Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 43

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)  (Read 56766 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)
« Reply #420 on: January 08, 2016, 04:58:16 pm »

Poe, Rey, and Fin together make Not-Luke.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 08, 2016, 05:15:47 pm »

She's established as a kickass survivalist, fighter and pilot from the get-go,
Incredibly lucky pilot... she was as surprised that she flew the Millennium Falcon as well as she did, remember.  (I think I've heard that in "Before the Force Awakens" it's established that she'd found a flight simulator in the junk, where she got that Rebel Pilot helmet, and had been practising, but had had no actual experience of starship flight.)

where Luke Annikin went from unskilled whiny brat to amazing fighter pilot in a single movie.
FTFY.
(Luke has the 'excuse' that he's shot at womprats from a speeder, which - leaving how he got into the trench, for now - explains his (pre-trained?) 'instinctive' skills, once he's persuaded to abandon the emotionless bombsight that most of the normal pilots will at least have extensively trained to use.)

It doesn't give her any obvious power upgrades, summon help, or do anything other than scare off Kylo Ren.
Pity,
it would have been useful to have had Summon Bigger Fish...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 08, 2016, 05:17:10 pm »

Pity,
it would have been useful to have had Summon Bigger Fish...
You rang?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 08, 2016, 05:20:02 pm »

So everyone, what do you think Finn is going to do in the next movies?
He will go on a journey, at the end of which he will announce "Lando!  You are my father!"

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 08, 2016, 05:48:01 pm »

We're told Luke was good at flying speeders

Aircraft actually.  The speeder he drives to find R2 is one of two vehicles you can see in his garage.

Speeders drive at a fixed distance from the ground. They're cars, not aircraft.

As mentioned upthread, Luke actually was talking about a real aircraft. That makes him being able to fly an X-Wing on the first try slightly less laughable.

Rey's speeder was made of X-wing parts and is thus able to fly. She has flight experience too.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:48:10 pm by Putnam »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 08, 2016, 06:20:16 pm »

So everyone, what do you think Finn is going to do in the next movies?
He will go on a journey, at the end of which he will announce "Lando!  You are my father!"

Finn is not-Vader, after the death of someone close to him, he changes sides and fights his former comrades.

Therefore, I fully expect him to be Lando's son, then take off Kylo's arm with a lightsaber.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 09, 2016, 05:19:08 pm »

Watching Cinemasins, the commenter stated that "a film about Palpatine learning about the force and killing his master" would have been an interesting watch... and... damn. He's right.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 09, 2016, 05:26:30 pm »

Watching Cinemasins, the commenter stated that "a film about Palpatine learning about the force and killing his master" would have been an interesting watch... and... damn. He's right.

Unfortunately the book is not. At least when he does kill his master.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 14, 2016, 11:53:01 pm »

I'm REAL late but having watched the movie with family lately...I'm curious about several tiny things (which are in dialogue and memory).

How did [the rebellion person who flew the TIE Fighter with Finn back to Jakku] get out? What I recall when he explained his survival was something...something...'I escaped at night' or something along those lines. How did he get back to his rebel buddies too, when the First Order was in orbit around Jakku? O_o

Also was there a timeskip at the ending when the rebels left victorious, because given the time between 'evacuate base' and 'planet explodes to reveal a nice sun', it seems pretty...fast, for the First Order to have evacuated important personnel. (and HOW?)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 14, 2016, 11:55:54 pm »

How did [the rebellion person who flew the TIE Fighter with Finn back to Jakku] get out? What I recall when he explained his survival was something...something...'I escaped at night' or something along those lines. How did he get back to his rebel buddies too, when the First Order was in orbit around Jakku? O_o
He said he was thrown free of the crash and knocked out until after nightfall, by which time Finn had left and the wreckage of the ship had sunk. Most likely the First Order just abandoned their watch over Jakku once they figured out the cast had left.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 14, 2016, 11:57:08 pm »

I'm REAL late but having watched the movie with family lately...I'm curious about several tiny things (which are in dialogue and memory).

Also was there a timeskip at the ending when the rebels left victorious, because given the time between 'evacuate base' and 'planet explodes to reveal a nice sun', it seems pretty...fast, for the First Order to have evacuated important personnel. (and HOW?)
It is never explained. If all that wee explained, I feel the movie would be too much like the prequels (too much setting creation/backstory creation etc.) I think they purposefully left it up to the audience to make their own story of how Poe Dameron got out, and for the evcuation part, they had all of the time Kylo Ren and Finn and Rey were fighting to get everybody off, and it would be a simple task fo one ship to pick up Kylo Ren right before the planet collapsed.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 14, 2016, 11:58:07 pm »

I think that they were trying to imply that he ejected and then woke up that night. Dunno if that was they were going for, but that's how I interpreted it.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 14, 2016, 11:59:20 pm »

He said he was thrown free of the crash and knocked out until after nightfall, by which time Finn had left and the wreckage of the ship had sunk. Most likely the First Order just abandoned their watch over Jakku once they figured out the cast had left.
That's a long time under the sun to be knocked out under. Thanks though :D That's been bugging me for a long time.

Especially how he could've gotten off Jakku, considering the social climate of the nearest city.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 43