Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elf in Cage & demon randomization  (Read 3016 times)

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elf in Cage & demon randomization
« on: May 28, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »

So I'm mining the bedroom quarters when I bump into Adamantine.  I think screw it even though the adamantine is going to make the rents sky rocket later.  Now when mining the adamantine I bumb into the demon pits.  

When I looked at the lower levels I find an elf in a constructed cage.  I'm thinking "hurray it really is Happy Fun Stuff".  Anybody know if I can deconstruct the cage, construct it somewhere else, and make a zoo out of it?

I never got to find out myself.  From the demon pits came Spirits of Fire.  it was about 10 Spirits of Fires against my 18 dwarves.  In the onsuring battle, one Spirit of Fire died and one lost its hand.  I'm wondering how often do Spirit of Fires come out of demon pits compared to the other types of demons?

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elf in Cage & demon randomization
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »

Anything in the pits is yours, so yes, you should be able to move the cages around once you've dealt with their guardians.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the type of demon you get depends on the dominate power spheres in your world, but since I don't pay much (any) attention to religion, basically I consider it to be random.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>Anything in the pits is yours, so yes, you should be able to move the cages around once you've dealt with their guardians.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the type of demon you get depends on the dominate power spheres in your world, but since I don't pay much (any) attention to religion, basically I consider it to be random.</STRONG>

This "dominate power spheres" intrigues me.  Anyone have more information on this?

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 12:13:00 am »

My understanding was that it actually depended on what gods your dwarves (your civilization/outpost) worshipped.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cavalcadeofcats:
<STRONG>My understanding was that it actually depended on what gods your dwarves (your civilization/outpost) worshipped.</STRONG>

How can you find out what gods your dwarves (your civilization/outpost) worshipped?

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

I do it by looking at the relations screen on a variety of dwarves--every dwarf has a relationship with its deity. Highlighting the deity and pressing enter will give you a breif description of the deity.

There's probably a better way--legends, maybe?

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by grelphy:
<STRONG>I do it by looking at the relations screen on a variety of dwarves--every dwarf has a relationship with its deity. Highlighting the deity and pressing enter will give you a breif description of the deity.

There's probably a better way--legends, maybe?</STRONG>

Which Gods make which demons appear?

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »

You might want to put a spoiler note on this topic. You are ruining the "Hidden Fun Stuff" for those "Hidden Fun Stuff" virgins out there.

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: A_Fey_Dwarf ]

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 10:40:00 am »

I thought the whole "dominant sphere" thing with demons was actually connected to what appears in the chamber. Basically, depending on the dominant sphere of the demons depends on what appears in the chamber or something.

Recently, when I broke into a demon pit, I thought it was going to be Spirits of fire, cos there was a magma pit and ashes everywhere, but then I noticed that the pit above had people in chains, an "unknown liquid" (which happens to be white) and pictures of people committing "depraved acts around the place. Got tentacle demons out of it (which, if I remember right, are the depraved act type of demon, possibly with Japanese schoolgirls)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 10:50:00 am »

Mo' like dwarven schoolgirls with little ≡Felsite Butterfly Charms≡ in their beard-braids!

So, double eew.

The dwarf is embracing the tentacle demon

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 10:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by LeoLeonardoIII:
<STRONG>The dwarf is embracing the tentacle demon</STRONG>

O_o

Huh. Now there's an image I'd like to (not) see on an engraving.

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 12:40:00 pm »

quote:
The Elf is committing a depraved act on the Dwarf

I can only assume its showing an elf give that year's tree-cutting quota.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 12:51:00 pm »

Water in the pits means frogs, white stuff means tentacles and if you don't see anything immediatly obvious then it's spirits for you.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Bricktop:
<STRONG>

I can only assume its showing an elf give that year's tree-cutting quota.</STRONG>

Insert wood joke here

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

This is nearly what you (didn't) want to see.

Any way I got about 25 spirits of fire in my most recent fort. There were ashes everywhere and things on fire. They were absurdly strong, killing my 6 elite hammerdwarves. I did manage to kill 9 Spirits before they overwhelmed me and burnt my fort down.

Pages: [1] 2