Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Give me a visual tour of your fortress  (Read 3018 times)

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
Give me a visual tour of your fortress
« on: December 28, 2015, 05:13:15 pm »

I love seeing other people's fortresses and how they've designed their layouts.

In this thread, I'd love to see series of screenshots explaining the layout of your fortress. What do your apartments/dorms look like? What kind of waterways/reservoirs do you have? Is there a bloody arena anywhere! I wanna see!
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Give me a visual tour of your fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 07:00:35 pm »

Tadaa.

WIP.

Spoiler: Town (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Minehole To South (click to show/hide)

Edit;
Just loaded up the savegame to show the panic room.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 07:05:56 pm by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 07:28:07 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12253-fountainnotch

Here's one I was kind of proud of. Go through the POIs in order and you'll get some tales as well.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 07:37:19 pm »

Here's one I was kind of proud of. Go through the POIs in order and you'll get some tales as well.

Your circles are truly pleasing.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 07:52:16 pm »

Your circles are truly pleasing.
Thank you! I long time ago I decided that circular workshops were more fun than square ones, and generated a bit more storage space. Since then, they've become very habit-forming. For the larger ones, I just draw them on microsoft paint and count the pixels.

I always end up making kind of a mess of my waterworks, though they always seem to work in the end. For bedrooms, I find it hard to avoid following what I think are the prettier/more efficient bedroom layouts on the wiki. The "windmill" layout in particular. It's a little hard to find individual bedrooms, but it's pretty and pretty quick to make once you get the keystrokes down.

That fort was also my first tantrum spiral. I have fond memories of the place, though the file is long gone.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 08:27:06 pm »

Here's my good old fort 'Bridgeesteems'. It has a some nice POI. My current fort is still a WIP, so I don't have that on the archive.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11435-bridgeesteems
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 08:49:23 pm »

This is a recent fortress, Fivefountains, showing four water fountains with a magma fountain in the middle.
The quality could be better, but you get the general idea. :)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 11:44:05 pm »

I'll give my fort a little time to develop.  It may have 90+ dwarves, but they've been crammed into the pre-aquifer layers for too long and I need some time to dig out the fort proper.  I do like the site for posting maps to tho,  :)

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 12:49:14 am »

Tadaa.

WIP.

Edit;

Oh very good. I'm inspired to do something similar with my own.
Playing since 2007

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 06:22:50 am »

Tadaa.

WIP.

Edit;

Oh very good. I'm inspired to do something similar with my own.

Now that goblins and shit can climb, I'm going to have to double up my wall height. Here is the First Floor (after the Ground Floor) currently being built. I intend to Fortifcation the walls, then have the walkway ontop, too.

I was going to expand over the river, but then I realised that by doing so, I'd need twice as many dwarves in my army to cover all points when ambushed. Not great.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 07:05:19 am »

Here's my good old fort 'Bridgeesteems'. It has a some nice POI. My current fort is still a WIP, so I don't have that on the archive.

Damn, I was surprised how clean the top layer was, until I realized that's a fort with the old single tile trees...
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 07:12:08 am »

In the far, cold south lies the fortress of Akrulakum,Tincaught in our language. It is a land of gentle hills, blessed with rich soil and vast reserves of iron, copper,coal and deeper down marble and gold. The fortress holds 143 residents, of which 35 are non-dwarves and 4 are dwarves from other civilisations. Its civilisation is struggling(there is no-monach, one of my founders was made queen but she was killed by zombies while out fishing), and a necromancer tower looms near, yet the fort prospers in the dawn of its 5th year.

The Fortress Entrance
Entering the fortress, there is a wide main entrance which can be easily walled off(as it is in the picture to prevent a goblin siege from charging in), as well as a long winding path lined with cage traps, which i built to capture my fortresses vast necromancer sieges. You can see the undead storied in a cage stockpile, as i have not yet thought of a way to dispose of them. The various gears you see at the bottom of the picture are transmitting the power from my vast wind-farm to my marble railroad. My Masons workshops can also be seen in the picture.

The Manufacturing Spire
Around my main stairwell though my soils layers is my farming, crafting, brewing, cloth-making, glass-making, soap-making and pretty much any industry not involving rock or metal. The level pictured is where my farming, brewing and clothes making is done.

The Industrial Heartland
This is the industrial heart of the fort. The fortresses abundant ores are smelted here using the fortress abundant coal, while the marble railway brings in marble from the depths 40z levels below, to be used as flux for the newly started steel-industry(There was no flux higher up). My Masons workshops can also be seen on this level, as can my hospital. The walled off bed in my hospital entombs are a dwarf bitten by a were-beast, while next to him sits my mayor, crippled after i ordered him to stand in front of a mine-cart after finding out he was a vampire

The Social Heartland
This the tavern, called "the tummy of home" it is getting fairly crowded with all the migrant performers i have let in(in the hope they will one day become citizens, allowing me to assign them labours, helping with my chronic manpower shortages due to my massive infrastructure projects). The bedrooms you see around are housing for non-citizens. In the future i plan to build a second, much larger  tavern to cope with the overcrowding.

My Scholarly Wing
This is my library, "the creative sanctuary". It houses books brought by visiting scholars and bought from merchants, as well as those produced by local scholars(my scribes seem to lack the ability to copy, unfortunately). It is very popular with the general public, many of whom frequently read its various tomes.

Deep Housing
These are my dwarves Bedrooms, and this is my normal layout. I have another half-completed layer on the z level below just like this, and another one 2 z levels above which also contains my graveyard(which is fairly boring and functional). When my pump stack is finished(to bring water up from the caverns, as my river is frozen for half the year), i plan to engrave the walls of my bedrooms, but at present i do not have the manpower.

These various levels are all linked with a central 2x2 staircase, and a few smaller routes branch off and go far deeper as part of the creation of various large scale construction projects(at present a deep-railway and a pump-stack, but more will doubtless come)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 10:06:26 am »

Awesome! PTW!
One wheel short of a wagon

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 11:05:00 am »

That is rather nice, the mosaic and dome especially. I've been thinking of trying something like that myself.

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 01:55:41 pm »

In the far, cold south lies the fortress of Akrulakum,Tincaught in our language. It is a land of gentle hills, blessed with rich soil and vast reserves of iron, copper,coal and deeper down marble and gold. The fortress holds 143 residents, of which 35 are non-dwarves and 4 are dwarves from other civilisations. Its civilisation is struggling(there is no-monach, one of my founders was made queen but she was killed by zombies while out fishing), and a necromancer tower looms near, yet the fort prospers in the dawn of its 5th year.

Totally awesome! I like love your solutions re: The Undead Problem.
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."
Pages: [1] 2