TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Ring
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2015, 02:09:45 pm »

How much of a break do we have, anyway?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2015, 03:03:44 pm »

You only have today before the next week of lectures starts, so you decide to make the most of it.  You look around for your keys (which ends up taking five minutes, only to find them behind the sofa cushions) and head out the door, descending the creaking old stairwell to the ground floor.

Traffic is light, being a Sunday, but you don't need to take the bus today.  You walk through the wide roads leading into Newton, basking in the late morning sun.  The bombings during the Great War left a lot of free space for construction, so wide roads such as these are common throughout the city.  Along this one are rows of what you recognise as cherry trees, although it is too late for any fruits on them.  You make a note to pick some in summer, and enjoy the blossoms come spring.

You pass terraced housing dating back to the Industrial Age, an ancient kirkyard with lots of crumbling old headstones (you still have to visit that!) and enter into the new, larger buildings with logos representing various financial companies.  It takes you twenty minutes to reach the museum by foot, and you see Shell waving at you from a seat under the umbrella shades outside an Argentaine cafe.  You settle down next to her and grin.

Shell looks different from when you knew her as a child, but much like her current photograph.  She is wearing a bright yellow patterned headscarf, a blue cotton shirt tied at the waist, a polka-dotted red skirt and big yellow sunglasses that match the strands of bright blonde hair that peek out of the end of the scarf.

"Hey there, honey!" says Shell.  "What's it like being Milton Stones?"

You laugh.  "No delving into ancient tombs and shooting Fascists, I'm afraid.  Just lots of reading.  You?"

"Same old, same old.  Got promoted to 'fashion assistant', which is basically the same job with a fancier title and a new dress.  But seriously, how are you settling in, honey?"
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2015, 03:17:31 pm »

Ooh, an Iituem game. PTW!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2015, 03:18:36 pm »

Good, but soooo much required reading...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2015, 06:06:57 pm »

(Hehe, I love how you took real titles. You forgot to change English for emerald in one of those though :p )

"Well, it's great to finally be able to get into archeology. Without that grant, I could never have gone to the university. But I'm afraid I have been quite the recluse since I moved to Newton... It's great to get out and meet someone to be honest."

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2015, 07:08:23 pm »

Compliment Shell's appearance.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2015, 09:14:04 pm »

Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2015, 09:30:08 am »

"Honestly, it's great to finally start on archaeology," you say, "although the reading is killing me.  It's great to finally get some space, although I have to keep up on my studies if I want to keep my scholarship."

"I imagine you've got lots of new friends," says Shell.

"Hah!  I barely have time to talk to anyone, you're the first person I've had a decent conversation with since I started last week.  Incidentally, I love the outfit."

"Thank you!  It's a pain to keep things fresh sometime.  Hey, maybe I could lend you one of my dresses?"

"Not really a dress girl, but I'll try if on if you like..."

You settle into an easy rhythm of conversation.  Talking with Shell has always been natural, and though the big city has given her a few strange ideas and habits over the years, it's good to be with your friend again.

The cafe is nice as well, very traditional Argentaine with glass tables and wicker chairs.  The clientèle are decidedly hipster coffee types, mind; you spot three students in polo necks and woollen jumpers drinking fancy lattes; an older woman more elaborately dressed than Shell with a china cup of tea; a grey-bearded man in a black coat and fedora; and a handsome, unshaven type with a ridiculous open shirt.

Shell treats you to tea; it's nice to have money, which Shell has in spades.  Even better to have friends who don't mention your own poverty.  After a leisurely chat in the cafe (Shell leaves a five pound tip), the pair of you head to the museum, a vast old stone building with a pair of fairytale towers at the front and a huge arched doorway distinctly reminiscent of cathedrals.  You have an annual membership pass, arranged for you by your mother as an 18th birthday gift, so entry is free for you, although Shell has to buy a day ticket.

The pair of you wander through the oriental exhibits near the entrance, marvelling at the interior of the museum, the central chamber of which is a vast arched hallway, with definite cathedral-esque design influences and broad clear glass windows that let in copious amounts of light.  You chat cheerfully, taking a few pictures where photography is permitted (no flash, but the light is good), until Shell notices something.

"Ooh!  There's an exhibition on Arthagan textiles, that looks fun."

"Not really my thing, Shell.  Why don't you go take a look, we'll meet back up here after?"

"Oh sure, you going to be okay?"

"Not a problem, there's a medieval exhibit I want to take a look at."

"Alright, honey, see you in half an hour."

You exchange kisses and part ways, yourself tracking off in search of the medieval exhibition.  You find it soon enough and take some time to study the various artefacts that have been dug up, cleaned and in some cases restored.  In pride of place is an exhibit of seven items in a glass display case, which is currently being studied by an old man in a black coat and fedora.  You settle in beside him and, seeing the photograph sign on the label, take a photograph.

Laid in place are a bronze representation of a tooth, a silver cup, a long-rusted iron sword with scabbard, an empty brass tube, some sort of long-rusted iron circle or disc, a perfect rectangle of gold (bar a circular imprint in the centre) and a silver statue of an oak tree (sans leaves).  There is a plaque next to the objects.

Each of these objects were found across the Emerald Isles in separate sites across Wessen, Caladon and Emerald, typically in burial mounds.  Although buried or lost over a period of three centuries, each of them bears the circular maker's mark of a smith in the court of King Aed I, believed to be the legendary 'Brann the Smith'.  Some of the items may be forgeries by later craftsmen, perhaps intended to ape the achievements of the semi-mythical metalworker, but for whatever reason these items were deemed important enough to be preserved and honoured.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2015, 10:09:34 am »

Brann the Smith? I think he was mentioned as a future topic for one of our seminars. Let's see if there are any other mentions of him in this section.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2015, 11:10:40 am »

Brann the Smith? I think he was mentioned as a future topic for one of our seminars. Let's see if there are any other mentions of him in this section.
+1
Max avatar size is 80x80

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2015, 01:12:54 pm »

+1
+1
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2015, 01:14:41 pm »

+1
+1
+1
Sigtext

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2015, 01:46:07 pm »

Brann the Smith?  That rings bells for you.  You study the case for a moment until you become uncomfortably aware that the man next to you is looking at your tits, hidden as they may be under your t-shirt.  Pervert.  You move away from the stand and take a look at the other cases until you find what you are looking for; a large glass case full of shelves of miscellaneous objects, mostly in silver or copper.

The label reads: Collection of Brann-works.  These items date from the high medieval period to the later renaissance, each stamped with the circular mark of Brann the Smith.  Whilst there is archaeological evidence to suggest that there may have been an original head smith at the court of Aed I (who may or may not have been called Brann), even the works that may arguably be attested to him stretch over a period of fifty years, suggesting apprentices or perhaps a whole school of metalworkers who employed the maker's mark of Brann's circle.  Periodically, revivals will occur of metalsmiths either attempting to pass their work off as relics of the legendary master, or who deliberately mark their work as a tribute to the legend.  Works such as these therefore appear every century from one workshop or another, typically somewhere in the Isles, and can often indicate centres of metalworking in a region.

Of course!  You remember reading about Brann in an old story book your mother gave you; Tales of the Isles.  A huge man with a big red beard and a laugh that pealed like thunder, who made magic swords for the first King of Emerald.  The thought makes you smile, and you subconsciously raise a hand to your necklace.  You get a slight pang of homesickness, but brush it away.  You can always call home, and you spoke to your parents a couple of days ago anyway.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2015, 03:54:38 pm »

Keep exploring the museum exhibits.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2015, 04:34:06 pm »

Have we ever asked our parents about the story of the necklace - is it perhaps a family heirloom? The thought of it being one of Brann's mythical treasures is maybe a silly one, but a girl can dream.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5