Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we do for the language_words (We can use custom symbols)?

Keep the vanilla ones
Use an expanded vocabularly
Start entirely from scratch
Cull the words that don't make sense from vanilla, then add words as we go
Other(post it in the comments)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42

Author Topic: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession  (Read 65621 times)

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession
« Reply #330 on: January 22, 2016, 12:15:01 pm »

You could also make it depend on creature class, with those and their transformed versions being the only members of the group. That way you don't have to worry about your animal caretaker turning into a goat.

And it warms my heart to see vermillion trees poking through like islands on the sea of pink. I'm really liking that color scheme too.

That was the way I was going to do it. Creature classes made sense to me.

Also the raws you sent in for the vermillion trees didn't really have any colors specified beyond default, if I recall. Or, not specified in a way that appeared anyway. So I believe colors got added in at some point

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 12:16:59 pm by Urdothor »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 22, 2016, 01:24:07 pm »

New color scheme was definitely a good choice.

I've given up on giant scraws having metal bones, and am saving that for a later date, so I guess scraws are ready? I did put regular tissues in the last time I posted them right?

If there's nothing more to add, I might start work on my extraplanar 'elf' entity. These are not the elves you were looking for.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 22, 2016, 01:35:19 pm »

If there's nothing more to add, I might start work on my extraplanar 'elf' entity. These are not the elves you were looking for.

My extradimensional creatures are going to be more crystalline than anything, if you want to keep things consistent. If you'll give me a bit I'll post a gem template.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 22, 2016, 01:53:14 pm »

My extradimensional creatures are going to be more crystalline than anything, if you want to keep things consistent. If you'll give me a bit I'll post a gem template.
Oooh, nice.
Crystal bug tech elves from another dimension!

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 22, 2016, 02:38:07 pm »

Finally officially began my turn, now that I have implemented Bearskie's changes.

Though I'll have to look out for this one:
Fixed tissue layering in screatures - Inserted the relevant ARGS that the body detail plan calls for

Since inspiration is not coming, I'll decode then rewrite some menu stuffs.
Then I might finally develop the Modder's resource. Because boy, is it lackluster.

Regarding body temperatures: How about we meet between the middle of -56 °C and 0 °C? Like, freezing at -20 °C (9,964 Ů) or so? That seems like it's not stupidly high yet you will also require insulating clothes to walk about in colder biomes.

And if that does not work out, we'll decrease it further, like to -30 °C.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 22, 2016, 02:42:05 pm »

Finally officially began my turn, now that I have implemented Bearskie's changes.

Though I'll have to look out for this one:
Fixed tissue layering in screatures - Inserted the relevant ARGS that the body detail plan calls for

Since inspiration is not coming, I'll decode then rewrite some menu stuffs.
Then I might finally develop the Modder's resource. Because boy, is it lackluster.

Regarding body temperatures: How about we meet between the middle of -56 °C and 0 °C? Like, freezing at -20 °C (9,964 Ů) or so? That seems like it's not stupidly high yet you will also require insulating clothes to walk about in colder biomes.

And if that does not work out, we'll decrease it further, like to -30 °C.

That sounds good.

Also... A lot of my inspiration comes from Magic: The Gathering cards, oddly enough. They've had some bizarre creatures and things.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 22, 2016, 03:51:41 pm »

Since I have started the in-game help file, I'd like you all to write together medium amounts of info for every creature, every material, every EVERYTHING you have already put in the game.

Entity, creature, plant, material, inorganic, syndrome, EVERYTHING.

By medium amounts, I mean not 10 pages of dissertations of stuff like a wiki would do, nor 6 words as the in-game descriptions would do, but somewhere in-between. However, there is no character limit, and encoding takes miliseconds, no matter the amount of text, so you are free to go absolutely fucking bonkers.

EDIT: IMPORTANT! I'm redoing the Modder's Resource spreadsheet, don't do anything to it you don't want lost.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 04:02:54 pm by Cerapter »
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 22, 2016, 03:52:55 pm »

Since I have started the in-game help file, I'd like you all to write together medium amounts of info for every creature, every material, every EVERYTHING you have already put in the game.

By medium amounts, I mean not 10 pages of dissertations of stuff like a wiki would do, nor 6 words as the in-game descriptions would do, but somewhere in-between. However, there is no character limit, and encoding takes miliseconds, no matter the amount of text, so you are free to go absolutely fucking bonkers.

I can do that. Templates too?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 22, 2016, 04:27:32 pm »

Screature:
Mid-sized lizardoids, these four-eyed creatures have only two legs, which they haul themselves along the ground with, attatched to a slender body with a long, heavy tail.
They can be found almost anywhere above freezing, and are much admired for their intense love of alcohol.
They are tameable.

Scraw:
Scraws are a family of four-eyed lizardoids. They come in three flavours - Normal, Fire, and Collossal. They are all active in the evening and morning.

Normal scraws look like giant monitor lizards, standing chest high on a (mythical) human on four, hippo-like legs. They have sharp teeth, and a long tail. They are found anywhere warmer than the tundra.

Flame scraws are like regular scraws, except that they have the Fire sphere, are found only in deserts, and are immune to fire. They live much longer, and the females can breathe fire. They can be liked by sentients for their firey breath.

Collossal scraws are Fanciful beasts, standing several meters high at the shoulder. Their thick, tree-trunk legs are ringed with sharp claws, and they live to be a thousand years old.
They are semimegabeasts, and there is a modifier of 1,000 on their products. They breed far more slowly than normal scraws, which their young resemble.
Be careful when raising scraws that you don't mistake the collossal for the regular - collossal scraw's young are named and look the same as a regular scraw, except that they rapidly outgrow their foster "parents".
They can be liked by sentients for their intimidating bulk.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 22, 2016, 04:30:54 pm »

EDIT: IMPORTANT! I'm redoing the Modder's Resource spreadsheet, don't do anything to it you don't want lost.

I've only contributed plants so far, so not much to say about these.

Vermillion Tree
Short, broad trees named for their brilliant red wood. They grow fairly quickly, and tolerate most climates and soil types.

Salmon Cane
A fleshy, reedlike aboveground plant found in great number near bodies of water. They can be brewed, and eaten raw or cooked, but cannot be farmed. A good early food source, but somewhat unreliable, especially for larger settlements.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 22, 2016, 04:36:23 pm »

I can do that. Templates too?
I assume you mean the material templates, if yes, sure. If no, still sure.

Also, your normal leather material template has no tensile strain at yield value.

EDIT: You can link in help files, so if you guys wanna  refer to something else, do it. Also, you can recolour stuff, but only using the base 14 colours.

As an example, here's how the main help file looks like:
Code: [Select]
[TITLE]Dwarf Fortress: The Manual[/TITLE]
You can press [IKEY:HELP] any time for help.  Press it now for help on how to use this text viewer.  As of January 2016, you can also find help at the DF Wiki at dwarffortresswiki.org.  And remember:
[C:2:0:1]Losing is fun![C:7:0:0]
[B]
[LINK:data/help/intro]Introduction[/LINK]
[LINK:data/help/new_region]Creating Your World[/LINK]
[LINK:data/help/setup_game]Preparing For The Journey[/LINK]
[LINK:data/help/outpost]Your First Outpost[/LINK]
[LINK:data/help/menus]The Many Menus[/LINK]
[LINK:data/help/icons]Icons[/LINK]
[LINK:data/help/tables]Tables[/LINK]
[B]
[LINK:data/help/a_main]The Adventurer's Manual[/LINK]
[B]
[LINK:data/help/technical]Technical[/LINK]

And that results in:
Dwarf Fortress: The Manual
You can press ? anytime for help. [...] And remember: losing is fun!

Introduction
Creating your world
[...]

Little explanation:
  • [TITLE] means that line will always appear on the top.
  • [C:0:0:0] recolours the text following it.
  • [IKEY:HELP] just asks for a key. You guy's don't need this at all.
  • [ B ] is newline with a line left out.
  • [R] is just a simple newline (not demostrated).
  • [LINK:X] makes a link to a file.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 04:44:02 pm by Cerapter »

Lord_Silverkey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 22, 2016, 05:25:34 pm »

So I started working on a fish, then found that since I haven't modded DF in a few years (.3x series) I was a little lost.

I decided to start with some metals instead, since I remember them having less of a learning curve.

This is what I've got so far:

Code: [Select]
inorganic_metal_sky

[OBJECT:INORGANIC]

I made metals by simply averaging together stat numbers from vanilla metals then rounding them to the nearest 1, so they should be relativly functional and balanced. Assuming that this mod has stats similar to vanilla.

Thudol is a tin, lead, and iron hybrid.

It's not wonderful to work with, and if I understand the tags right, you should be able to make weapons and ammo, but not ranged weapons, armour, or anvils.

[INORGANIC:THUDOL]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE_URD]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:thudol]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten thudol]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling thudol]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1] same as vanilla iron and lead.
[BUILD_COLOR:0:7:1] same as vanilla iron and lead.
[MATERIAL_VALUE:5]
[SPEC_HEAT:260]
[MELTING_POINT:11258]
[BOILING_POINT:14327]
[SOLID_DENSITY:8823]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:8210]
[MOLAR_MASS:127251]
[IMPACT_YIELD:206500]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:492333]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:601]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:206500]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:492333]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:601]
[TENSILE_YIELD:59000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:140666]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:53]
[TORSION_YIELD:59000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:140666]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:145]
[SHEAR_YIELD:59000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:140666]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:145]
[BENDING_YIELD:59000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:140666]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:53]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]
[ITEMS_WEAPON][ITEMS_AMMO]
[ITEMS_HARD]
[ITEMS_METAL]
[ITEMS_BARRED]
[ITEMS_SCALED]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:TAUPE_GRAY]

Ikonium is a silver, steel, and black bronze hybrid.

This one is fairly valuable, and can be made into anything. Not nearly as effective as vanilla steel for most things though.

[INORGANIC:IKONIUM]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:ikonium]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten ikonium]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling ikonium]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:7:7:1] used silver
[BUILD_COLOR:7:7:1] used silver
[MATERIAL_VALUE:17]
[SPEC_HEAT:372]
[MELTING_POINT:12134]
[BOILING_POINT:14490]
[SOLID_DENSITY:9090]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:8107]
[MOLAR_MASS:75753]
[IMPACT_YIELD:700000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:1295000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:488]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:700000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:1295000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:488]
[TENSILE_YIELD:200000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:370000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:173]
[TORSION_YIELD:200000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:370000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:202]
[SHEAR_YIELD:200000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:370000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:231]
[BENDING_YIELD:200000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:370000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:131]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]
[ITEMS_WEAPON][ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED][ITEMS_AMMO][ITEMS_DIGGER][ITEMS_ARMOR][ITEMS_ANVIL]
[ITEMS_HARD]
[ITEMS_METAL]
[ITEMS_BARRED]
[ITEMS_SCALED]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:SILVER]

Rhysuium is an adamantine, gold, and platinum hybrid.

It's generally really good and really valuable, but not nearly as good or valuable as vanilla adamantine. Most noticeably it's much more dense and has much less of a maximum cutting edge. I took off the "deep special" tag, because I intend to make it a rare ore sort of like aluminium and I figure we don't need the circus to have !fun!. At least until we come up with a circus of our own. I left the "wafers" and "stockpile thread metal" tags in, but have no idea what they do so that might be a problem. I also removed the "items soft" tag.

[INORGANIC:RHYSIUM]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:rhysium]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten rhysium]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling rhysium]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:6:6:1] same as brass
[BUILD_COLOR:6:6:1] same as brass
[MATERIAL_VALUE:123]
[SPEC_HEAT:2586]
[MELTING_POINT:16699]
[BOILING_POINT:27342]
[SOLID_DENSITY:13640]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:13227]
[MOLAR_MASS:149299]
[IMPACT_YIELD:1841667]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:2016667]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:83]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:1841667]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:2016667]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:83]
[TENSILE_YIELD:1716667]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:1766667]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:41]
[TORSION_YIELD:1716667]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:1766667]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:116]
[SHEAR_YIELD:1716667]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:1766667]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:116]
[BENDING_YIELD:1716667]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:1766667]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:41]
[MAX_EDGE:40000]
[ITEMS_WEAPON][ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED][ITEMS_AMMO][ITEMS_DIGGER][ITEMS_ARMOR][ITEMS_ANVIL]
[ITEMS_HARD]
[ITEMS_METAL]
[ITEMS_BARRED]
[ITEMS_SCALED]
[WAFERS]
[STOCKPILE_THREAD_METAL]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:BRASS]

This is a mod component attempt. All Modmanship is of the most average quality. it is encrusted with numbers. This mod component is adorned with tags and vague descriptions. On the mod component there is a description of Ikonium. It is surrounded by the descriptions of Thudol and Rhysium. The Ikonium is making a plaintive gesture.

On this post there is a description of Lord_Silverkey. Lord_Silverkey is labouring. This writing relates to the creation of the mod component by Lord_Silverkey in the early spring of 2016.

-----

It's very much based off of the vanilla metals so far. It uses Urdothor's metal templates since I saw no reason to make another that does basically the same thing. I can make a new metal template if that's a problem.

I also haven't made any new ores for the metals, but they work fine in the object testing arena.

I'm not familiar with how new colour palettes work, so they use vanilla colour numbers. The effect is... interesting.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 22, 2016, 05:33:32 pm »

If it doesn't have a tensile strain at yield, then neither does my firesafe leather then.

My material templates are pretty standard. They're stronger than the vanilla, but otherwise they're what you expect. Currently we have Skin, Fat, Muscle, Tendon, Cartilage, Organ Tissue, Nervous Tissue, Keratin, Scale, Bone, Hair, Feathers, Blood, and Flame tissues.
We have a few materials that vanilla lacks. Keratin Scales are meant to be the outer layer on armored mammals. It isn't as strong as scale is, but I believe is the third strongest organic material outside of plants.

We have 3 tiers of leather, with a special fourth type in the first tier.
Normal Leather is the basic leather, and is stronger than vanilla leather. Use it for most things that can produce leather.
Within this tier is firesafe leather, which is as strong as normal leather is, but is fire safe.
Next is toughened leather. Its midway between bone and leather, with a slight preference towards bone. This is the highest tier and apex predator, extremely tough benign animal, or semi-megabeast should be capable of producing, barring a few exceptions.
Finally is hardened leather. This is just below bone, and is quite stiff in relation to leather. Only mega-beasts and demons should naturally produce this. It may be produce-able in the future through processing of toughened leather, but is otherwise limited.

The phoenix isn't done at the very moment, but the following is what it will be:
At birth the phoenix is just larger than a cat. At 100 years old it reaches the size of a deer. At 1500 years it is just smaller than a full grown moose. The phoenix periodically showers those around it with feelings of euphoria, as well as ever increasing numbness, which eventually will lead to nerve damage to those who spend to much time exposed to them. The phoenix is benign, and will not attack without provocation. It is however, always on fire, and periodically will burst into flames. Yearly, the phoenix turns to ashes and is reborn. During this period of rebirth she may grant someone around her with immortality, with a chance of turning it against mortals(OPPOSED_TO_LIFE). The phoenixes feathers have use in alchemy and other magics, though a phoenix will only shed her feathers when nesting.

We should have gem, soil and alcohol templates through the pipeline soon, so Cerapter, be on the the look out!

It's very much based off of the vanilla metals so far. It uses Urdothor's metal templates since I saw no reason to make another that does basically the same thing. I can make a new metal template if that's a problem.

I also haven't made any new ores for the metals, but they work fine in the object testing arena.

I'm not familiar with how new colour palettes work, so they use vanilla colour numbers. The effect is... interesting.

Please do use any templates you find. This is a collaborative effort. Those templates are there specifically to be used by you all.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 22, 2016, 05:36:54 pm »

Ay there Lord_Silverkey! Welcome!

I'll be honest, I've always found material stuff to be harder to mod than creatures (or literally anything), but whatever you say. Mind that we have played around with the numbers of vanilla, resulting in most of the things being stronger but also dishing out more damage.

So you might have to adjust your values. But then again, I haven't tested it yet, so it might be just fine.

The new colours are "technically" not new. We just replaced the original ones, so a number that originally pointed, say, the deep-piss brown of vanilla now points to our brown brown.

EDIT: I'll be implementing any fixes or new stuff as they come, Urdothor.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:39:08 pm by Cerapter »

Lord_Silverkey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 22, 2016, 06:04:32 pm »

Please do use any templates you find. This is a collaborative effort. Those templates are there specifically to be used by you all.
Thanks for the info.
Ay there Lord_Silverkey! Welcome!

I'll be honest, I've always found material stuff to be harder to mod than creatures (or literally anything), but whatever you say. Mind that we have played around with the numbers of vanilla, resulting in most of the things being stronger but also dishing out more damage.

So you might have to adjust your values. But then again, I haven't tested it yet, so it might be just fine.
Well I've always been annoyed at trying to put together creatures from a variety of different templates and making them actually fit together properly, stacking skin, fat, etc.

When making the metals themselves, all you really have to mess with is the stat numbers, which is pretty easy for me if I closely reference existing metals, then play-test them a bunch. But maybe I'm just weird.

*shrugs*

The new colours are "technically" not new. We just replaced the original ones, so a number that originally pointed, say, the deep-piss brown of vanilla now points to our brown brown.
Good to know. I probably won't mess with them much anyways.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42