Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Royal Tomb Challenge  (Read 1732 times)

Alexander Seil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Royal Tomb Challenge
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:06:00 am »

Think Indiana Jones   :p

Basically, you take your dwarves and build a sort of a colony for royal tomb artisans, sort of like they had in Ancient Egypt. Then you build a tomb. With a deadly twist...

Your goal is to construct the largest and most expensive trapped tomb. It should be hidden, locked and have some kind of a mechanism to access it from the outside. There has to be a trap that would destroy/seal the entire tomb (in a suitably spectacular fashion) if the intruders ever reach the royal sarcophagus.

You get massive bonus points (not denominated in anything meaningful) for having an actual royal corpse in the sarcophagus, and for murdering and burying the artisans who did work on the tomb, in the tomb. Having a massive treasury in the tomb also won't hurt.

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: Alexander Seil ]

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
Re: Royal Tomb Challenge
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 02:02:00 am »

If i can ever get 80 Dwarves in my map, I will do that.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Tenebrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 02:16:00 am »

:D

And, if you are a true Dwarven engineer, include an assortment of water based triggers far beneath the tomb to *begin* collapsing the tomb (closing the entrance and opening a new exit) when the Sarcophagus is approached.

When you are done, post your save file, accept your admiration and praise, and we will all make an adventurer named Indy with traps enabled.

Enter TO CREATE THE WORLD.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 02:21:00 am »

I've really got to make one of these.  It'd be so cool.

Too bad there isn't a way to avoid traps by jumping or ducking yet.  Only misses and normal dodging.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:35:00 am »

Don't forget pressure plates that closes the tomb forever, slowly leaving the intruders to rot! I'm so gonna make something like this.
This is -ing good wood!

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:25:00 am »

If only we could make custom engravings... It'd be awesome to have a wall of engravings giving clues towards the right direction, e.g. "On this wall is an image of a sapphire", and then you have to pull the sapphire lever in order disable the trap...

Alexander Seil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 10:49:00 pm »

I think that the most practical "self-destruction" systems would be magma/water based.

I suggest a "mixing device" of the following sort - when you approach the sarcophagus, the whole tomb begins to fill up with magma/water in such a way as to eventually fill most of the tomb with obsidian. Probably very hard to do, but more viable than any kind of a collapse (unless you have a tomb that can just be dropped to the ground, which wouldn't be too difficult or clever).

Also, consider tombs entirely carved from ice that could be melted down completely using magma.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »

This is going on the summer project list. Prepare yourselves.

Tenebrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:08:00 am »

I had a water/magma mixing device once, sticking out of the side of my cliff. I got tired of turning on magma, waiting for magma to fill my small pool, and then switching to water to farm obsidian. So I opened both floodgates.

After the initial spam of cavern collapses as obsidian was made in mid-air, my device created a spear of obsidian over the valley below.

code:

#############
#########
####
##
##
###
####

Eventually the obsidian blocked off the floodgates and destroyed a Windmill which had been powering the magma portion of the device, so I ended up scumming that fortress because of a perma-flood in the valley below.

Anyways, good luck on the tomb, Fualkner!

Enter TO CREATE THE WORLD.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 01:13:00 am »

Check out the tomb of Captain Ironblood of Nist Akath for some neat ideas.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

Since I don't know how you'd do crushing cielings, you definitely need a many-levelled chamber of stairs that gets deeper and deeper toward the middle. Right inside the entrance would be a pressure plate that seals the intruder into the room and then starts slowly filling the chamber with water until it's completely flooded....VERY slowly.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

Crushing ceilings are hard without resorting to cave in, but you can always do a bridge retracted into one wall that will squash anything in the way. Bonus points if the trap is triggered in the middle of a long corridor, and you have to have a fast enough adventurer to run out of the corridor before the bridge comes down (use a water based delay system to give the adventurer a chance?

Obviously, this is only fun if it's at least _possible_ to get through the tombs, however difficult.

Alexander Seil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »

For a collapsing ceiling -

code:

|
|<-wall of the chamber

Would this work?

BathosAndPathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »

Surround the chamber with grates at the top to collapse the ceiling, without making too much of a mess.

quote:
Originally posted by Normandy:
<STRONG>If only we could make custom engravings... It'd be awesome to have a wall of engravings giving clues towards the right direction, e.g. "On this wall is an image of a sapphire", and then you have to pull the sapphire lever in order disable the trap...</STRONG>

You could build a sapphire window nearby. =D

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: BathosAndPathos ]