Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help a noob edit raws  (Read 616 times)

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help a noob edit raws
« on: December 24, 2015, 10:36:49 am »

Hello,

I'm just trying to make it so animal people cannot speak.  In my imagination, they are savage/primitive creatures somewhere between a wild animal and a cave man.

I can find their info in the raws, of course -- but I'm trying to understand how the [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON] works.

I can open "c_variation_default.txt", see animal people, and the argument
"[CV_NEW_TAG:CAN_SPEAK]"

Can I just remove this line, or do I have to do something else?

Sorry for the basic nature of my question, and thanks for the help!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Help a noob edit raws
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 04:14:18 pm »

Hello,

I'm just trying to make it so animal people cannot speak.  In my imagination, they are savage/primitive creatures somewhere between a wild animal and a cave man.

I can find their info in the raws, of course -- but I'm trying to understand how the [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON] works.

I can open "c_variation_default.txt", see animal people, and the argument
"[CV_NEW_TAG:CAN_SPEAK]"

Can I just remove this line, or do I have to do something else?

Sorry for the basic nature of my question, and thanks for the help!
I think they also have INTELLIGENT, so no, removing CAN_SPEAK would not work. (INTELLIGENT implies CAN_SPEAK). Instead, you may want to add the following instead to where the rest of the CV_NEW_TAG stuff is: [CV_NEW_TAG:UTTERANCES]. UTTERANCES makes the creature speak in gibberish, like kobolds, and prevents them from having any friendly contact with any entities that is not their own.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 06:29:07 pm »

However [UTTERANCES] doesn't actually conflict with [CAN_SPEAK]. It instead allows them to speak, but makes their names gibberish, and makes diplomacy impossible. Just remove that [CV_NEW_TAG:CAN_SPEAK]. They don't actually have [INTELLIGENT].
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 07:07:46 pm »

However [UTTERANCES] doesn't actually conflict with [CAN_SPEAK]. It instead allows them to speak, but makes their names gibberish, and makes diplomacy impossible. Just remove that [CV_NEW_TAG:CAN_SPEAK]. They don't actually have [INTELLIGENT].
Huh. I swore they actually had INTELLIGENT. In this case, yeah, removing CAN_SPEAK will do the trick.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?