Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we do for the language_words (We can use custom symbols)?

Keep the vanilla ones
Use an expanded vocabularly
Start entirely from scratch
Cull the words that don't make sense from vanilla, then add words as we go
Other(post it in the comments)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 42

Author Topic: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession  (Read 65720 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2015, 01:09:57 am »

No worries, I will recolor them later. Since modders will have to mod according to these colors, I think a poll will be necessary. Have to get majority consensus first.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2015, 01:13:49 am »

No worries, I will recolor them later. Since modders will have to mod according to these colors, I think a poll will be necessary. Have to get majority consensus first.
I will, I just can't seem to find how to add another question. I suppose I have to reset the poll. I feel bad about stopping the previous one here, because people keep voting on it, and the general majority is 'I don't care"

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2015, 03:33:09 am »

Would anyone like to contribute any suggestions for how ______ biome should 'look'? I'm running out of ideas on how to make a grassland unique. Remember that you can use multiple colors from the new set - it doesn't have to be a single color only.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2015, 03:40:54 am »

What ideas do you have so far, including what you've sent me?

Also, I assume we aren't doing all 50 biomes separately, as that would be madness, and are instead clumping them, correct?

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2015, 04:13:03 am »

Would anyone like to contribute any suggestions for how ______ biome should 'look'? I'm running out of ideas on how to make a grassland unique. Remember that you can use multiple colors from the new set - it doesn't have to be a single color only.
Well, assuming that we're going with the "extra-dimensional invasion" theme, how about alternating between the natural and the eldritch? So a freshwater tropical swamp would be full of natural colors, all ROYGBIVs and browns; while a saltwater one might be all black and white and blue with assorted reds and pinks, like a fantastical lunar, or infernal, landscape.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2015, 04:23:19 am »

Well, assuming that we're going with the "extra-dimensional invasion" theme, how about alternating between the natural and the eldritch? So a freshwater tropical swamp would be full of natural colors, all ROYGBIVs and browns; while a saltwater one might be all black and white and blue with assorted reds and pinks, like a fantastical lunar, or infernal, landscape.
The issue with that being limited color palette, unfortunately, atleast unless we do a graphics set. Completely forgot graphics sets apply to creatures, not terrain *derp*
 Maybe using some of the weirder ASCII symbols for the tile, atleast until some(maybe me) makes a tileset and graphics pack?

Edit: In regards to theme, what if we combined the "Magic vs. Tech" ideas with the "extra-dimensional invasion" theme? Maybe lay out some ideas of how magic interacts with extra-dimensional things, and with technology, and how technology interacts with the other two?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:32:40 am by Urdothor »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2015, 04:34:47 am »

@Urd: Not much. Nightgrass fields, sakura trees in an open desolate plain, third cavern layer pulsating with magic and oddity due to proximity with the magicite core.

@Urlance: Ooh, I like the interdimensional idea. I think i can figure something out. Could I put them in evil/good biomes instead?

Just to clarify our theme atm. A world powered by magic, where everyday creature use magic. That is, until the invasion of extra-dimensional beings throws their world into chaos and disorder. As the conflict escalates, a technological revolution begins amongst the native species', in an effort to help combat the alien invaders.

Aleksanderus

• Bay Watcher
  • Champion of the unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2015, 04:43:57 am »

I want to be a player of this mod!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:45:34 am by Aleksanderus »
his title changed to "thruthful chills"
Also known as : "Believe me when I say this guy is a psychotic murderer".

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2015, 04:49:25 am »

The issue with that being limited color palette, unfortunately, atleast unless we do a graphics set. Completely forgot graphics sets apply to creatures, not terrain *derp*
 Maybe using some of the weirder ASCII symbols for the tile, atleast until some(maybe me) makes a tileset and graphics pack?
I'm aware of the color-limit. But you can have a different emphasize on the colors, surely? And as you say, tiles are also effective in communicating alienness.
@Urlance: Ooh, I like the interdimensional idea. I think i can figure something out. Could I put them in evil/good biomes instead?
Yeah, that works even better. That slipped my mind somehow.
Just to clarify our theme atm. A world powered by magic, where everyday creature use magic. That is, until the invasion of extra-dimensional beings throws their world into chaos and disorder. As the conflict escalates, a technological revolution begins amongst the native species', in an effort to help combat the alien invaders.
This sounds good. I suggest that the dimension's native magic have a natural, procreative manner. So you might have turkeys popping out of thin air, but they're a recognizable quality, achieved through consistent means. The extradimensional magicks, on the other hand, are even more bizarre than their attendant physics, embodying a more chaotic model (at least as far as the rather clockwork engine of DF allows.) The natives of the universe, finding their mages wanting, devote their efforts to harnessing the building blocks of their own plane.
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2015, 04:49:25 am »

@Bearskie
Obviously swamps are going to be darker colors, browns, greens etc. Tall cat tail things, and low clumpy looking grasses.

The extra-dimensional invasion was an idea of mine actually.... I borrowed it from Magic the Gathering, sort of.
I assume that not all creatures of this plane will be magical? There has to be some mundane-ity.

@Aleksanderus
Will add you to the pool

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2015, 04:53:57 am »

I assume that not all creatures of this plane will be magical? There has to be some mundane-ity.
Indeed. The usual idea of a small percentage of the population being magically sensitive should work rather nicely with the caste system.

Also, magecite golems should absolutely be a thing.
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2015, 05:01:22 am »

And perhaps entire mundane races as well.

So, there are 4 classifications of races so far I think.
Mundane
Magical
Extra-dimensional
Technological

Perhaps the technology is magic based? Like steam punk, with magic instead of steam?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2015, 05:05:47 am »

I had it in my mind that magic was ubiquitous, and creatures would have naturally evolved to adapt to such a magic-rich environment. Still don't mind if we're going to do mundanity over magic. Not sure if mundanity is a strong suit of this franchise though. *cough*

As an added thought, the interdimensional beings could be magic resistant or immune as well, sort of like the Dungeon Dimensioners from Discworld. It could explain why the natives saw the need to turn to technology with their magic being useless against them.

Edit: Technological shouldn't necessarily be mutually exclusive with the others; there's no reason magical beings cant use it as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:07:38 am by Bearskie »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2015, 05:07:17 am »

You could split the technology types into Industrial and Esoteric, or similar. Basically have one be simple, effective, lots of dark metal and heavy-bore firearms, whereas the other has crazy advanced teslaguns and the like, but less of them and they're more fragile.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2015, 05:08:03 am »

Perhaps the technology is magic based? Like steam punk, with magic instead of steam?
It's not like someone's going eschew magic altogether, if it can still help him mass-produce his wares. That said, mundane races aren't necessarily going to have easy access to it, so perhaps there should be two technological categories.
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 42