Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'Force/eject' animals/people? off the map  (Read 1300 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
'Force/eject' animals/people? off the map
« on: December 26, 2015, 11:20:17 am »

greetings, for some part in the near future i have plans to repopulate a glacier embark with a population of wild domesticated pigs for hunting, (to my understanding of a wiki article i read once, the world population of a animal correlates to how many enter and leave the map borders, which is why yeti's quickly go extinct since they rarely leave the premises from their already scarce population and how repeat migrations occur) given that they do not graze.

Aside from letting them trot off the map, how would i go about removing unwanted animals (both wild and tame)from my premises? (i am aware unless pastured tamed animals will meander back into meeting halls etc)

I did have a design in mind to catapult them out using drawbridges but i am uncertain if that would work, alternatively using minecarts. If anybody could offer me some direction (im not a extremely proficient DF player to reach the end-game but the advice for future projects and the benefit of the community) it would be appreciated.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: 'Force/eject' animals/people? off the map
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 11:49:08 am »

How about butchering and hunting? Use your military for the later if you need more control. Then make sure to have a butcher and a tanner on standby, and reap materials while waiting for your preffered animal...(Though, I suspect you are proly better off trading for them?)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 01:18:38 pm »

How about butchering and hunting? Use your military for the later if you need more control. Then make sure to have a butcher and a tanner on standby, and reap materials while waiting for your preffered animal...(Though, I suspect you are proly better off trading for them?)

You have misunderstood the concept.

I mean to force them purposefully and deliberately OFF the embark map as to reseed the world total. living population control is not the issue, but its more of a balancing ecological purpose. I mention in the OP i want to release tame pigs into the glacier so that they become native in order to hunt (if possible) throwing more pigs/animals would mean more off screen breeding + world totals of that animal.

By this method, unique animals such as yeti's that are captured can be released back, prolonging their presence in the game (since barely any animals live in tundra/glaciers, the pool for what animal walks onto the map is smaller) allowing greater farming of their materials and use of their living population.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 01:49:46 pm »

I know creatures basically ceased to exist once they left the map in previous versions....but I think that has changed now.  I have no answer to your question other than to please try different measures and report your progress.  I think you have a cool idea and I hope it works!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 02:01:42 pm »

Aside from letting them trot off the map, how would i go about removing unwanted animals (both wild and tame)from my premises?

Magma.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 03:23:09 pm »

I still don't have an answer for you, but it occurs to me that you might try asking this same question in the Modding section of the forum.  I know you are not trying to mod, but the people who post in that section are very familiar with the mechanics of the game and might be able to give you more help with your question. 

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 03:52:20 pm »

Catch-and-release. Cage traps, then walled enclosures to discourage pathing anywhere BUT off the map.

Alternately, breed the buggers in captivity but without taming them, THEN capture with cage traps and export them that way.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 04:02:28 pm »

If you were repopulating the area with local fauna, I know it has been theorized that it could be done by trapping a portion of the wild population on the map, allowing them to mate, then releasing a portion of the offspring.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But does the game track animals that are non-indigenous to the area though?
EDIT: I suppose you might be able to test this with the wildlife in the caverns; trap them, release them on surface and hopefully they wander off the overland map edge, then retire and check region pop to see if the animal shows up.

I suppose you can mess around with removing the tame tags via DFhack or some other third party tool so that they "revert" back to wild animals and wander off the map themselves. Then you can retire the game and check the populations to see if it works. Just throwing it out there as something to test out. Hope someone more knowledgeable than I am comes along and contributes as I am interested in finding out if this is something possible as well.

EDIT: I just thought of this, it might be possible to "seed" the population by bringing animals you want to introduce to the region to a nearby embark in the same region, allow them to breed copiously and retire the fortress. Then check the region population to see if the animals are tracked. If they are, you can then embark in the same region at a different site to see if the animals show up eventually. But you'll probably need a way to remove the tame status of the animals I suppose. Perhaps gui/gm-editor can remove the tame status. Though I profess I have not messed around enough with that DFhack tool to see if that functionality exists.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 04:45:47 pm by Zuglarkun »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 06:18:27 pm »

Catch-and-release. Cage traps, then walled enclosures to discourage pathing anywhere BUT off the map.

Alternately, breed the buggers in captivity but without taming them, THEN capture with cage traps and export them that way.

Ah but inherently though it may prove effective at first, the method i suggest of chucking them off the embark map forcefully may be more practical to my means of getting them off indefinitely in a timely manner rather than have them pottering around the outskirts.

If you were repopulating the area with local fauna, I know it has been theorized that it could be done by trapping a portion of the wild population on the map, allowing them to mate, then releasing a portion of the offspring.

That is the suggested method. Via forced close contact point touch breeding methods that can be done via a cage and pitting to a enclosed compact space, then lower said animals via mechanism grates (providing they don't stand on the cage tile) into a room lined with cage traps upon collection. Cart away excess animals for the dwarven animal repopulator (a large drawbridge near the map's edge) and fingers crossed a small population of new animals will enter the map at some point (providing that the current ones dont block those values)

I had similar breeding programmes in mind for my dungeon crawler idea. Tempt some monster hunters and mercenaries down (lead by piss poor waste of space tasked dwarves), trap them in my dungeon and unleash all hell on them with dropped wild animals and GCS's, eventually clear it out and collect the profit for melting or selling.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:15:04 pm by FantasticDorf »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 07:14:22 pm »

Tossing them off the map is unlikely to work, given that ballista bolts fired slam into the border and fall down onto the ground. I'd expect tossed animals to hit the "wall" of the edge as well.

Breeding wild populations seems to have a side effect. Whenever my silk farm GCS reverts to wild, I stop getting new migrating critters into one of the caverns, presumably the one the GCS came from originally, and, again presumably, because there is already a "free" wild creature from that cavern roaming the map. I don't have sufficient data to claim with certainty this happens, though.
If your objective was to raise yetis, though, you could probably catch enough of them in cages to get a breeding population, release them in a breeding pen, and then open access from the pen to the edge only (using drawbridges). I.e. what Skorpion & Zuglarkun said.

It's not impossible tame creatures simply refuse to leave the map, but I haven't tried.

If a release program would work on the surface, you might be able to get it to work in the caverns as well.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 07:26:32 pm »

Tossing them off the map is unlikely to work, given that ballista bolts fired slam into the border and fall down onto the ground. I'd expect tossed animals to hit the "wall" of the edge as well.

Breeding wild populations seems to have a side effect. Whenever my silk farm GCS reverts to wild, I stop getting new migrating critters into one of the caverns, presumably the one the GCS came from originally, and, again presumably, because there is already a "free" wild creature from that cavern roaming the map. I don't have sufficient data to claim with certainty this happens, though.
If your objective was to raise yetis, though, you could probably catch enough of them in cages to get a breeding population, release them in a breeding pen, and then open access from the pen to the edge only (using drawbridges). I.e. what Skorpion & Zuglarkun said.

It's not impossible tame creatures simply refuse to leave the map, but I haven't tried.

If a release program would work on the surface, you might be able to get it to work in the caverns as well.

You point on the natural 'wall' does make a degree of sense to me, however if this is the case, maybe i can arrange a plan B in order to catapult creatures *onto* a fortification, given that the movement would not be denied since the changes for beasts to pass through them by lowering all the map edges by one and carving fortifications (with a obvious entry point for caravans and intruders at normal height) in order to give them a nudge to get off my embark and be free.

Given yeti's live for a long time, two pairs of yetis on a overlapping close restraint should be enough. (more of a problem that yeti babies wouldn't be nearly as timid as sea serpents if the humanoid tag means that the mother wont stop holding them and likely break the restraints holding the parents)