Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)  (Read 56742 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)
« Reply #450 on: January 15, 2016, 04:10:32 am »

Pretty sure that Finn mentioned a "family that he never knew".  If he is cloned, he himself doesn't know.  And a bunch of people picked up on Kylo Ren trash-talking Admiral Hux, saying that they ( the First Order ) should bring in the clone divisions or contingent or something like that. 

What I'm hoping that implies is that there are clone troopers who functionally ( and perhaps in appearance ) are different from the average stormtroopers.  And considering that the episode 7 troopers have shown considerably greater competence in combat, what would clone troopers do? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 15, 2016, 04:11:37 am »

Nah, he wasn't cloned. Raised from birth and brainwashed maybe, but not cloned.

I've heard that the next movie is supposed to be "darker", so maybe you'll get your wish. Empire Strikes Back was certainly the darkest of the original trilogy.

Bets on Rey or Finn getting a body part lopped off in a lightsaber battle?
Finn seemed to get his spine melted. Does that count?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 15, 2016, 04:15:20 am »

I've heard that the next movie is supposed to be "darker", so maybe you'll get your wish. Empire Strikes Back was certainly the darkest of the original trilogy.

Bets on Rey or Finn getting a body part lopped off in a lightsaber battle?

I expect he'll fully recover from the unexpected invasive surgery.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 15, 2016, 04:16:12 am »

And considering that the episode 7 troopers have shown considerably greater competence in combat, what would clone troopers do?
Other than that one Riot Gear trooper Finn faced off with (who seemed only knocked out?), I'm unsure how the ep 7 troopers show more competence than their previous generations :O Through...marathons with family in watching SW I-VI, I could see the Stormtrooper accuracy reputation ("We miss everything! \o/") in IV/V(?) being more of a faux-pas in the common interpretation (because they weren't aiming to kill the protagonists :P). But...unsure here.

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing the Rebellion/resistance/whatever "friendly to protagonist" group they decide upon to actually lose for once in one of their endeavors. Suffer more of a crippling blow than just the friendly-to-antagonist group's testing of their new superweapon.
I...am unsure about that. The Republic just lost 5 whole planet's worth of 'losing'. And more than half its elite fighter/bomber strikeforce when assaulting the superweapon. And Han Solo.

Well, for one, the losing of 5 planets was almost entirely brushed off as inconsequential. Two, you know just as well as I do that pyrrhic victories don't exist in this universe; it's all glossed over in the "middling years" between movies.
"In the film" it is! :P

I missed the initial part of the film and arrived at the scene when the village was being destroyed ._. How much did I miss?

Spoiler: These guys fix that :P (click to show/hide)
But unsure if that counts, because a body part being lopped off can be given working prosthetics.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 15, 2016, 07:27:17 am »

In the PT the army of Clones was an "We need an army now and fast, and... oh look, someone's developed an army for now, and fast, and because of the duplicity they used we can double-bluff their bluff and take it over..."

But they were speed-grown.  All kinds of problems with that, probably so then by the time of the OT the Empire goes with "Join our army! (If you're tall enough!)" recruitment campaign for many young men (and women?) disenfranchised with their own dead-end worlds, to replace the ageing (and possibly also somewhat sidelined, because they're more expensive) clones.

As we get to the ST, the outer-rim remnants of the Empire that becomes the First Order has neither the traditional cloning resources (though probably a limited copycat capacity) nor the same valid reason for recruitment, so goes and 'conscripts' and 'clonishly' conditions young children through raids on worlds that are effectively unprotected against such lawless (or, possibly, "lawfully evil", under their own rules) actions...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 15, 2016, 08:41:32 am »

I thought the clones from the PT were actually let out as kiddies (or at least younger than adult/fully mature) and then trained.

Then again it has been a while since I've seen it, and that was gleaned from one of the books I'm reading just now.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 15, 2016, 03:39:02 pm »

I thought the clones from the PT were actually let out as kiddies (or at least younger than adult/fully mature) and then trained.

Then again it has been a while since I've seen it, and that was gleaned from one of the books I'm reading just now.
IIRC, they staged them.  There were 'adult' troopers on show, at the newly-discovered facility, who were barely older than those we saw as children (maybe a batch or two ahead), but had been given an accelerated growth and education to bring them up to scratch.  The youngsters we see at that stage were less (if at all) accelerated, and of course they were still doing the "Baby in a Bottle" (a la 'Brave New World') of the latest batch, and future demand and availability would probably dictate a varying number of clones of a varying degree of biological ages being 'fast-tracked' to completion.

If they stop the basic cloning process at that point in time, they'd still have more clones passing through the pipeline for roughly one more generation, and I think the idea is that they did vastly reduce the clone-creation, letting a random selection of natural mothers and fathers of the Old Republic-cum-Empire do the lion's-share of the upbringing of citizens who would become the Stormtrooper-grade (capable of taking orders, capable of firing at (if not hitting) targets) recruits of the Ep4-6 era.

But then it's also been a long while since I've watched those scenes, so ICBW.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 15, 2016, 07:57:36 pm »

Rewatched episode VII, for the first time in theaters (first time was a camrip) Seeing it on the big screen did not change it's mediocrity.

I suppose the largest problem is that despite having a large galaxy filled with uncounted sapient species, all the films (and the galaxy) can focus on is fighting. In fact, the same problem plagues Star Trek (the only time they aren't fighting is when they are in galaxia incognita) and a good deal of human culture.

The world's largest problem is fighting, yes. The other stories are interesting as well. Not just traveling, building, development, farming (a tad bit of a stretch but The Good Earth isn't the worst piece of fiction ever written), trading, etc. Humans do perform other activities and they can often be more interesting. At the very least they stimulate the pre-frontal cortex.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 15, 2016, 08:35:49 pm »

Hint: It's called Star Wars. Fighting is kinda assumed to be involved.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 16, 2016, 03:50:10 pm »

Went to theaters and saw TFA a second time. Really liked how
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Black lives matter.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 16, 2016, 11:13:50 pm »

[...]
I got confused with the acronyms until the thought hit me. PT = Prequel Trilogy(?); OT = Original Trilogy; ST = Sequel Trilogy. The 'T' part is where I'm unsure though.
Thanks a ton for the info and insight! :D

Went to theaters and saw TFA a second time. Really liked how
I think I read something that the crystal used reflects the Force of the user? Hence why Kylo's saber is crackling and such--because his attitude and emotions within his Force/thought process is...a bit messy? Him and Vader idealism seem to go deep considering
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 11:16:10 pm by Tiruin »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 17, 2016, 06:41:31 am »

[...]
I got confused with the acronyms until the thought hit me. PT = Prequel Trilogy(?); OT = Original Trilogy; ST = Sequel Trilogy. The 'T' part is where I'm unsure though.
DDB ;)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 17, 2016, 02:30:33 pm »

Rewatched episode VII, for the first time in theaters (first time was a camrip) Seeing it on the big screen did not change it's mediocrity.

I suppose the largest problem is that despite having a large galaxy filled with uncounted sapient species, all the films (and the galaxy) can focus on is fighting. In fact, the same problem plagues Star Trek (the only time they aren't fighting is when they are in galaxia incognita) and a good deal of human culture.

The world's largest problem is fighting, yes. The other stories are interesting as well. Not just traveling, building, development, farming (a tad bit of a stretch but The Good Earth isn't the worst piece of fiction ever written), trading, etc. Humans do perform other activities and they can often be more interesting. At the very least they stimulate the pre-frontal cortex.
That's sort of an odd thing to say about a film, any story really. I mean, it clearly knows what it wants to be, and it warned you. I mean, did you like the first Star Wars? You're welcome to watch other films! You could watch a film every day that doesn't involve fighting and never run out. Some of them are very thoughtful and clever and intellectually stimulating. In fact this latest Star Wars movie is hardly dumb, you might think it's preoccupied with thoughtless violence but I think you might change your tune if you'd seen, I dunno, most direct-to-VHS action movies in the eighties. Methinks maybe you are just tired of watching too many action movies?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 17, 2016, 03:31:45 pm »

On the earlier subject of Clone Troopers, the clones were all grown at an increased rate and all based off Jango Fetts DNA, at least now, in old EU canon some of the later ones were made from other doners, but I think that's been thrown out.

The clones got abandoned in favour of normal soldiers because after Jango died the DNA they had available for cloning was degrading resulting in a gradual decline in standards of clones produced, a lot were born with physical or mental imperfections, and their service life was already shorter than that of normal humans due to their rapid ageing, they only lived a few decades after completing their training. The clones were a great army for mass producing at short notice to counteract the mass production capability of the seperatist's droids, but not so good for maintaining a standing army.

They also had the capacity to be altered during their growth process, which is how Sideous and Dooku implanted them with Order 66 without having to worry about them resisting or disobeying. If someone else managed to sabotage a clone batch a big chunk of the Empire's army could have turned on them.

(The above is canon as of the Clone Wars cartoon, which I think is part of current canon.)
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43