Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why aquifiers exist in DF?  (Read 2334 times)

Aleksanderus

• Bay Watcher
  • Champion of the unknown
    • View Profile
Why aquifiers exist in DF?
« on: December 25, 2015, 12:25:41 pm »

Can someone tell me why aquifiers exist in dwarf fortress and on what are they used for becouse I think that they're useless
his title changed to "thruthful chills"
Also known as : "Believe me when I say this guy is a psychotic murderer".

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
Re: Why aquifiers exist in DF?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 12:29:09 pm »

Can someone tell me why aquifiers exist in dwarf fortress and on what are they used for becouse I think that they're useless
Aquifers  exist to make certain areas o fth egame more challenging, and because Toady probably has some form of simulation fetish.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 12:31:46 pm »

Because it's a realistic challenge that you would come across if you dig next to a river.

The problem is just that you can't make a pump without mechanisms, and dwarves need to be trained not to drown...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 12:37:43 pm »

Because it's a realistic challenge that you would come across if you dig next to a river.

The problem is just that you can't make a pump without mechanisms, and dwarves need to be trained not to drown...
Pumps only require a block, a pipe, and a giant screw.  To power them with a gear requires a mechanism, that's true, but you can power them manually with dwarves, too.  You can embark with stone, though, if you wish, as well as sand (glass) and/or wood (nether cap) to make all the components magma safe, if desired.
I prefer sites with partial aquifers (typically on the edge of the embark) as they are an infinite source of safe water and an infinite drain, without having to use the map edge, if desired.

Having said all that, sites that are completely covered in a 3+ depth aquifer?  No thank you!  :P

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 12:41:47 pm »

An easy way to deal with aquifer if you do not want to spend time with pump and those hellish multiple aquifer is to simply wait winter and the problem can be solved easily.

Start to channel a large hole from your surface down to the aquifer, then wait for winter.

Once winter come, every tile of aquifer exposed thanks to the hole to the surface cold will immediately freeze, allowing you to actually dig/channel through it without problem.
Do this for multiple layers of aquifer (as they will freeze as soon as they come in contact with the cold coming from the surface) and you'll be able to build stairs right through the multiple aquifer layers that were preventing you to reach deeper layers.

Just remember to wall all around your new stairs , so once spring comes the frozen aquifer tiles turning back into generating water will not go to your stairs.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 02:28:18 pm »

Technicallynot all that useless. Aquifier are nothing else than groundwater which nowadays many on Earth use as drinking source. Yes as stated toady loves to get into that kind of details.

Yes, that doesnt change the fact that they are sometimes annoying.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 02:33:03 pm »

An easy way to deal with aquifer if you do not want to spend time with pump and those hellish multiple aquifer is to simply wait winter and the problem can be solved easily.

Start to channel a large hole from your surface down to the aquifer, then wait for winter.

Once winter come, every tile of aquifer exposed thanks to the hole to the surface cold will immediately freeze, allowing you to actually dig/channel through it without problem.
Do this for multiple layers of aquifer (as they will freeze as soon as they come in contact with the cold coming from the surface) and you'll be able to build stairs right through the multiple aquifer layers that were preventing you to reach deeper layers.

Just remember to wall all around your new stairs , so once spring comes the frozen aquifer tiles turning back into generating water will not go to your stairs.

This method only works in climates with cold or freezing winter. Not in the milder and warmer climmates, where water does not freeze in the winter.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 03:14:52 pm »

Or just turn them off. :P
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 03:18:08 pm »

I've pierced aquifers using the cave-in method, but usually I prefer the double-slit method.  It's tedious, but works really well.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 04:07:15 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 03:35:44 pm »

Toady has said in one of the DFtalks that aquifers aren't meant to be be breached in their vurrent state, or at least he hadn't imagined players would manage to do so. He probably intends to add some new feature in the future to make dealing with the water table a little more straightforward.

I'm of the opinion that aquifer breaching is a manly sort of endeavor which every overseer should aspire to undertake at least once during their career.

Also, if you are frustrated by 'useless' features I would quietly back away from Dwarf Fortress, and pursue some other meta-complete video game.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 04:08:32 pm »

Toady has said in one of the DFtalks that aquifers aren't meant to be be breached in their vurrent state, or at least he hadn't imagined players would manage to do so.

Has he... ever read these forums? :D
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Aleksanderus

• Bay Watcher
  • Champion of the unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 04:18:59 pm »

Toady has said in one of the DFtalks that aquifers aren't meant to be be breached in their vurrent state, or at least he hadn't imagined players would manage to do so. He probably intends to add some new feature in the future to make dealing with the water table a little more straightforward.

I'm of the opinion that aquifer breaching is a manly sort of endeavor which every overseer should aspire to undertake at least once during their career.

Also, if you are frustrated by 'useless' features I would quietly back away from Dwarf Fortress, and pursue some other meta-complete video game.
I WILL NEVER GET BACK AWAY FROM DWARF FORTRESS!!! I have played it since 2013 (mainly adventure mode where I know almost everything) I just don't like aquifiers and I'm asking what I can do with them and how to deal with them so better think before posting.
his title changed to "thruthful chills"
Also known as : "Believe me when I say this guy is a psychotic murderer".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 06:01:43 pm »

They are most certainly not useless. They provide an infinite, FPS friendly water source and water drain. People that really need every point of FPS should play on maps without any river or stream, but with an aquifer. That said, piercing them is fun once or twice, but after that it's just a repetitive drag and pain, especially multi level ones on biomes that are above freezing point all year round.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shűl-nak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 06:57:55 pm »

Many point to the great beasts of myth as the most pressing threats to our kind - the bronze colossi, the dragons, the forgotten beasts & those of night. Others to rival civilisations - the goblins, elves, or men.

Perhaps.

But my greatest enemy is inescapable. He falls from the air, lives in every ocean, and permeates the ground beneath my feet. He swallows our miners, disgusts our landscape surveyors, and repeatedly cancels the construction jobs we use to tackle his near-ubiquitous influence.

You know the creature of which I speak. The beast of the blue. The Aqua Fur.

It is my quest to become the driest dwarf in the world. I shall seek out the secrets of life and death, and like a prune, expel all the blue beast's influence from my body.

My undead legions shall work tirelessly to empty the seas, bucket by bucket if we must. All the waters of the world shall be emptied into sealed containers far beneath the earth, incinerated upon rivers of magma attended by workers who fear no blistering vapours.

I will wring every last drop of moisture from this world.

Then, and only then, shall I have truly defeated the One True Enemy of dwarfkind.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 08:40:34 pm »

23a had it good with flooding, Do hope he changes how liquids work because in their current form its never going to allow flooding for rivers without crushing fps.
Pages: [1] 2