Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)  (Read 56757 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)
« Reply #435 on: January 15, 2016, 12:17:42 am »

I'm REAL late but having watched the movie with family lately...I'm curious about several tiny things (which are in dialogue and memory).

How did [the rebellion person who flew the TIE Fighter with Finn back to Jakku] get out? What I recall when he explained his survival was something...something...'I escaped at night' or something along those lines. How did he get back to his rebel buddies too, when the First Order was in orbit around Jakku? O_o

Also was there a timeskip at the ending when the rebels left victorious, because given the time between 'evacuate base' and 'planet explodes to reveal a nice sun', it seems pretty...fast, for the First Order to have evacuated important personnel. (and HOW?)
It is never explained. If all that wee explained, I feel the movie would be too much like the prequels (too much setting creation/backstory creation etc.) I think they purposefully left it up to the audience to make their own story of how Poe Dameron got out, and for the evcuation part, they had all of the time Kylo Ren and Finn and Rey were fighting to get everybody off, and it would be a simple task fo one ship to pick up Kylo Ren right before the planet collapsed.

But... backstory is kind of important. I mean the movie started off unbelievably slowly and they just stormed through everything after they got off Jakku. It was rather silly.

Jakku: BB-8 is important, map piece. Poe is important but has been captured, Finn is having second thoughts. Rey is important, scavenger, meets BB-8, somehow understands all the warbling, made to look good by not selling BB-8, also cool food thing. Finn saves Poe, crashes on Jakku, wanders through the desert, meets Rey, attacked by BB-8 claims rebel after BB-8 calls him out on the jacket. They got off Jakku in Millenium Falcon.

Post Jakku: Get boarded by Han and Chewie, attacked by bounty hunters oh what are these alien things hyperspace jump from inside space station, get to wherever they go after that, Rey is Jedi. Oh snap First Order have super weapon (THAT FINN NEVER MENTIONS) and blow up shit, attack planet kidnap Rey, Rey interrogated shown to be powerful, escapes while Han and Finn say they need to rescue her and blow up weapon. Find Rey, Han dies, Kylo gets shot, fights Finn (FINN SHOULD BE DEAD) fights Rey and loses, blow up weapon. Map complete, lets go find Luke. Luke stares and stares and stares.

I was actually enjoying the slowness of it because it allowed you to get attache to the characters a wee bit, and then it was pretty much shitty action movie after that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 15, 2016, 12:19:43 am »

Kylo Ren thinks he's hot shit and messed around with Finn for a while before getting hit once and promptly fusing his spine.

He also got shot earlier by Chewbacca's Bowcaster. You know, the one that the movie shoved in your face repeatedly "HEY THIS THING IS FUCKING POWERFUL"? And then it showed him punching his wound repeatedly? And the blood dripping on the ground, to show that he's been weakened by the ultra-powerful bowcaster?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 15, 2016, 02:08:10 am »

But... backstory is kind of important. I mean the movie started off unbelievably slowly and they just stormed through everything after they got off Jakku. It was rather silly.

Yeah, I felt the pacing was really strange after Jakku as well.  It was almost as if they were trying to cram in too much.  Might have been a bit better if the superweapon wasn't fully built yet.  Could have it have been completed in the second movie (maybe have a failed assault?), then destroyed in the third.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 15, 2016, 02:18:55 am »

I've heard that the next movie is supposed to be "darker", so maybe you'll get your wish. Empire Strikes Back was certainly the darkest of the original trilogy.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 15, 2016, 02:29:02 am »

I've heard that the next movie is supposed to be "darker", so maybe you'll get your wish. Empire Strikes Back was certainly the darkest of the original trilogy.

Bets on Rey or Finn getting a body part lopped off in a lightsaber battle?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 15, 2016, 02:31:53 am »

If Rey loses her right hand I'm not watching the third one.

But there'll be an Ewok analogue!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 15, 2016, 02:32:06 am »

If Rey loses her right hand I'm not watching the third one.
My sentiments exactly.

Although if it's her foot I will be intrigued.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 15, 2016, 02:34:32 am »

Finn's Kylo Ren's brother.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 15, 2016, 02:37:38 am »

Begs the question why Leia and Han just abandoned one of their kids so he could wind up a Stormtrooper.

...also begs the question how Leia and Han had a black kid naturally.

Hey man, they'll figure it out.

Alternatively: that's racist!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 15, 2016, 03:32:34 am »

Yeah, I felt the pacing was really strange after Jakku as well.  It was almost as if they were trying to cram in too much.  Might have been a bit better if the superweapon wasn't fully built yet.  Could have it have been completed in the second movie (maybe have a failed assault?), then destroyed in the third.
There was a total of 1 Deathstar destroyed in the first Star Wars movie. :P But yeah--I'd have loved the backstory and initial panic before the SUPERWEAPON was deployed. Especially knowing...what system it hit and what 5 planets were the ones that blew up. :x

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 15, 2016, 03:36:02 am »

The real thing that's irritated me is why Finn speaks with an American accent and Rey with a British one. Especially since John Boyega naturally has a VERY posh British accent. Just very weird that an Imperial would be speaking with a Galactic accent when a denizen of the Galaxy speaks with an Imperial one.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #446 on: January 15, 2016, 03:37:20 am »

Because multiculturalism is a thing. Evidence: Finn.

Also something I put in my first post which still seems unpicked up on. Finn is FN2187. Can anybody remember which cell Princess Leia was in on DS1? That's right. 2187.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 15, 2016, 03:40:04 am »

That reminds me...
Where are we on the Star Wars timeline where Stormtroopers were cloned, but they stopped using the Jango Fett as basis? I remember watching a video explaining the SW universe and the development of the clones (as well as feeling sad about them being wiped out at the time of hearing by lifespan... :-\), but am unsure where on the timeline this one is.

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing the Rebellion/resistance/whatever "friendly to protagonist" group they decide upon to actually lose for once in one of their endeavors. Suffer more of a crippling blow than just the friendly-to-antagonist group's testing of their new superweapon.
I...am unsure about that. The Republic just lost 5 whole planet's worth of 'losing'. And more than half its elite fighter/bomber strikeforce when assaulting the superweapon. And Han Solo.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 04:05:51 am by Tiruin »

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 15, 2016, 03:42:40 am »

What? He was raised by Imperials from childhood. There's no way he wouldn't have an Imperial accent.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 15, 2016, 04:07:04 am »

What? He was raised by Imperials from childhood. There's no way he wouldn't have an Imperial accent.
I thought he was cloned? I mean...I'm assuming he was cloned from my memory recalling himself saying he was cloned o_o

Also just remembered--what is Reconditioning in the First Order's context? [As in, psychological reconditioning, or is it 'insert chip in brain so you will serve BETTER' conditioning?]
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43