Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Search for Water  (Read 1514 times)

Jace_the_slasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • To the space!
The Search for Water
« on: May 28, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »

Does anyone have a good seed for a world with a lot of lakes?  I've been messing with underwater forts, but I can never find enough lakes.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Search for Water
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jace_the_slasher:
<STRONG>Does anyone have a good seed for a world with a lot of lakes?  I've been messing with underwater forts, but I can never find enough lakes.</STRONG>

How many lakes do you want?

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Jace_the_slasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • To the space!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

as many as possible

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 06:42:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>as many as possible</STRONG>

interesting.  So like 2+ or something like 4+?

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Jace_the_slasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • To the space!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »

4+.  I'm working on making several Raputer cities in DF mode for my future adventures in adventure mode.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 06:58:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>4+.  I'm working on making several Raputer cities in DF mode for my future adventures in adventure mode.</STRONG>

That shouldn't be to difficult.  Are you sure you are looking hard enough?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

Most maps have lakes, they are just not big enough to show on the righthand map. just follow rivers for a while looking at the middle map and you will find one eventually - they seem to be alot more common where 2 or more rivers meet. I just checked 2 of my maps and they both had more then 3 lakes that I found in just a few min of searching.

Edit: if you don't mind them being close together you can easily fit 4 fortresses in the same lake. They won't take up the whole lake of course, but 3x3 is PLENTY of space for a whole fort and you can fit alot around a single lake.

[ May 28, 2008: Message edited by: BurnedToast ]

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Jace_the_slasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • To the space!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

probably not.  I know the ~ is the character to designate a lake, but the last few worlds I've made I could only find 1 or 2 lakes large enough for my project.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 07:45:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>probably not.  I know the ~ is the character to designate a lake, but the last few worlds I've made I could only find 1 or 2 lakes large enough for my project.</STRONG>

The map I'm using now has lots of lakes that could be seen from the world viewer.  Most of them are inside mountains though.

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:09:00 pm »

Try seed 20. I seem to recall that this world was lousy with water almost to the point where it was difficult to construct a fort around all of it.

I may be mistaken though.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

You know, you could make your own lake. Simply dig out the area, construct your soon to be underwater building, (I'd make it outta glass, thats just me though) and then flood it from a lake, or river. even a brook would do the trick in a pinch.
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.