Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we do for the language_words (We can use custom symbols)?

Keep the vanilla ones
Use an expanded vocabularly
Start entirely from scratch
Cull the words that don't make sense from vanilla, then add words as we go
Other(post it in the comments)

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 42

Author Topic: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession  (Read 65651 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession
« Reply #495 on: January 25, 2016, 09:58:14 pm »

Thoughts on poisons and potions:

Easiest way for poisons would be to insert it into a container,  and let players get the contents out by themselves. A minecart-esque container tool, say a cauldron-on-wheels would work best, since the contents can be spilled by parking it on a track stop, instead of finicking about with dumping and stockpiles.

Alternatively, for the more temperature sensitive option, a glob that is stable at normal temperatures, but melts or boils at near-magma tiles would be very ideal for poison delivery. It would require engineering with magma, but its there for the expert player to use.

Lastly, you could have a 1tile workshop where you put all your weapons in the workshop, use a spawn poison reaction, and dismantle the workshop. The poison will coat the floor, and the weapons will be on that tile. If you don't want to coat weapons, this can still be used to selectively place poison tiles.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 25, 2016, 10:02:42 pm »

The way poison alchemy was attempted in DFFS originally was basically like a siege engine. A workshop producing long burning clouds thats then abandoned in the entrance-way.
We could do the SPEC_HEAT in a container solution, and have those containers in stockpiles and have it just spew clouds for awhile?

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 26, 2016, 12:49:51 am »

So I managed to achieve metallic trees. It's probably really simple compared to other stuff, but hey. I'm proud of myself :P

Anyway, I'll put up the code tomorrow. First, sleep, school, small amounts of balancing, and maybe some leaves, and we'll have rare, metalic trees!
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 26, 2016, 02:56:55 am »

This doesnt change the mechanics of anything, but if you're going the traditional boiling syndrome route, it'd sound better if you phrased it as a 'magical ritual' or something. Therefore, when the boiling syndrome inevitably fails to kick in, you could attribute it to a failed casting. Sounds better than 'oh, that potion just happened to not work -- maybe try another sip?'. It would also make more sense when the syndrome infects everyone around the ritual caster.

New creature:
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:NIGHTMARE_BSK]
[NAME:nightmare:nightmares:nightmare]
[DESCRIPTION:An equine terror that roams the dark places of the world. Now you shall know why you fear the night. (Size ~200000)]
[CREATURE_TILE:165]
[COLOR:0:0:1]
[PREFSTRING:sense of immersion]
[CREATURE_CLASS:WORLDLY]
[CREATURE_CLASS:MAGIC_RESIST]

[LARGE_ROAMING][LARGE_PREDATOR]
[BIOME:ANY_FOREST]
[BIOME:ANY_SHRUBLAND]
[BIOME:ANY_SAVANNA]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:40:80]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:3:8]
[FREQUENCY:100]

[ADOPTS_OWNER]
[EVIL][MOUNT][PACK_ANIMAL][PET]
[PETVALUE:-20]

[NOCTURNAL]
[BONECARN]
[NOT_LIVING]
[NIGHT_CREATURE_BOGEYMAN]

[NO_SLEEP]
[NOPAIN]
[NOEXERT]
[NOFEAR]
[NOEMOTION]

[BODY:BASIC_BODY_URD:BASIC_HEAD_URD:BASIC_FACE_URD:BASIC_QUADRUPED_LIMBS_URD:TAIL_BSK]
[BODYGLOSS:PAW_URD]
[BODYGLOSS:HOCK_URD]
[BODYGLOSS:ABDOMEN_RUMP_BSK]

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BASIC_MATERIALS_URD]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:CARTILAGE]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:KERATIN]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:KERATIN_SCALE]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:SCALE]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:CHITIN]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:BLOOD]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BASIC_TISSUES_URD]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:CARTILAGE]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:KERATIN]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:KERATIN_SCALE]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:SCALE]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:CHITIN]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HAIR_URD]

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DUST:DIRT_TEMPLATE_BSK]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL:dust]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:BLACK]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:1:0:1]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:10500]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10600]
[TISSUE:DUST]
[TISSUE_NAME:dust:dust]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:DUST]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:5]
[HEALING_RATE:1]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[SCARS]
[CONNECTS]
[MUSCULAR]
[STRUCTURAL]
[INSULATION:100]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_MAT_STATE:SOLID_POWDER]
[TISSUE_LEAKS]

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:COMPLETE_INSECT_LAYERS_BSK:SKIN:MUSCLE:DUST:BONE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:NECK:HAIR:TOP]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL:HAIR]

[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:50:70:90:100:110:130:150]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:75:85:95:100:105:115:125]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:75:85:95:100:105:115:125]

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:15000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:80000]
[BODY_SIZE:3:0:200000]
[MAXAGE:30:50]
[SMELL_TRIGGER:1000]
[LOW_LIGHT_VISION:10000]
[ODOR_LEVEL:80]
[ODOR_STRING:fear]

[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:DUST:GAS]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:DUST:GAS]

[ATTACK:BITE:CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH]
[ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
[ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:50]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[ATTACK:SMASH:BODYPART:BY_TYPE:UPPERBODY]
[ATTACK_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:smash against:smashes against]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:4:4]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FEAR_NIGHTMARE_BSK]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:strike fear]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
[CDI:TARGET:A:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:A:20]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:A:20]

[CANNOT_CLIMB]
[SWIMS_INNATE]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_QUADRUPED_GAITS:900:405:270:135:1900:2900] 65kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_SWIMMING_GAITS:3512:2634:1756:878:4900:6900] 10kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CRAWLING_GAITS:900:691:482:251:1900:2900] 35kph

[CHILD:5]
[GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:nightfoal:nightfoals]
[CHILDNAME:nightfoal:nightfoals]

[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[CASTE_NAME:nightcolt:nightcolts:nightcolt]
[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[CASTE_NAME:nightmare:nightmares:nightmare]

Code: [Select]
[INTERACTION:FEAR_NIGHTMARE_BSK]
[I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_CANNOT_TARGET_IF_ALREADY_AFFECTED]
[IT_MANUAL_INPUT:prey]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:nightmares]
[CE_FEEL_EMOTION:EMOTION:FEAR:SEV:60:START:0:END:7200] 1 week
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:55:27 am by Bearskie »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 26, 2016, 03:48:49 am »

That does make sense. Certainly all the testing I've heard of this version suggests it's very hard to do.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 26, 2016, 05:37:30 am »

He admires nightmares for their The Who.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 26, 2016, 05:44:11 am »

....Dang, I thought it'd be 'he enjoys nightmares for The Who'. Scrapping that joke. :3

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 26, 2016, 09:09:26 am »

Easiest way for poisons would be to insert it into a container,  and let players get the contents out by themselves. A minecart-esque container tool, say a cauldron-on-wheels would work best, since the contents can be spilled by parking it on a track stop, instead of finicking about with dumping and stockpiles.

Alternatively, for the more temperature sensitive option, a glob that is stable at normal temperatures, but melts or boils at near-magma tiles would be very ideal for poison delivery. It would require engineering with magma, but its there for the expert player to use.

Lastly, you could have a 1tile workshop where you put all your weapons in the workshop, use a spawn poison reaction, and dismantle the workshop. The poison will coat the floor, and the weapons will be on that tile. If you don't want to coat weapons, this can still be used to selectively place poison tiles.

What if we made a modified siege engine which launches easily-broken vials full of our poisons? I have no idea if this will work but its something to consider.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 26, 2016, 09:59:51 am »

What if we made a modified siege engine which launches easily-broken vials full of our poisons? I have no idea if this will work but its something to consider.

That can't be done unfortunately.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 26, 2016, 10:14:40 am »

^ True, but some thoughts on the idea. A boulder that is stable at underground temperatures, but explodes into a cloud of gas in outdoor temperatures. You could theoretically launch such boulders using a catapult, and have them explode in your invader's faces.

I say theoretically, because I'm not entirely sure how rigorous the temperature calculations are. The boulder may just passively sit outdoors and refuse to boil until the turn of the season, or only until a unit walks over it.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 26, 2016, 10:26:14 am »

^ True, but some thoughts on the idea. A boulder that is stable at underground temperatures, but explodes into a cloud of gas in outdoor temperatures. You could theoretically launch such boulders using a catapult, and have them explode in your invader's faces.

I say theoretically, because I'm not entirely sure how rigorous the temperature calculations are. The boulder may just passively sit outdoors and refuse to boil until the turn of the season, or only until a unit walks over it.

When syndromes first came out, someone did some science with all sorts of things involving it. I might look for it again because I remember a possible solution.

"Combining these ideas is it possible to drop a [SYN_CONTACT] blooded creature from a execution tower into a siege to cause explosive toxic havoc? [confirmed]"

Make using the potion cause the somewhat hoop jumping series of events that can create a new creature. Have that creature be immobile and called "venom potion vial" or something, and set it to drop on invaders? Maybe? Dunno.

Edit: Also, we can still call it alchemy because sometimes a potion just fails. They aren't exactly warrantied by some big potion corporation.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:32:54 am by Urdothor »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 26, 2016, 10:37:14 am »

Easier would probably be to have a creature with gaseous or liquid secretions. No need to throw them off towers to get gas.

Still rather hoop-la though. Not the best way for poisons to work.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 26, 2016, 10:46:53 am »

Easier would probably be to have a creature with gaseous or liquid secretions. No need to throw them off towers to get gas.

Still rather hoop-la though. Not the best way for poisons to work.
Yea, its all a bit much.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 26, 2016, 01:49:32 pm »

Elves might have to go on the backburner. Faking advanced tech in DF is hard.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 26, 2016, 03:56:56 pm »

Right, update. Things are getting a little behind schedule, with deserts, conifer forests, and extreme biomes (mountains, taiga/tundra) still needing attention before I can start the crop arc. I hope to get at least one of those categories done per day, which would leave me with Friday and Saturday to do crops and magic stuff if I don't get ahead or behind. Not as much as I'd hoped to get done, but it's something. If I have to leave something off, it'll be the magic. I don't want to end my turn with an incomplete system in place and that still needs some science.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 42