Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to affect the topic of books?  (Read 693 times)

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
Is there a way to affect the topic of books?
« on: December 25, 2015, 09:26:25 pm »

I'm sorry if there is another thread on this, but I wasn't able to find one.

I am wondering if I can affect what topics my dwarves choose to write on. I have around 15 codices at this point, but 14 of them are histories of various dwarven and human hamlets. I want my dwarves to write manuals about crafts and scientific subjects, which feels more dwarfy to me. Is there a way to make this happen?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to affect the topic of books?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 12:44:29 am »

I think the knowledge branches are tied to skills, so maybe if you control what they read? IDK if reading actually increases the skills, or whether it's only from writing. I'm at least fairly certain a skilled dwarf will ponder about subjects mostly in its own field.

Edit: It seems like reading might not, according to another post. Ponder, discuss, and learn/teach.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 12:54:09 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 10:31:05 am »

Generate a world with very few sites?
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 07:11:04 pm »

I think the knowledge branches are tied to skills, so maybe if you control what they read? IDK if reading actually increases the skills, or whether it's only from writing. I'm at least fairly certain a skilled dwarf will ponder about subjects mostly in its own field.

Edit: It seems like reading might not, according to another post. Ponder, discuss, and learn/teach.

Aah, that post was very helpful, thanks for sharing.
So it sounds like my scholars would have to have high academic skills in order to write the sorts of books I want, and that it is quite difficult to level academic skills. I guess next time I'll just embark with a scholar.