Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 43

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)  (Read 56787 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)
« Reply #330 on: January 07, 2016, 01:14:08 am »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #331 on: January 07, 2016, 01:16:27 am »

It just occurred to me that Star Wars would be infinitely better with more Jeff Goldblum.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 07, 2016, 07:38:35 am »

Everything is better with more Jeff Goldblum.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 07, 2016, 07:53:08 am »

Everything is better with more Jeff Goldblum.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 07, 2016, 10:41:01 am »

Am I the only person who wanted to rip his esophagus out and break his spine with it in that movie?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 07, 2016, 04:46:51 pm »

Meanwhile in twitterland..

ITS HAPPENING
It's FEF, not FEOF

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 07, 2016, 09:01:26 pm »

Meanwhile in twitterland..

ITS HAPPENING

Those are friggin hilarious. I LOLed. And it takes a lot of Internets to make me LOL.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 07, 2016, 09:31:16 pm »

okay you want to know the actual worst line in all of the prequel trilogy

"Around the survivors, a perimeter make."

Where'd George get the idea that Yoda always speaks that way? Goddamn.

“Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.”

as it would've been prequel-wise

"Size matters not. At me look. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally the force is, and a powerful ally it is. It life creates, it grow makes. Surrounds us and binds us, its energy does. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Feel the force around you, you must" and the rest is the same.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 07, 2016, 09:50:17 pm »

I hate that line too. That line is akin to Sallah in Raider's of the Lost Ark saying "they have not one brain among them... except for one."
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 07, 2016, 09:54:44 pm »

Sallahs line is good.  People talk that way in real life, they start saying something, change their mind and then say something that looks jumbled on the page but makes sense in conversation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 07, 2016, 10:47:00 pm »

I've finally seen it. I didn't have high expectations and was affirmed in this by the inevitability of the written-by-committee style to avoid offending any possible audience, but it wasn't a bad movie because A New Hope was a good movie.

There are some things that give me interest. Kylo and Snoke not being Sith and having an interest in using the Light Side strings along my hope that Ren=Revan after a thousand years of linguistic corruption. If Finn isn't a force-sensitive then they actually probably violated one of those production guide things about who is allowed to touch a lightsaber. Starkiller should have just been a Dyson sphere, but whatever.

I'm actually a bit sad to find out they didn't actually go through with casually destroying Coruscant, that would have been bold. They glossed over how much greater the scale of death caused by Starkiller is in a way that the destruction of Alderaan wasn't. Hux's speech was great though, full of delicious crazy. In the same vein, the initial flight of the Millennium Falcon was amazingly animated.

The primary enemy of the new trilogy is going to be insipid boringness. There's not going to be any possible issue with either funding or actor quality, the only real problem is the horrific creative stranglehold Disney will almost certainly maintain over it for being a cash cow. I don't even have a problem with the cyclical nature of conflict that defines Star Wars, I actually like that element since it plays into some of the best points made by KOTOR. The issue is that this is way too much the same film as A New Hope. I was spoiled, but even if I wasn't I know I could have foreseen Han's death because it was almost exactly the same as Obi-Wan's, and that's something they actually even tried to differentiate with Kylo's uncertainty. Most things are just directly A New Hope's events.

I will say that I think Kylo has the potential to grow into a truly amazing villain in the same vein as Griffith or Light. Someone who recognizes the threads to humanity that keep them grounded and, in time, severs them to be free. They just need to actually take that kind of approach. I don't mind him like most do, I totally support the idea that he's intentionally being played as an unstable Vader fanboy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 07, 2016, 10:49:03 pm »

George Lucas had an interest in non-English languages, it's as simple as that. Subject-verb-object isn't actually the most common human speech pattern. Latin has subject-object-verb ordering, for example, so Romans would have spoken Yoda-speak.

The example given here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_grammar
femina togam texuit meaning "the woman wove a toga"
"The Woman a toga wove" = latin for "the woman wove a toga". i.e. just like Yoda.

You get similar constructs even in languages closely related to English such as German:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_sentence_structure#Main_Sentence
German word order is in fact more alien-sounding than Yoda:
Ich werde den Müll wegwerfen. ("I will throw away the rubbish.", literally "I will the rubbish away-throw.")
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:57:35 pm by Reelya »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 07, 2016, 10:52:57 pm »

I wouldn't mind even in the slightest if it were consistent.

I've finally seen it. I didn't have high expectations and was affirmed in this by the inevitability of the written-by-committee style to avoid offending any possible audience, but it wasn't a bad movie because A New Hope was a good movie.

There are some things that give me interest. Kylo and Snoke not being Sith and having an interest in using the Light Side strings along my hope that Ren=Revan after a thousand years of linguistic corruption. If Finn isn't a force-sensitive then they actually probably violated one of those production guide things about who is allowed to touch a lightsaber. Starkiller should have just been a Dyson sphere, but whatever.

I'm actually a bit sad to find out they didn't actually go through with casually destroying Coruscant, that would have been bold. They glossed over how much greater the scale of death caused by Starkiller is in a way that the destruction of Alderaan wasn't. Hux's speech was great though, full of delicious crazy. In the same vein, the initial flight of the Millennium Falcon was amazingly animated.

The primary enemy of the new trilogy is going to be insipid boringness. There's not going to be any possible issue with either funding or actor quality, the only real problem is the horrific creative stranglehold Disney will almost certainly maintain over it for being a cash cow. I don't even have a problem with the cyclical nature of conflict that defines Star Wars, I actually like that element since it plays into some of the best points made by KOTOR. The issue is that this is way too much the same film as A New Hope. I was spoiled, but even if I wasn't I know I could have foreseen Han's death because it was almost exactly the same as Obi-Wan's, and that's something they actually even tried to differentiate with Kylo's uncertainty. Most things are just directly A New Hope's events.

I will say that I think Kylo has the potential to grow into a truly amazing villain in the same vein as Griffith or Light. Someone who recognizes the threads to humanity that keep them grounded and, in time, severs them to be free. They just need to actually take that kind of approach. I don't mind him like most do, I totally support the idea that he's intentionally being played as an unstable Vader fanboy.

Next episode's directed by Rian Johnson, who also directed Breaking Bad's Ozymandias, which is to this day still considered the best television episode ever made.

Abrams has said he wishes he's making it simply because the script was so good.

I remember statements implying it's going to be very different from previous films, too.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:54:51 pm by Putnam »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 07, 2016, 11:00:06 pm »

I wouldn't mind even in the slightest if it were consistent.

... and Earth languages are consistent since when? German and English both frequently ignore their own rules just because things sound better. Also, it's possible to shift word order around and still be valid English. The same person could rewrite sentences in passive voice for example. It boils down to being able to be understood. Is there any time Yoda's meaning isn't clear? If it's always comprehensible then it's a perfectly valid mode of speech.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:09:08 pm by Reelya »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 07, 2016, 11:04:43 pm »

I wouldn't really take that. Language evolves naturally through meme transmission; Yoda was written by a dude. It's much easier for a dude to be consistent than very large groups of people trying to communicate.

The problem is that Yoda talks in his verb object subject order way more in the prequels than in the originals. If it were inconsistent in one movie, I probably wouldn't have noticed at all, since he communicates just fine within each as soon as you understand him. The problem is that his speech patterns are different between movies, which is odd.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:06:28 pm by Putnam »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 43