Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we do for the language_words (We can use custom symbols)?

Keep the vanilla ones
Use an expanded vocabularly
Start entirely from scratch
Cull the words that don't make sense from vanilla, then add words as we go
Other(post it in the comments)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42

Author Topic: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession  (Read 65702 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2016, 11:45:02 pm »

The name thing was becausse I wasn't sure if I could change the Wiki name. If we can't, I'll just make a new one. The reason I said guides on the wiki was because most players don't really seem pay attention to the actual files, although there are some who would be curious. I can try to set up github, although there will be hickups at first, and I won't have any actual information until we've established the templates, but until then I can work on controling the files :P

Edit: Alright, I've begun work on the wiki. I will post a link once the front page is done, and then possibly begin work on adding other pages, depending on how late it is.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:56:10 pm by chaotic skies »
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 02, 2016, 11:50:16 pm »

The name thing was becausse I wasn't sure if I could change the Wiki name. If we can't, I'll just make a new one. The reason I said guides on the wiki was because most players don't really seem pay attention to the actual files, although there are some who would be curious. I can try to set up github, although there will be hickups at first, and I won't have any actual information until we've established the templates, but until then I can work on controling the files :P

Just call it DF from scratch the third, or something. I'll link to it, so, it's unlikely anyone finds an old one. I'm really hesitant about github. They've had a lot of problems with it in the past. The guy running the last version even recommended keeping the original format. If we could make an open source place for templates though, that would be nice, but at the same time, it's nice to have everything interact, and not seperate.

I'm really on the fence. If anyone can suggest a good way to do it, I'd be interested.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 03, 2016, 12:20:44 am »

Alright, the wiki's up, although very bare at the moment. Literally just the front page, but feel free to make an account and comment, that way I can give you admin access.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2016, 12:31:14 am »

Cerapter also knows how to edit the ingame help files, so we can make a play guide or something.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2016, 12:31:46 am »

Cerapter also knows how to edit the ingame help files, so we can make an play guide or something.

That's extremely helpful.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2016, 12:33:57 am »

Cerapter also knows how to edit the ingame help files, so we can make an play guide or something.

That's extremely helpful.

If I had a nickle for everytime I wished there was something like this, I'd be swimming in nickles.

hawkwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2016, 04:49:38 am »

I'd like to try my hand at a turn of modding.

I have a few ideas about the lore in the meanwhile (not yet sure what bits could be represented well in-game, though).

So far we're discussing both magic and invaders from another universe. This is on top of an entirely new setting. Three degrees of separation is a bit too chaotic, in my opinion. It makes it difficult to explain to people, and I think what we need to pull something coherent from this adventure in godhood is tighter focus. And on that note, I really love the story being told in the background of young gods crafting a universe.

I think I have a way to describe these separate things, magic, world crafting, and extra-dimensional invaders coherently.

You see in small applications, magic can be a force for order. It can allow those sensitive to it to shape the world around them. Some cave creatures and rocks may even use it passively, perhaps for bioluminessence. But in our godly haste, we overlooked it's cost. As our world grew more attuned to the forces of magic, it began to rend at the fabric of our creation, in places breaking down the very rules it was built upon.

These stains upon our grand tapestry are know as 'evil' to some, but they are simply the workings of chaos. The touch of the mad gods, who lurk in the shadows. We who build this world are gods of Order and Chaos. Only time will tell which side will claim this realm.

Story time finished, what do you all think? I'd call it the Realm of Order and Chaos. Perhaps when a suggestion is brought up, we could call it orderly or chaotic, and if it's orderly it becomes apart of the base realm, and if it's chaotic, it becomes a product of the blighted chaos biomes.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2016, 04:52:00 am »

That sounds semi-coherent enough for me. Of course, you need the approval of everyone else still, but I feel like we could go somewhere with this.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 03, 2016, 05:09:58 am »

-snippity snip-
One, your interest in a mod turn is noted.

Two, the background story of young gods was a bit inspired by the original, as everyone there considered themselves a bit of a god of the universe, lore wise, atleast, to start with.
That said, the idea of chaotic magic, versus orderly magic, seems already to be prevalent as we've had people with relatively mundane thoughts, and some madder ones. And Order/Chaos theme might really pull this together. I'm interested, at least, though I default any decisions to majority, as always.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2016, 05:46:36 am »

I'm working on a right-up of the lore so far right now. Basically just the creation of metal and stone, the actual stones and ores, plants, trees, the grasses, the two trees, and the crop. After this, I'm going to bed; it's 5 AM.

Also, I support the order and chaos thing, as I kind of assumed that's what we're going for anyway. But all mention of it lore-wise so far is just one or two sentences, so if we decide otherwise, that's no big deal.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2016, 05:57:21 am »

There's a few write ups from me and Bearskie during creation, if you want to quote those, or something.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2016, 06:02:22 am »

I've kind of incorporated them in. I'll give credit to you guys at the bottom of the lore page, and specify what you made so far, but most of the stuff in here is a way-too-tired-for-totally-coherent-thought version of me typing, so typos/plotholes, ect. are to be expected.

Also, I'm almost done, and I'm going to be off til about 3 or 4 PM today CST; I've got traveling to do!

Edit: Feel free to edit, correct this, delete it, whatever, it's up.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:07:53 am by chaotic skies »

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 03, 2016, 07:31:10 am »

Cerapter also knows how to edit the ingame help files, so we can make a play guide or something.
Oh, yeah, I did do that in the previous one. Kinda forgot about it.
In fact, I'd like to ask this right now:

Should we have some sort of Flora & Fauna Encyclopædia in the game? Like, y'know, when you press the ? button ingame, you see the help in-game, and there, we could have a new section for every creature and plant (and maybe materials, too). This, however, would require that you provide info about your creatures / plants / materials, but if we're doing a wiki, too, then that shouldn't be a problem. Essentially, the in-game help could provide a shorter wiki page, and some tips on how to fight the creature / use the plant / gather the material, or something like that.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2016, 07:45:32 am »

Yep. Definitely. Cover the more basic details first, before we try and write descriptions and all. So for plants: edible raw, edible cooked, etc, biome.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2016, 08:07:48 am »

I'm in agreement.

I'd forgotten how hard it is starting entirely from scratch. Sorry this is all taking so long. I'm considering finishing all my base work, ripping out whats incomplete, and just sending it to you Bearskie, and giving you my stuff once it's completed. *Sigh* It's a wee bit more than I bargained for.

Bearskie, you never gave me a seed template, but it's listed on your plants. Might I request it at this time?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42