Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 43

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)  (Read 56785 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)
« Reply #360 on: January 08, 2016, 01:21:48 am »

It's way above our medical tech because of sex-chromosome triggered rejection. Finding a way to fuck around with X and Y in such a way that you could do that is something I don't think has ever even been speculated on.

Lies!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 08, 2016, 01:25:46 am »

Where does that movie fit into the star wars cannon?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 08, 2016, 01:34:14 am »

It's way above our medical tech because of sex-chromosome triggered rejection. Finding a way to fuck around with X and Y in such a way that you could do that is something I don't think has ever even been speculated on.

That's related to organ transplants and not to the idea of growing an organ from scratch. With androgen insensitivity, you have cases of XY chromosome people turning out female, sometimes with all the "bits" in the right place. This would be an offshoot of cloning tech, not organ transplants from strangers, therefore mulling over rejection rates would be a red herring.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:38:25 am by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 08, 2016, 01:40:24 am »

That's related to organ transplants and not to the idea of growing an organ from scratch. We know of at least one case where a woman with XY chromosomes grew a normal uterus/cervix etc. This proves that the genes for these organs are not missing in an XY chromosome person. Via organ cloning you could do it.
Fascinating, but I'm not sold that organ cloning could do the job. The syndrome that case came from required total genetic insensitivity to androgens, effectively causing the XY to be an XO. A normal androgen sensitive XY man wouldn't experience the same result, and while I concede that in that instance the risk of rejection syndrome is reduced to baseline, that wouldn't actually get you a working uterus. The flood of androgens would almost undoubtedly do something horrible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 08, 2016, 01:48:18 am »

About as much as discussing chromosome triggered rejection.

/oddly passive aggressive
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 08, 2016, 01:51:35 am »

Give it a few years, uterus transplants are something they only just got working with cis women (first successful birth was october 2014), and they are in fact already talking about trying it with transwomen.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:54:02 am by Reelya »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #366 on: January 08, 2016, 02:29:30 am »

Please, please, children, stop fighting.

the idea of Luke carrying a child to term while staying off the radar

Dude, he can't carry a child to term. He hasn't got a womb.  Where's the fetus going to gestate? What's he going to do, keep it in a box?

That was exactly the point I was making. It means that for him to be Rey's father, there has to be a woman doing womanly things. PLOT TWIST it was Captain Phasma
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 08, 2016, 03:07:18 am »

The problem is that Yoda talks in his verb object subject order way more in the prequels than in the originals.

Not wishing to excuse it, but Yoda is definitely the most obscure for Luke when he's trying to appear obscure and inconsequential (or so my memory tells me), but possibly also it's a first-contact-in-a-long-while-with-anybody-he-can-talk-to situation.

Obviously in the Prequel Trilogy he's mostly in the situation of being in a formal Jedi Council setting.  Could his archaic (he is old) language in both cases be based upon a formal 'high Jedi' from days of yore?

Or something based upon his own species' native grammar (easiest to dredge up at each point of great import), even though he realises he needs to use the 'galactic standard' vocabulary?

Or could it be a practical need to say "see those people...?  Protect them!" rather than "I want you to protect... those people!", effectively, and in the most efficient way of giving such an order...  Draw attention to the subject, then define the action required.

Or it gave him an extra few moments to decide on the best action to precisely define1.

Or just lazy dialogue, it was.  Entirely possible, that is.

1 I know... knew at least, not sure about his status at this precise moment... a guy who often spent several moments before replying, with him plainly (to those who were used to him) considering his precise wording before uttering it.  He ran a bookshop from... time immemorial until at least 2012 (I've just found a message of that vintage from someone else mentioning that he could use some help moving his stock because of needing to move premises, but nothing since) and was by no means 'dumb slow', nor pretending.  Different approach, but perhaps the same aim.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 08, 2016, 03:10:11 am »

One of 'em yodas appears in KOTOR and speaks in the most common english syntax.

...or maybe that's because, back then, spoke like Yoda everyone did, hmm?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 08, 2016, 03:13:20 am »

A long long time afterwards, in a galaxy much much closer to ours...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 08, 2016, 03:15:22 am »

Probably an early adoptee into the Jedi.

Or who the fuck knows, George ain't telling us what the hell Yoda's origin is.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 08, 2016, 03:20:05 am »

Yoda was only 900-something. Maz Kanata's actually older.

EDIT: googling snoke now has an image, but it's from a dumb article about how he's actually darth vader even though the DUDE IS CURRENTLY GHOSTLY HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:23:00 am by Putnam »

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 08, 2016, 04:05:05 am »

Some very nerdy nitpicking rants:

1) I don't get Kylo Ren's lightsaber design. Even in-lore it has no imaginable purpose and it simply not cool enough. A sword's crossguard was designed to protect the hands of the sword fighter when an enemy's blade slides on the holder's blade and to prevent the hand from slipping toward the blade with a forward thrust. Ren's crossguard doesn't fulfill any of these functions since the lightsabers shouldn't slide on each other and even if they do, an enemy's lightsaber sliding will cut through the metallic parts which are extended out and exposed. the lightsabre blade is made of near weightless plasma which will provide no "recoil" when thrusting it against something. if it was just non functional it would have been passable to imagine that an emo teen character would do it to look cool, but it actually hinders Ren's abilities in battle as he has far less freedom of blade movement because of the crossguard.

a better lightsabre "design" would have been to actually capitalize on the in-lore explanation of a magnetic field holding the plasma and giving a Jedi/Sith/Whatever the ability to extend/retract and bend at will his blade, making it become a whip like weapon at will. would probably make for a less fancy sword fights (Although its easy to imagine a whole plethora of new sword fighting techniques with a bending blade) but the prequels and the latest movie sword fights are so bad it wouldn't matter.

2) Giving  our own current ability to map the galaxy, i find it hard to accept there are "unknown" parts of the galaxy to faster-than-light star faring species. without this unacceptable bit of "unknown part" of the galaxy (i could accept unexplored which is a totally different thing), there is simply no need for the other parts of the map to reveal Luke's position since BB-8's part is the one pointing to the end star. His part was a large enough piece to suffice even for a modern computer to calculate where in the galaxy that star is, let alone fully intelligent robots.

This frame
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
was a nice homage to this fantastic poster
and to this scene
probably the best frames of the entire film.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 08, 2016, 04:08:03 am »

It's a "junk lighrsaber", so Kylo Ren was probably being stupid when he made it.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 08, 2016, 04:53:21 am »

I'd like to say that I'm angry that people ruined my Monty Python joke by branching into a discussion about uterus transplants.

I'd also like to say that while gender-mismatch is a valid concern in transplantation, it's far from being an insurmountable obstacle. I've seen plenty of gender-mismatched marrow transplants. When you munch large numbers of patients you see it can affect outcomes (though not always in a bad way), but IMO it's not the biggest variable to consider when you're doing this kind of stuff.

Now back on topic :p

That was exactly the point I was making. It means that for him to be Rey's father, there has to be a woman doing womanly things. PLOT TWIST it was Captain Phasma
I've got an idea. Suppose you agree that he can't actually have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's fault, not even Darth Sidious, but that he can have the right to have babies.
 It could be a symbol of the struggle against the oppression of the First Order!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:56:35 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 43