Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 43

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)  (Read 56783 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)
« Reply #345 on: January 07, 2016, 11:28:03 pm »

I wouldn't really take that. Language evolves naturally through meme transmission; Yoda was written by a dude.
Well that disqualifies all fictional languages then, so it's not a criteria targeting Yoda any more is it?

~~~

The change over the different movies is mitigated by the fact that the prequels are several decades before the originals however. The guy lived alone in a swamp for decades: that's gotta affect how you speak.

http://www.textfugu.com/season-1/japanese-grammar-with-yoda/
Yoda was largely based on Japanese grammar. And in Japanese there are very different forms for different levels of company. For example there are four ways to say "this is a book" written here, based on the company you're keeping, and that's not even taking dialects into account:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorific_speech_in_Japanese#Expressing_politeness
So it could well be that there are more and less formal/polite modes of speech in Yoda's language, and in the prequels he maintained more of a polite tone, but lapsed more into an informal tone after talking to himself for decades on Degobah. You could imagine that happening with a British Empire officer stranded on an island somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:39:28 pm by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 07, 2016, 11:43:56 pm »

I'm a bit surprised how many people thought the plot was predictable. I had my disbelief thoroughly suspended the whole time and was actually surprised at [REDACTED].

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 07, 2016, 11:53:13 pm »

I'm a bit surprised how many people thought the plot was predictable. I had my disbelief thoroughly suspended the whole time and was actually surprised at [REDACTED].
You mean Han dying by the redacted, I assume? This is the spoiler thread, no need to be cautious here.

But honestly I could see it coming from a mile away even if I hadn't been spoiled by some fucker. He plays the exact same role as Obi-Wan did in ANH.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #348 on: January 07, 2016, 11:57:43 pm »

I don't know if anyone noticed but FN2187 is Finn. Can anybody remember what cell Princess Leia was held in in ep4? That's right, cell number 2187.

Kylo Ren's saber is, realistically, not meant for defence as shown when he pushes the extra bits into Finn's shoulder.

Hiding critical data in a droid? That's new.

Also someone needs to do me a family tree at the moment, this is getting into Egyptian levels of family tree shape.

So Kylo is Han and Leia's son. Rey is Luke and an unknown lady's daughter. I would say Rey is born of the Force, but she has flashbacks of her mother being torn from her, and the idea of Luke carrying a child to term while staying off the radar is... well..
That makes Kylo and Rey... cousins?

There was a book released the day before Force Awakens was released which gave us some insight to TR-8R. Finn was in a four person fireteam consisting of himself, FN2187, A guy called Slips, FN2003, so called because he always slips up. Finn would help Slip from all these slip-ups and it is likely that Slips is the stormtrooper who puts the blood on his helmet at the start. The other two members of the fireteam, FN 2199 and FN2000, or Nines and Zero respectively. Finn was the only one without a name because he was the leader of the small group.

Finn scored in the top 1% of stormtrooper tests and it was his caring of Slip that held him back. Phasma holds Finn back because of slip. When Slip dies at the start of ep7, it is the final straw for him, causing him to betray the First Order. Who else but either Nines or Zero knows him out of armor? Although canon ends before I even said Slips was the dead guy. So everything since then is speculation.

Nines or Zero probably made it their personal mission to find Finn and bring him back alive, hence the (possibly) non-lethal weapon used because of all the good times, but also wanted him punished for betraying them. It is possible Nine and Zero then BOTH trained to be riot control stormtroopers, but only one of them was able to confront Finn.

On a similar point, STORMTROOPERS CAN HIT SOMETHING IN THE GENERAL VICINITY OF WHERE THEY AIM!
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 08, 2016, 12:01:36 am »

It was most likely Zeroes who was the l8 g8 TR-8R. He was apparently the dude who was always the most competitive with Finn in training.

And then the fucker went traitor
Sig! Onol

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 08, 2016, 12:02:12 am »

The one sticking point to all this is how they would know they would ever see him again.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #351 on: January 08, 2016, 12:15:18 am »

The one sticking point to all this is how they would know they would ever see him again.
I assume that's what they planned on doing all along. They knew Finn would help the resistance, probably even briefed on it by Phasma. They were the two who knew him best now that Slips was most likely dead, so they knew how he fought, hence how TR8R kicked his ass. Finn was using a weapon he had never used before, but was still semi-competent with it.

From here on in I am posting with the assumptions that Slips was the stormtrooper who died at the start, Zero was TR8R and Nines was occupied on the other side of the battle. Zero and Nines were likely put into a new fireteam because of numbers. There was probably even a set ratio of people trained in riot control per squad so if things went South with crowd control they could respond quickly by deploying whole teams. Anyway, in that battle Nines and Zero saw Finn and because he knew it meant so much to him, Nines let Zeroes go after Finn.

If this is the case I want Nines to come back in episode 8 and be pissed as fuck because the last thing he saw before the First Order pulled out was Finn walking away from Zero. That's a big vendetta now, because first of all Finn refused to avenge Slip, then is assumed to have killed Zero (Even though we, as the audience, know otherwise)
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 08, 2016, 12:26:02 am »

I wouldn't really take that. Language evolves naturally through meme transmission; Yoda was written by a dude. It's much easier for a dude to be consistent than very large groups of people trying to communicate.

The problem is that Yoda talks in his verb object subject order way more in the prequels than in the originals. If it were inconsistent in one movie, I probably wouldn't have noticed at all, since he communicates just fine within each as soon as you understand him. The problem is that his speech patterns are different between movies, which is odd.
Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKnR3ACfKgE video and start at around 14:57. They make Yoda even more inverted and crazy.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 08, 2016, 12:29:29 am »

wow tom kane does an awful liam neeson

his yoda's still real good though

also your url is malformed

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 08, 2016, 12:30:42 am »

the fuck is that bbc code though. It's backwards or something.
Sig! Onol

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 08, 2016, 12:32:03 am »

the idea of Luke carrying a child to term while staying off the radar

Dude, he can't carry a child to term. He hasn't got a womb.  Where's the fetus going to gestate? What's he going to do, keep it in a box?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 08, 2016, 12:33:05 am »

the idea of Luke carrying a child to term while staying off the radar

Dude, he can't carry a child to term. He hasn't got a womb.  Where's the fetus going to gestate? What's he going to do, keep it in a box?
He'll just use the Force.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 08, 2016, 01:10:38 am »

Stop oppressing him.  It's every Jedi's right to have babies if he wants them.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 08, 2016, 01:17:46 am »

Adding a womb to a human male isn't really that far ahead of the tech we have already, it would clearly be no problem for Star Wars level tech.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 08, 2016, 01:19:58 am »

It's way above our medical tech because of sex-chromosome triggered rejection. Finding a way to fuck around with X and Y in such a way that you could do that is something I don't think has ever even been speculated on.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 43