Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Honoring the Fallen: Your methods.  (Read 5518 times)

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
Re: Honoring the Fallen: Your methods.
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 02:00:53 pm »

Tombs, crypts and graveyards have always seemed like a way to put a corpse somewhere and forget about it, and that's always bothered me a little. I took some time to consider what is the one place where dwarfs always go, what is the one thing dwarfs are known most for doing. The answer I found was the Legendary Dinning room for drinking!

My dead dine eternally with the living. The walls and the rows of tables of the dinning hall are lined with the coffins of all fallen dwarfs great and small. All of you are dwarfs and all of you deserve nothing less than to dine eternally with your brethren.
You have devised a way for the dead to get, albeit metaphorically, drunk. I salute you.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 02:07:24 pm »

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the magma tanks, and become one with the earth.

—Urist McSheng-ji Yang
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 02:09:46 pm »

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the magma tanks, and become one with the earth.

—Urist McSheng-ji Yang
This is a reference.

I like this reference. Please continue.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 03:27:01 pm »

Meh. I just dig out some 3x10 rooms in the level below the bottom of my fort (sub-basement 4-D). These get 20 stone coffins each along the walls, set to accept anyone but pets (bury your puppy outside, dammit!). Corpses get tossed into the boxes as they are discovered. If you died defending the fortress, that means you failed to survive, not that you're some kind of hero. Now we've got to grab some hauler and train him up from scratch.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." -- Gen. George S. Patton
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 03:35:51 pm »

By the way. If anybody knows how to design a garbage chute that accepts sentient corpses, but not dwarves.

I don't think this can be automated.  At least not without DFHack type tricks.

Or at least how to get dwarves to prefer coffins over the garbage chute, I'd much appreciate it!

If you build a bunch of coffins and designate them for burial, each dwarf that dies on site should be automatically assigned to one of them, and any pathable body parts stored in the coffin.  But I don't know if having a corpse stockpile interferes with this.  I do not use corpse stockpiles, or refuse stockpiles, at all.
I am using that plain coffins style too and refuse/corpse stockpiles do not seem to interfere. I rather get problems when goblin corpses are moved to corpse stockpile next to butcher shop which then does not accept them and they rot there, cuasing miasma... Huh, I wonder now, why I haven't set that to not accept corpses of sentient races yet.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 06:05:42 pm »

Because it's a royal pain to set a corpse stockpile to not take sentient races. It's not as bad as going through the food->fats list and only allowing tallows for a soap workshop, but within an order of magnitude.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 01:18:08 pm »

By the way. If anybody knows how to design a garbage chute that accepts sentient corpses, but not dwarves.

I don't think this can be automated.  At least not without DFHack type tricks.

Or at least how to get dwarves to prefer coffins over the garbage chute, I'd much appreciate it!

It can be done in vanilla with a quantum stockpile-like setup. (Corpse+refuse stockpile, feeding a stationary minecart on a track stop set to dump, on a route with only one stop, where it's always loaded, feeding from that pile, with the dump tile over the mouth of the chute.) If that's what you're doing, simply forbid sentient corpses from the stockpile that feeds it, or at least those of your dwarves. (Stockpile settings, which I think is q->t.)

If you're manually dumping your dwarves & other corpses with k->d (or d->b->d)...then don't, and make a setup like what I described :P Garbage dump zones are indiscriminate of what's being dumped; once marked as junk, it's all junk; they can't be filtered except by not designating what you don't want to be dumped.

With corpse stockpiles vs. coffins, I think I've seen it happen both ways (to the pile first, then the coffin, vs. directly to the coffin), so it might be best to take the precaution of only allowing non-sentient corpses in your garbage-feeding stockpile.

As far as my own burial practices, I definitely try for a nice mausoleum, somewhere in a good stone layer. Often I have efficiently-packed, long hallways with 1x1 alcoves on both sides housing a combination of (stone) coffins, statues, and memorial slabs according to some kind of pattern, the walls engraved. This time I'm trying a multi-layer, broad hall with large columns (think Moria), with walkway-accessible coffin alcoves as above lining the walls. We have...a bit of a necromancer problem at the moment; he left about 60 well-armed undead outside, and we've been turtling (cut off from the mausoleum, actually) ever since (the necromancers themselves left a while ago, but we're still officially under siege, as well as de facto.) But the visitors...dear Armok, nearly 300 visitors have died since the undead showed up. They just enter the map and get slaughtered...despite our low food supplies (roleplaying with no underground crops), we built tunnels to try to rescue some of the more useful ones from the edge of the map to start a resistance force, with some success. But there are still over 300 corpses topside, which, when the next necromancers come...

So yeah, basically, even though I don't usually use garbage chutes, I think I'll have to this time :P

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2015, 02:09:47 pm »

It can be done in vanilla with a quantum stockpile-like setup. [...] simply forbid sentient corpses from the stockpile that feeds it, or at least those of your dwarves.

Forbid each dwarven corpse, one at a time, and leave them on the ground forever?  Um... I'm not sure that's what Tanaman had in mind.

(Stockpile settings, which I think is q->t.)

Stockpile settings are q s, but I was led to believe that you cannot tell a corpse stockpile to discriminate among sentients based on species.  Maybe I'm mistaken.  As I said, I don't use corpse stockpiles.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 03:17:34 pm »

Now that we have worshiping I make catacombs underneath my temples. In the early years my temples are simple unadorned rooms with a hatch leading to the tombs. Sometimes I'll dump worthy enemies and display their bones down there too. My most elaborate burial ritual though involved a whole mini city for the dead including dining rooms made of obsidian furniture and flooded with magma.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 10:55:52 pm »

It can be done in vanilla with a quantum stockpile-like setup. [...] simply forbid sentient corpses from the stockpile that feeds it, or at least those of your dwarves.

Forbid each dwarven corpse, one at a time, and leave them on the ground forever?  Um... I'm not sure that's what Tanaman had in mind.

(Stockpile settings, which I think is q->t.)

Stockpile settings are q s, but I was led to believe that you cannot tell a corpse stockpile to discriminate among sentients based on species.  Maybe I'm mistaken.  As I said, I don't use corpse stockpiles.

Yeah, you're right, I was mistaken about being able to set which corpses a corpse stockpile accepts (as I found out today when I started cleaning up the 400+ bodies from the surface.) It's only for refuse. Somehow I feel like I've had enemies' corpses put into refuse...but idk. That might also have been wild animal remains. So forget what I said :P The only way would be to make sure enemy corpses don't end up in corpse stockpiles (dump them instead with d->b->d, or some such), and have the chute only be for a garbage dump zone, not the stockpile. Kind of a pain, though, you're right.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2016, 11:13:59 pm »

Yeah, you're right, I was mistaken about being able to set which corpses a corpse stockpile accepts (as I found out today when I started cleaning up the 400+ bodies from the surface.) It's only for refuse. Somehow I feel like I've had enemies' corpses put into refuse...but idk. That might also have been wild animal remains.
Prior to .42, non-dwarven corpses (even sentients) did go to the refuse pile. Now that you can have non-dwarven citizens, it was changed from dwarf/not-dwarf to sentient/not-sentient.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 12:35:28 am »

It depends

How many dwarves have died at once?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 03:24:35 pm »

I haven't tested this, but when dwarves die, you could hit a on the corpse stockpile, to stop it accepting anything.  Wait until the dwarves are buried.  Then hit a again to allow the stockpile to resume working.

I don't know of any better solutions.  Sorry.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2016, 11:22:33 pm »

Every fallen dwarf is dumped into the volcano returned to the fiery blood of Armok from whence they were created, and given a memorial slab in an ore vein. Preferably hematite or limonite.
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 03:40:05 am »

Tombs, crypts and graveyards have always seemed like a way to put a corpse somewhere and forget about it, and that's always bothered me a little. I took some time to consider what is the one place where dwarfs always go, what is the one thing dwarfs are known most for doing. The answer I found was the Legendary Dinning room for drinking!

My dead dine eternally with the living. The walls and the rows of tables of the dinning hall are lined with the coffins of all fallen dwarfs great and small. All of you are dwarfs and all of you deserve nothing less than to dine eternally with your brethren.
You have devised a way for the dead to get, albeit metaphorically, drunk. I salute you.
You tried .42 adventure mode yet? You can get a dead dwarf literally drunk, too.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 [2] 3