?

And yeah, we go dragoons temporarily to solve infantry, but we need to keep our naval advantage up. I suggest we copper the bottoms of both ships, and go for sail refits as well(maybe doing a Bermuda Rig sail plan for the Jaeger)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 25, 2016, 11:13:57 pm »

Why not for the london class?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 25, 2016, 11:18:03 pm »

Sloop rig our brig?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 27, 2016, 04:31:59 am »

Yup, I agree for rifled cannons. Think we can try to also get some ammo types we don't already have, like a Shrapnel shell?
+1. But these are a revision aren't they?

In that case, I support
Brittania class Steam Frigate:A new, 200ftx100ft steamship that utilizes an Archimedes Screw(1 full twist) and rudder system instead of paddlewheels for propulsion( though failing that, paddlewheels work as a backup). It is armed with 1 contiguous gundeck consisting of 28 6-pounder guns(14 in each broadside) as well as 2 6-pounder chasers. the coal bunkers are designed to provide some amount of extra protection to the boilers from the side.
as our design action.

by the way, do we all agree on spending our focus on building a fort to protect the beachhead?
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 27, 2016, 05:44:41 am »

no, we thought about the cannon for the design. Not overly ambitious, but it still improves our casting and introduces rifling to the system. plus, compatible with all our ships. That britannia class steam ship I think deserves a turn of its own to be useful. And I am not sure it would be on the first iteration fast enough to enforce our blockade.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2016, 06:55:02 am »

no, we thought about the cannon for the design. Not overly ambitious, but it still improves our casting and introduces rifling to the system. plus, compatible with all our ships. That britannia class steam ship I think deserves a turn of its own to be useful. And I am not sure it would be on the first iteration fast enough to enforce our blockade.
In this case, shouldn't we try to go for breechloading? After all, working with out rifles has made breechloading no longer complex.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2016, 09:19:32 am »

That was my plan as well but somebody rightfully pointed out that breechloading cannons are a whole different beast from breechloading rifles.

maybe in the design we could add some good shot. like, I believe some other nation developed carcass shot?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2016, 09:51:20 am »

I'm a bit hesitant of trying to improve our cannons again. It gives a marginal naval improvement, but that's about it. In addition, I highly doubt we can keep extracting more performance from the same design. I think we should be just a tad more ambitious. Not as much as the rifle, but just a bit.

I propose that if we do go for the 6 pounder, that we at least add a horse carriage to it.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2016, 11:15:50 am »

I think we need a smaller faster design to counter those escaping our blockade, probably a ship that specializes in crippling ships not destroying them, as anti blockade runners.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2016, 11:29:57 am »

a mount for an horse carriage is a great idea, if we don't have it already. +1 to that.

rifled artillery should be a bit more than just a marginal improvement. hopefully.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2016, 11:48:54 am »

Theres not really that much of a difference between a gun that can damage a ships rigging and one that can get its hull.
Highly Opinionated Fool

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2016, 11:59:56 am »

chain shot?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 27, 2016, 12:15:47 pm »

Is a melee-range thing. Roundshot is about the only long-ranged round around.
Highly Opinionated Fool

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 27, 2016, 12:47:57 pm »

Or something to set fire to their sails.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17