Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Step-by-Step Modding Guides?  (Read 1168 times)

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any Step-by-Step Modding Guides?
« on: December 29, 2015, 03:01:06 pm »

Hello!

I've just become interested in modding and I am trying to find a tutorial that is step by step.  The ones that I found on the wiki would vaguely describe how to do something, and then paste the whole entire code down expecting me to know what everything was.  I basically need an in-depth tutorial that guides me along the process on how to create a creature/object/etc.

Also, would there be a place where all the different words and codes are defined?  A dictionary of sorts?

Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Any Step-by-Step Modding Guides?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 03:04:10 pm »

Heres the place where you find everything, but I must ask, are you planing on digging into the code? If not then go into the raws file to find out how to do things. Toady does NOT like people digging around inside of the actual code of Dwarf Fortress.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 05:03:02 pm »

Heres the place where you find everything, but I must ask, are you planing on digging into the code? If not then go into the raws file to find out how to do things. Toady does NOT like people digging around inside of the actual code of Dwarf Fortress.

...it's not actually possible to do that unless you're really, really trying, so i wouldn't worry

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 05:32:01 pm »

I'm just considering the way he stated it.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 06:00:35 pm »

Hello!

I've just become interested in modding and I am trying to find a tutorial that is step by step.  The ones that I found on the wiki would vaguely describe how to do something, and then paste the whole entire code down expecting me to know what everything was.  I basically need an in-depth tutorial that guides me along the process on how to create a creature/object/etc.
I'm planning to continue work on my for-personal-use mod tonight, and that will consist of creating a new creature, new entity, and several new items. However, I'm really not sure what I could tell you that the tutorials on the wiki won't already. A step-by-step tutorial isn't really possible when it comes to creating things from scratch.

Also, would there be a place where all the different words and codes are defined?  A dictionary of sorts?
Go to the dwarf fortress wiki, search "<object-type> tokens" and you'll get just that. (Ie: Creature Tokens, Weapon Tokens, Entity Tokens, etc.)

Or being needlessly pedantic, take your pick.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 06:11:27 pm »

I can't see anything related to the game's code. The word "codes" is used, but that's pretty clearly referring to raw tokens ([SITE_CONTROLLABLE] etc.) in-context.

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 08:04:28 pm »

I am not refering to the actual code, I meant raws!  Sorry about the confusion.  I can understand why Toady wouldn't want people peeping into the code.  Thanks for all the advice and what ya linked me to is perfect for what I need.  I'm just interested in making new creatures and such. 

Thanks!
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 12:16:44 pm »

The best way to learn modding is to look at mods that do something similar to what you want to do. Experienced modders know all kinds of little tricks that never make it to the wiki...

If you run into trouble ask for help in the questions thread (check the wiki first).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 05:23:07 pm »

Experienced modders know all kinds of little tricks that never make it to the wiki...

wait why

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 05:45:14 pm »

Do you stop work on something to go run update the wiki? I certainly don't. The wiki is loaded with stuff that is incomplete and/or flat out wrong. Sadly I don't have time to update it...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 09:39:34 pm »

Do you stop work on something to go run update the wiki? I certainly don't. The wiki is loaded with stuff that is incomplete and/or flat out wrong. Sadly I don't have time to update it...

The modding sections are only slightly out of date, due to the new release and all, but have most of v0.40 complete. Most of the stuff changed for v0.42 isn't necessary for My First Mod.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??