Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Research: Scrolls vs. Codices and other Library Information  (Read 52186 times)

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Scrolls vs. Codexes and other Library Information
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2015, 11:26:02 pm »

Hmm, I have 4 scholars and 1 scribe and have 2 written works so far with 3 copies made (total). I have seen my scholars going off and doing other tasks like building, working in the forges and such.

I have 3 tables/chairs in the library. Perhaps I need more tables/chairs?

You should probably have a table and chair per scholar/scribe but I don't think that is your issue.

The issue is probably 1 of 2 things;

1. Your scholars are not skilled enough so they are doing other things and only going to the library on their downtime. This will happen until they level up.

2. Your scholars have a personality trait which is bad for academic work.  Like they think knowledge is for arrogant fools or they aren't curious about the world.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 11:29:52 pm by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2015, 09:56:36 am »

I have 2 that are Legendary in their field. One is a miner who did write a codex about his experience in becoming a scholar. He still goes off and mines and also stands around discussing things with the Diagnoser who's much lower, has yet to write any books. The other is my weapon smith who's at the Great level up in skills but not yet a grand master.

What skills are best for scholars?
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2015, 04:11:31 pm »

I have 2 that are Legendary in their field. One is a miner who did write a codex about his experience in becoming a scholar. He still goes off and mines and also stands around discussing things with the Diagnoser who's much lower, has yet to write any books. The other is my weapon smith who's at the Great level up in skills but not yet a grand master.

What skills are best for scholars?

Mining is not an academic skill. On page 3 post 37 of this thread. I explain which skills are used for scholars.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2015, 04:45:01 pm »

I was going to update the wiki with this information but I'm unsure where to put it. Do you guys think it should go in the general library page or the scholar page specifically?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2015, 05:05:20 pm »

I'm starting to get a very strong feeling that dwarves that have been moody, and created an artefact, will never write a book again.
Not making a bug report yet, since it's just a strong hunch.

So please, anyone prove me wrong, if you have a dwarf that has created an artefact, and is still able to write books.

I've just proven myself wrong. One of my artefact creators just wrote a book
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2015, 05:29:14 pm »

Oh neat!
I just got a message in my alerts saying "Urist mcscholar has discovered the foraging behaviour and diet of creatures!"
In his thoughts, she has a "she feels satisfied after making a breakthrough considering the foraging behaviour and diet of creatures. In the last season, she was content after pondering foraging behaviour."

Looks like pondering can lead to breakthroughs.

The dwarf in question is an adequate tracker (she was a hunter briefly, before becoming a scholar). All her other academic skills are only dabbling.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 07:30:47 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2015, 06:23:36 pm »

Thanks for the info. I'll try fiddling with those details and assign some more scholars.

I was going to update the wiki with this information but I'm unsure where to put it. Do you guys think it should go in the general library page or the scholar page specifically?

It's scholar specific, so I'd say under the Scholar area.
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2015, 08:49:28 pm »

Ok I added this stuff to the scholar article on the wiki. I don't know how to insert links and things like that so someone with more know how ought to go and fix it up a bit.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2015, 09:06:23 pm »

Previously dwarves in my fort which hated knowledge would not go to the library.

I just got as migrants two dwarves which have level 11 in an academic skill. 1 in geography and 1 in chemist. They both have the knowledge is for arrogant fools trait. I'm going to test and see if the trait or the skill becomes the deciding factor as to whether these dwarves do library stuff or not.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2015, 03:36:08 am »

Skill definitely matters more. Even though these dwarves hate knowledge, they have lvl 10 in academic skills so they are discussing in the library.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2015, 09:23:45 am »

Hmm, I have 4 scholars and 1 scribe and have 2 written works so far with 3 copies made (total). I have seen my scholars going off and doing other tasks like building, working in the forges and such.

I have 3 tables/chairs in the library. Perhaps I need more tables/chairs?

You need tons of them, in my experience.  Dwarves will eat in the library and dwarves read at the tables and chairs.

As an aside, Mechanic is the only skill that can get to legendary because of a mood, and Organizer is fairly easy to train if you queue manager jobs.  I think organizer gives something like 10xp per task approved at the manager screen or some such.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 09:32:58 am by Bouchart »

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2015, 06:04:39 pm »

With the temple fix reading in the library seems to be the #1 activity for dwarves to do. 50% of my dwarves are reading at any given time. All my scholars are busy finding the meaning of life and I even got my first scholar visitor who actually applied for citizenship. I'm a little surprised dwarves dont sit in the tavern more but it might have something to do with the fact that I set up the library first by about a year.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2015, 05:02:58 am »

I don't think the order in which facilities are set up matters when it comes to where they eat, but rather how far they have to go to get there. I deliberately placed my library fairly far away in a location you have to pass through the tavern to reach, and it seems to work fairly well. Nobles still tend to eat at in their dining rooms, but if you keep those a bit out of the way others aren't as keen to (ab)use them.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2015, 09:27:50 am »

My casual observation is that any time you get a new book, most of your dwarves want to take a turn reading it, but not immediately.  So if you're writing a lot of books, you'll see a lot of reading to match.  If you don't write many books, then there won't be much reading to do.  I don't know if dwarves ever re-read a book.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2015, 03:10:52 pm »

I don't think the order in which facilities are set up matters when it comes to where they eat, but rather how far they have to go to get there. I deliberately placed my library fairly far away in a location you have to pass through the tavern to reach, and it seems to work fairly well. Nobles still tend to eat at in their dining rooms, but if you keep those a bit out of the way others aren't as keen to (ab)use them.

My library is furthest from the food. It either has to do with the fact that all my dwarves have at least lvl 3 in reading or that there are 100s of books to read.

I think the order they are set up in matters because it seems as if dwarves do what they are good at during their leisure activities. If the dwarf is a talented poet but a novice reader then he'll be in the tavern reciting. This is partly why you stop seeing dwarves dance after awhile. They simply get better at speaking from socializing and so they are prone to telling stories.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11