Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mass pitting... can't find gobbos in the list  (Read 1021 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
mass pitting... can't find gobbos in the list
« on: December 22, 2015, 05:18:38 pm »

Hi y'all, another question from a rusty returning player.  I've built a mass pitting system and am trying to dump some goblins into it, but cannot find them in the list of creatures to "Assign" to the pit.  Here's what I do: hit "i" for zones, move the cursor over the pit zone, Shift-P for "set Pit/Pond information", then there's a list of my domesticated animals I can choose to pit, but no list of goblins.  I have the goblins in cages and have stripped them of their valuables.  What am I forgetting?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: mass pitting... can't find gobbos in the list
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 06:05:15 pm »

Nothing. It's currently not working. No sapient creature can be pitted, hooked up to a chain, etc (basically it works the same as it did for dorfs, but for all sapients now). The only way to get captives out is to either hook a lever to their built cage, or let them free by trying to haul them to a caravan for trade (with the attendant mess).
I build pressure plate activated atom smashers to get rid of invaders caught in cages (build cage, hook up to lever, 4*10 raising drawbridges hooked up to the plate, override lever in case the buggers just stand on the pressure plate, door locked before pulling lever to stop dorfs from rushing in to collect the mechanism and/or cage, rinse, repeat.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 06:09:46 pm »

Is it by design, or is it a bug?
This was always a great way to recycle cages and to give my dwarves some combat training.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 06:17:07 pm »

I hope it's a bug. It was annoying enough not to be able to dispose of undead dwarves and dwarven necromancers normally.

mgotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 09:08:59 pm »

I hope it's a bug. It was annoying enough not to be able to dispose of undead dwarves and dwarven necromancers normally.

Ditto.
It takes a lot of joy out of the game not being able to drag squealing goblins to your 10Z level, spike filled pit. :(

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 11:49:04 pm »

I got it working.

Once.

Couldn't reproduce how because I hadn't known it was glitched before I tried, and on my second attempt the bug reared its ugly head.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 03:49:01 am »

And you're sure you were pitting a sapient the first time, and not an "animal" such as a reacher?

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 12:06:14 pm »

Goblins, into a 10z splatter pit.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 01:27:26 pm »

I prefer to drop them 2Z into a drawbridge-sealed room with my archers 1Z above them.  Depending on what's in the pit and who I need to train, I'll either let the archers plink at them or send in the ground troops via the drawbridge.

Although sometimes it's fun to throw enemies in that'll fight each other for my amusement, too.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 01:34:45 pm »

It's marked as fixed now so I'm guessing we'll be able to pit goblins again in .06

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 04:00:46 pm »

Goblins, into a 10z splatter pit.
Did it happen to be undead?  They seem to be butcherable (with appropriate ethics), so I'd suspect they'd be cage-transferable as well.