Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: starving, dehydrated wounded dwarves  (Read 1648 times)

jaybee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
starving, dehydrated wounded dwarves
« on: May 28, 2008, 11:36:00 pm »

I have multiple dwarves starving and dehydrated while resting after being injured during a siege. I also have multiple unused buckets and multiple dwarves with only Health Care enable and yet "No Job". Is there anything else that can be done to to to get these guys to bring food and water to their dying fortress-mates?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: starving, dehydrated wounded dwarves
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »

Did you zone a water gathering zone using the "i" menu? I dunno, it's difficult to say what goes wrong with the healthcare system in DF since the dwarves usually just act on a whim and fancy when it comes to saving their teammates' lives. Sometimes they can act before you even realize someone is down and sometimes they are sipping chai lattes in the break room while watching Survivor: Boatmurdered on the telly as their blood brothers scream out "medic!!!", crawling across the asphalt wastes with their entrails trailing a bloody ooze behind them.

SoylentNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • Drum Dependent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:46:00 pm »

I hear that Survivor:Boatmurdered is a very compelling program.  You would have to be injured in order to not watch it...
"Soylent ninja is pirates!  Piraaaaaates!"
-McDoomhammer

jaybee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:50:00 pm »

they're pretty good about getting wounded friends to bed. then they just leave them there...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 12:34:00 am »

If it helps, you can try Gibbed's Dwarf Fortress Tweak. It has a very easy to use heal utility which instantly cures anything your dwarf suffers (except cancer). Get it here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=74

It's pretty useful, considering how bugged the healing in this game is.

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:52:00 am »

I'm afraid that Boatmurdered style first aid only works when your dwarves are horrendously mauled by packs of rampaging elephants

IvanF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 06:28:00 pm »

Are your buckets in the stockpile? For some reason dwarfs won't use buckets that are just randomly anywhere.

jaybee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 09:16:00 pm »

yep, they're in the stockpile