Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Preventing the dogpile  (Read 2871 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preventing the dogpile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 09:33:35 pm »

Doors do NOT protect from werebeasts!

Sorry, this was slightly misleading.  It takes them long enough to get to the fort and disassemble the door that the moon usually sets, and you are left staring at a very surprised no-longer-were sentient who is long overdue for being turned into cutlets.  but yes, they do have building-destroyer.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Skully

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs more Cthulu. And foxes. Always more foxes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2015, 10:20:43 pm »

...Also in this one like 5 minutes after embarking my miner became the new king. Wonder how that happened.
I think, in that case, that means your current fort is the only fort left in your civilization.

Well, I've still been getting immigrants and trade caravans from other forts in the civ. I guess the old king must have died somehow?

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 04:07:25 am »

To the original question of this thread, I think I might have discovered something semi-useful. I need to experiment with it a bit more though and it's more useful in relation to military, but it is keeping them from starting the bum rush too early.

I have an outer courtyard that can be closed off at both ends. It's 1 Z-level below the ground level and my door. (In the pic it's being "washed" with magma following a siege). Currently I'm letting in a decent number of gobbos and then closing the outer door and letting my melee dwarves out to slaughter them. This keeps my dwarves from having to deal with the 200+ siegers I'm getting all at a one time, and getting tired/killed. The inner gate of the courtyard is on ground level, but then my main hall (pillared open space) where I station my melee dwarves to wait is -1 Z-level again. Same as the outer courtyard. So effectively I've got a dike between my siegers and waiting dwarves. Since the dwarves don't see the the gobbos until they get to the inner gate they seem to hold position nicely until the gobbos are right on top of them. Then they rush up on the dike/gate together and out into the courtyard for the slaughter, while I simultaneously close the outer gate.

Anyways, it needs some more testing, but it seems that dikes, that block vision, are potentially useful in helping your dwarves stay put until the enemy is close. Potentially it has civilian applications as well, but would require a lot of attention to overall fortress design.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 08:40:02 am »

@Skully: Caravans and immigrants continue to arrive regardless of whether there's somewhere left for them to come from left or not. The old king died, and since the new one didn't get elected from any important site, your site is likely the only one left.
Pages: 1 [2]